Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 10:44 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,570,627 times

Advertisements

The 'big deal' is that this woman is demanding that Georgetown University supply her with birth control pills at no charge so that she can have sex without having to worry about getting pregnant.

As a superb editorial by a Georgetown Law School grad appearing in today's (March 6th) WSJ puts it, 'Georgetown's refusal to (supply her with b/c pills at no charge does not mean that she has to have less sex, but ONLY that she assume the fiscal responsibility for it herself.'

I'm as disgusted as anybody at Rush's verbal tirades against her, but she's not a victim!!!!!!

That editorial's final two lines sums up this entire episode perfectly---'Should Ms. Fluke give up a cup or two of coffee at Starbucks per month, or should Georgetown give up its religion?'

The final sentence has a perfect summation----'Even a first-year law school at Georgetown certainly knows where the Constitution comes down on that.

BTW, paying for her BCPs at her own expense would cost a miniscule $9.00/month @ Target or Walmart, according to employees of those two retailers.

Her testimony in front of Nanny Superior Nancy Pelosi in which she testified that her BCPs would cost her $1,000.00 per month is an absolute lie, but good luck getting her busted on perjury charges.

The fact that she wants BCPs is her, but expecting Georgetown to pay for them under coercion from the Federal government takes a hell of a lot of....wait for it....AUDACITY!!!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I agree, with 7 already dropping and this making nationwide attention, I wouldn't be surprised if more drop.
Hopefully more do and get Limbaugh thrown off the air
As of this afternoon, 5 more major advertisers dropped him like a rock. And this boycott has only been going on since last Friday.

Once the big spending top-tier advertisers go, they leave for good. Some 2nd tier advertisers who don't spend as much, like Colon Cleanse, may pick him up, but they won't make up for the loss of revenue.

And since EIB has a very fragile network association, which depends heavily at passing the advertiser's money around, Rush will be losing stations very soon. The big boys will go over to other talk shows and put their money there, and those others can now spread the wealth better than Rush.

He could be off the air by as soon as April. Boycotts always gather strength and stick around for a long time once they are as big as this one. Beck got kicked off Fox for losing fewer than Rush has right now, and it's going to get worse for him.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Show me your proof that women who were already fans of Rush are now boycotting him for what he said. When I say proof, I don't mean some liberal propaganda, but an actual news source. Rush has been in controversy before and he has survived.
What you don't understand....and what Rush clearly didn't understand.... is this is different than all of his other controversies. What you don't understand and what Rush clearly didn't understand is that this isn't about birth control and who pays for or doesn't pay for birth control.

This is about calling a young woman he doesn't even know a sl*t, a prostitute, and demanding that she send him a video of her having sex. This is about the fact that mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers all have young women in our lives that we cherish, love and respect. This is about the fact that every decent human being in the country is outraged that this 4 time married, convicted drug addict dares to get on the radio and attempt to humiliate a young woman....who could be our daughter, our sister, our friend, or even ourselves.....to titilate himself and his brain dead followers.

No, this is different to all his other controversies. This time we are as mad as h*ll and we aren't going to take it any more.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Sometimes, values are more important than money. These companies recognize that.
No they don't. Advertisers want to sell goods and services, plain and simple. 'Values'- whatever that might be, don't bring home the bacon.

And Rush managed to anger half the population very deeply. That's a steep hill to climb, because many women tend to hold a grudge a long time.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:02 PM

2,965 posts, read 3,533,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
What you don't understand....and what Rush clearly didn't understand.... is this is different than all of his other controversies. What you don't understand and what Rush clearly didn't understand is that this isn't about birth control and who pays for or doesn't pay for birth control.

This is about calling a young woman he doesn't even know a sl*t, a prostitute, and demanding that she send him a video of her having sex. This is about the fact that mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers all have young women in our lives that we cherish, love and respect. This is about the fact that every decent human being in the country is outraged that this 4 time married, convicted drug addict dares to get on the radio and attempt to humiliate a young woman....who could be our daughter, our sister, our friend, or even ourselves.....to titilate himself and his brain dead followers.

No, this is different to all his other controversies. This time we are as mad as h*ll and we aren't going to take it any more.
They said the same thing during his previous controversies and he is still on the air. Rush Limbaugh has the largest audience in talk radio and you and your leftist crowd aren't going to get him off the air.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
With 25 million listeners, Rush can do a lot of damage to the reputation of his sponsors!
And why would he want to do that? Revenge ain't gonna pay any of his bills.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:06 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
They said the same thing during his previous controversies and he is still on the air. Rush Limbaugh has the largest audience in talk radio and you and your leftist crowd aren't going to get him off the air.
WTH is the lovefest with RUSH? Explains, I'm dying to know the backstory. Even right wingnuts can do better than that fool.

Last edited by Ceece; 03-05-2012 at 11:34 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Show me your proof that women who were already fans of Rush are now boycotting him for what he said. When I say proof, I don't mean some liberal propaganda, but an actual news source. Rush has been in controversy before and he has survived.
Since the boycott is only 3 days old, it's hard to find info yet. No polls I'm privy to have been published yet, but take it to the bank that it is being polled. It's a strong possibility any poll results won't ever be published to the general public, because, like politics, a lot of advertising polling (and station polling) is private inside stuff.

But here is one indicator:

Boycott Rush Limbaugh's Sponsors to SHUT HIM DOWN. - Likes | Facebook

This Facebook page was created in February, and it's statistics show it got zero responses until 3 days ago. Now, the count is at 30,000. Check it out and draw your own conclusions.

Since I don't Twitter, I have no idea what the count is there, but Twitter is hotter on stuff like boycotts than Facebook is. if you know how Twitter works, I'm sure you can draw your own conclusions there, too. I don't know how to dig up Twitter data at all.

But I do know this: The Beck boycott took 4 months to grow to the size where Fox got worried. This one took 3 days, and it's far from topping out yet. I'm betting that this story will be one of the tops of the current news cycle, and that ain't good for Rush.

I used to work in the ad business. I know about radio advertising, and how it works on all sides- advertisers. stations and talk shows. My conclusions are my own, and they come soley from my experience. I don't need anyone's propaganda, liberal or conservative, to form my opinions, as I have waltzed this particular babe around the dance floor before personally.

Last edited by banjomike; 03-05-2012 at 11:41 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 11:43 PM

2,965 posts, read 3,533,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
WTH is the lovefest with RUSH? Explains, I'm dying to know the backstory. Even right wingnuts can do better than that fool.
He angers people like you! You will never shut him down.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Fact of the matter is that Limbaugh will probably make out like a fat rat from all the added publicity. He will have a larger audience and there is no doubt that there will be many companies chomping at the bit to take the place of the 7 who left. How many advertisers did Howard Stern lose over the years? All it did was make him more popular than ever and look at how repulsive he was. Same thing holds true here. Limbaugh will come back even stronger after all this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies