Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 01:24 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Well roy, I support small government, and ending the nanny state BS in this country, and not having the government or anyone else telling people what they can and cannot consume!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Me too! ALL drugs should be legal. It's not a valid government role to tell us how to live our lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Well if you were actually a conservative, you would support ending laws that tells people they can't partake of a plant that grows naturally out of the ground and provides much better remedy for many debilitating diseases and chemo than absurdly expensive FDA approved remedies offer.
As a constitutional conservative I support upholding the US Constitution, even if I may disagree with the actions of Congress. Congress has the constitutional authority under Article I, Section 8, Clause 3 of the US Constitution to regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes. Therefore, Congress has the constitutional authority to prohibit the importation or trafficking of drugs, legal or otherwise.

What Congress does not have the authority to do is regulate intrastate commerce. If drugs were manufactured, or produced wholly within a given State, and sold for consumption only in that State, then the State would have the authority to make it legal or illegal and Congress would have no say.

However, if drugs cross a State or International border, then Congress has the authority to as they please with that product.

Personally, I also oppose legalization of drugs, including marijuana. However, I would support decriminalization. I cannot deny that Congress does have the constitutional authority, with regard to interstate and international commerce, to regulate or prohibit its sale within the US.

Quote:
If you were a conservative, you would be outraged that the federal government shut down the hemp industry and has kept it shut down for decades to stop farmers from competing with cotton, wood pulp paper, and other ag industries that keep lobbying for it to be kept illegal under the guise that kids will get stoned and die if hemp is made legal. (Hint, Canada allows industrial hemp and people don't try to grow drug grade marijuana in it because the quality would be outrageously low with the risks of getting caught outrageously high).
If that hemp industry was isolated to within a given State, then Congress has no authority. That State would have the authority to make it legal or illegal. It is only when the hemp industry expands beyond the State they are located in that gives Congress the constitutional authority to do as they please.

Quote:
If you were a conservative you would be outraged that the DEA actively refuses to allow Native Americans to grow hemp on their reservations even though the US government treaties with them specifically state they can.
If those Indian Tribes are growing it only for their own consumption and the product never leaves the reservation, then the DEA and Congress have no authority. When those Indian Tribes grow hemp for the purpose of exporting the product beyond their reservation, then Congress has the authority to prohibit such practices.

It would appear that none of you have considered the authority the US Constitution gives to Congress to regulate international or interstate commerce. You may not like it, but you cannot deny that they have the authority.

Last edited by Glitch; 05-30-2012 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 01:34 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
I didn't read this entire thread as I imagine that it went like the other 20,000 on the net but there is a faceless guy in Florida that would disagree that we should end the war on drugs.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:52 PM

256 posts, read 207,129 times
Eight-term Democratic Rep. Silvestre Reyes lost his bid for re-election in Texas Tuesday night, suffering a tough defeat to former El Paso City Councilman Beto O'Rourke.

Drug-Legalization Democrat Beats Rep. Silvestre Reyes in Texas Primary - ABC News

Medical Marijuana Ally Wins Oregon AG Race | StoptheDrugWar.org

A step in the right direction, this is the second time in a month in which pro drug war Democrats lost primaries.

Last edited by Spartanguy; 05-30-2012 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 02:13 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
America needs to repeal the Harrison act.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:51 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
The DEA needs to be disbanded.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I didn't read this entire thread as I imagine that it went like the other 20,000 on the net but there is a faceless guy in Florida that would disagree that we should end the war on drugs.
True. It seems rather absurd that people would want to make sure whatever drug that was behind that is perfectly legal.

There come a point where it's ridiculous to have Bernie Madoff in prison for conning people out of their money but letting them keep their minds and bodies, but the extremely greedy drug traffickers will do absolutely anything to get filthy rich, including pushing extremely addictive drugs and extremely toxic drugs even in middle schools.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
True. It seems rather absurd that people would want to make sure whatever drug that was behind that is perfectly legal.

There come a point where it's ridiculous to have Bernie Madoff in prison for conning people out of their money but letting them keep their minds and bodies, but the extremely greedy drug traffickers will do absolutely anything to get filthy rich, including pushing extremely addictive drugs and extremely toxic drugs even in middle schools.
Bernie Madoff is in prison for doing precisely what Social Security has been doing for decades - running a ponzi scheme. Robbing Peter to pay Paul. Yet no one has a problem with the government's ponzi scheme.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

If they weren't illegal there would be more control, meaning far less "pushing extremely addictive drugs and extremely toxic drugs even in middle schools."

How many liquor stores set up shop inside middle schools? None, because they're a legal business. When was the last time that anyone was killed over alcohol distribution rights? Not since the end of Prohibition.

You fail to see that legal businesses, because they work within the system and thus are more transparent, are less prone to blatant abuse than illegal businesses.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
If they weren't illegal there would be more control, meaning far less "pushing extremely addictive drugs and extremely toxic drugs even in middle schools."
Please, explain how this will work.

Quote:
How many liquor stores set up shop inside middle schools? None, because they're a legal business. When was the last time that anyone was killed over alcohol distribution rights? Not since the end of Prohibition.
When was the last time someone ate the face off another individual while consuming alcohol?

Quote:
You fail to see that legal businesses, because they work within the system and thus are more transparent, are less prone to blatant abuse than illegal businesses.
So, your suggestion is to legally sell whatever the guy in Florida took because it will then be more transparent? Nobody is less prone to abuse alcohol simply because it's legal.

I think you need to take a bit of time to think through this and try again.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:14 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Personally, I also oppose legalization of drugs, including marijuana.
Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies