Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,144,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Go fight with the rest of the world, they disagree with you.
No, they really don't.

They have their experiences, I have mine, you have yours.

I found lower-class Americans from the NE to be among the most obnoxious tourists I ever had to deal with.

The French and Argentines were just as bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 11:45 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,700,804 times
Yet they have no problem accepting billions in foreign aid. Hm..

Old 03-01-2011, 11:47 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,948,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
No, they really don't.

I found lower-class Americans from the NE to be among the most obnoxious tourists I ever had to deal with.

Depends where you go. The Brits and Germans on vacation in Spain can be pretty obnoxious too. Take cheap vacations, cheap beer and cheap liquor and you have obnoxious tourists.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:51 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,144,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Depends where you go. The Brits and Germans on vacation in Spain can be pretty obnoxious too. Take cheap vacations, cheap beer and cheap liquor and you have obnoxious tourists.
So I have heard.

The Brits and Germans tend to behave better over here, possibly because they fear getting shot.

I found the Brits, Brazilians, Aussies and Kiwis to be rowdy and drunk sometimes, but hardly disagreeable.

Israelis are usually pretty cool, but I've had a couple of them get obnoxious.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:04 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,781,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
No, they really don't.

LOL, the poll my friend, the poll................

Old 03-01-2011, 06:53 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,481,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It's all about jealousy and envy, hell even some Americans hate wealthy Americans, is it any wonder some strangers in another country resent our wealth as a nation?

????

True. Many Americans hate wealthy Americans as we have seen, year by year, our standard of living go down as our dollar buys less and less and it takes more of them just to survive.

What I DON'T GET at all is your characterization of our nation being "wealthy". Since when does a nation that no longer manufactures or exports anything to speak of fall into the category of a "wealthy nation"?
Maybe in comparison to Zimbabwe we are "wealthy" but we are hardly wealthy as compared to South American or Asian nations.

All we have been doing since the 80's and the passage of NAFTA is kidding ourselves thinking that we could still be prosperous as a service economy while we saw our manufacturing plants shut down and relocate in other countries. What a JOKE that has been. All we have seen is things getting worse and worse and WORSE even AFTER the bailouts and the so-called "recovery" when they got even WORSE!

When we were really wealthy back in the 50's and 60's we manufactured the best quality products in the world and we managed to do it while paying workers a decent living wage.

The expansion of government and govt. regulations is what has ruined this country. The regulations and taxes drove companies overseas where it is easier and less expensive to set up and run a business. From an entrepreneurial standpoint they say it is far easier to start a business in Communist China than it is here.

Bottom line is you can't have a wealthy economy without producing things. We don't even produce our own FOOD anymore. Most of THAT is imported. Everything else besides food that we used to produce here clothes, cars, appliances, miscellaneous items used to be "Made in the U.S.A." That is HISTORY as long as things keep going as they have been.

We ALL need to WAKE-UP; SEE WHAT IS GOING ON and DEMAND that our elected officials TURN THINGS AROUND!!!!!

Old 03-02-2011, 01:40 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,862,746 times
Being disliked goes along with being powerful.

I'd rather be powerful and disliked, than to be weak and liked.

Nobody is going around bashing Ugandans around the world. Because its an insignificant country.

With the way things are going, China bashing will likely replace America bashing in 20 years around the world.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:47 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,308,305 times
I don't think the dislike is towards America in general, but towards a specific American demographic stereotype. The backwards reactionary cowboy "guns" and "bible" "kill em all" "I hate foreigners" type.

If they disliked everything American, why do they listen to American music, watch American movies, eat American franchise food, wear American clothes, yearn for American motorcycles and cars, and admire American pop and movie stars. Heck, many even speak English, and it aint because of admiration for the British.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:59 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,862,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I don't think the dislike is towards America in general, but towards a specific American demographic stereotype. The backwards reactionary cowboy "guns" and "bible" "kill em all" "I hate foreigners" type.

If they disliked everything American, why do they listen to American music, watch American movies, eat American franchise food, wear American clothes, yearn for American motorcycles and cars, and admire American pop and movie stars. Heck, many even speak English, and it aint because of admiration for the British.
People always have a love/hate relationship with the powerful.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:10 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,472,373 times
Oh yes we are hated, and frowned upon. However who is it that all these Countries call, when they are in trouble, or a disaster has occured. Yes it is like at that point they automatically expect our help, no questions asked. It is the USA that they call and know that they will get help from us. Then they like us, right!

Maybe with our Government they have a problem and with our political figures. But us wittle guys, they love to have us spent our AMERICAN HARD EARN CASH IN THEIR COUNTRIES!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies