Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is exactly right. Astro-turf boycott campaign by the Left. They've done it before.
They certainly have.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:23 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is exactly right. Astro-turf boycott campaign by the Left. They've done it before.
The advertisers made a choice based on whether or not they thought sticking with Rush was good for their business. Why would they care if it was an "astroturf" boycott campaign that came from people who never listen to Rush anyway? They've evidently heard from real customers, and a ton of them. I really am a business owner, and from that perspective, no successful business would back out of advertising on a show like that unless they thought that advertising could do real harm.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
"You" were implicit in Fluke's testimony? LOL! You're wrong...she spoke of a friend who needed the hormones in b.c. pills for polycystic ovarian syndrome. If you knew anything about Ms. Fluke's testimony, you'd know that. Apparently, like you, the priests at Georgetown wear blinders and can't grasp that many women need hormonal therapy for certain ailments and not solely for birth control. Saying that Ms. Fluke's sexual history was "implicit in her testimony" is a cop-out...man up and reveal the source of your claims about her sexual activity. Or are your statements like those of Limbaugh...lies and personal attacks?
I listened to the woman speak. She sounds just like what Rush called her. But here... you might enjoy this from one of my FaceBook friends:

Sandra Fluke's new telephone buddy

Old 03-06-2012, 06:30 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I listened to the woman speak. She sounds just like what Rush called her. But here... you might enjoy this from one of my FaceBook friends:

No you didn't. I linked to her testimony above. She didn't say any such thing. Stop lying. As far as the article--the pill costs the same whether you have zero sex or daily sex when you take it, because you have to take it daily. Are you people really that ignorant--you do not have "$3000" worth of sex.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,778,051 times
Quote:

could u specify the portions of her testimony that made her sound like a ****...

Old 03-06-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The advertisers made a choice based on whether or not they thought sticking with Rush was good for their business. Why would they care if it was an "astroturf" boycott campaign that came from people who never listen to Rush anyway? They've evidently heard from real customers, and a ton of them. I really am a business owner, and from that perspective, no successful business would back out of advertising on a show like that unless they thought that advertising could do real harm.
I doubt they knew it was an orgainized effort. They were played like a fiddle, and I wrote to Carbonite and told them so.

After all, Rush's comments were hardly offensive at all. It was all in good fun, as usual, and he was not attacking activist Fluke per se but attacking her message and her demand that the University provide birth control for her and other women who "couldn't afford it." (right )

He actually only inferred that she was a sl_t, by her own testomony of how much she needed to spend. She was obviously having a lot of sex. That makes her a sl_t in almost anybody's book (unless you are a liberal, I guess, and they have no morals ... goes without saying).

Old 03-06-2012, 06:50 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Here's the link to her actual testimony. NOWHERE does she talk about her personal situation. EVER. She does talk about how friends who require hormonal birth control to treat medical conditions are having to pay it out of pocket, and how the Blunt bill would make it even more difficult for women to receive care for those medical conditions. She also talks about how services that provide contraceptive care for low income women are overwhelmed, that clinics are closing, and that women are turned away--that access to the care depends on what's available in your area vs. being routinely covered on health care insurance at catholic supported universities.

I'm really shocked at the amount of hate spewed at women that I've seen on this forum. Some of you have said things that decent people would never say--it's like you're feral children that grew up in locked rooms where someone threw you some occasional food, vs. being raised in a family that taught you basic manners and values. This whole conversation has been a real eye opener for me. If this hatred and fear is the view of people in power in this country, then they don't deserve to lead. I hope that translates into action in the polls in November. You might call yourselves republicans, but you are not part of the party I've supported for the last 40 years.

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Politic...%20hearing.pdf
Thanks for the link; it's much more powerful than the snippets we've seen on t.v. and her testimony is very clear that the issue is not stopping pregnancies but instead refers to diseases that require hormone therapy.
Sadly, as someone who self-identifies as a liberal, I'm not shocked by the
level of crudity and hatred being expressed; it comes with the territory.
It is stunning, however, that so many men have absolutely no regard for even women of their own party. It makes one wonder how they treat their mothers, wives and daughters. It's particularly sad to see women attack
Ms. Fluke; they have no idea how they'd be treated by their compatriots
were they to voice disapproval of Limbaugh, the Blunt Amendment, and the push to make it more difficult for people to vote. No, this isn't the party that once valued education, civility and bi-partisan compromise;
it's been co-opted by extremists who are bigoted, misogynistic and deluded by the propaganda of people like Limbaugh and Coulter.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,215,148 times
Just wonder how you can afford $23,000 a semester for College, but not condoms....

Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Quote:

No thanks...I'll pass on whatever some "sage" on FaceBook has to say about anything at all. You have repeatedly posted things about Ms. Fluke
that are untrue, and have yet to cite a reputable source to buttress such remarks. Read the testimony. That puts you on a par with Limbaugh; dishonest and consumed with self-importance. No doubt Carbonite is quaking at the thought of of losing your business. You've posted plenty of defamatory statements regarding Ms. Fluke...back them up with actual testimony or be content with knowing that sensible posters will always take your posts with a grain of salt, if they don't ignore you outright.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:02 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,941,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Just wonder how you can afford $23,000 a semester for College, but not condoms....
1) Student Loans - That wasn't that hard was it?
2) Woman rarely buy condoms. That's a "man thing" and part of her testimony was about using BC as a form of preventative medication. Granted she did not focus on that part at the beginning or long enough but that was a part of it.

Here is the thing. If she would have gone the route of BC for preventative reasons (not preventing pregnancy but cysts and stuff like that) she would have had a better case. The Pope gave an "out" for condoms when used to prevent the spread of AIDs (and I think other diseases). Get the preventative medication piece okay-ed by the church and then they just have to deal with lying to the insurance people, their Doctor and where appropriate their God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies