Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 12:16 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Yes, I know the question of his birthplace was raised during the campaign.

The people of Hawaii claim him as their native son. He was raised there from the age of 10 (or so) until he graduated from high school. His mother and grandparents were residents of Hawaii. That gives him status as a "native son" regardless of whether he was born there or elsewhere. I don't fault the people of Hawaii for the pride they have that someone from their state was elected president. I think that Kenyans also claim him as one of "their own" and some Indonesians may also feel that way about him.

Your faith in the "people of Hawaii" is just that--a belief, a "faith". I like to believe that people are basically good and want to do and be their best but that doesn't mean I throw out that blanket assessment to every single person I meet. And I am very reluctant to throw that out to most of the people who go into politics as a career or are political insiders. They may go in with good intentions but good intentions won't get you very far in that world.
Then you are trying to change the definition of "native son".

Doesn't that strike you as reaching? You are so entrenched in defending the possibility that President Obama wasn't born in Hawaii that you are changing the definition of "native son", and asserting that Hawaiians so desperately want a native son in the White House that they would want their government to hide the fact that Obama wasn't a native son.

My faith isn't in the people of Hawaii. My faith is that the people of Hawaii are just like all the rest of us Americans. They want a President that meets the requirements outlined in the Constitution. They vote for the candidate that they think will do the best job. And if it had come out during the Democratic primaries that Obama wasn't eligible, then it wouldn't have been any skin off Hawaiians' noses, just like it wouldn't have been any skin off Californians' noses. There were other candidates, and the process would have proceeded, and the Republican officials in Hawaii who revealed that Obama wasn't eligible wouldn't have lost friends or reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 12:21 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,458,253 times
Quote:
.... until some qualified forensic forgery experts can examine the actual document,...
and as i pointed out the LFBC was offered for inspection.

to date none of the "experts" the birthers have put forward would would qualify as a " forensic forgery expert ".

Old 04-10-2012, 12:23 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
actually:

0-1month hawaii
1month-2years seattle
2-6 hawaii
6-10 indonesia
10-18 hawaii
I didn't address any years before the age of 10; only stating that Hawaiians consider him a "native son" because his mother and grandparents were residents and that Obama lived there with his grandparents from the age of 10 until he graduated from high school.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:29 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
I didn't address any years before the age of 10; only stating that Hawaiians consider him a "native son" because his mother and grandparents were residents and that Obama lived there with his grandparents from the age of 10 until he graduated from high school.
Hawaiians consider him a native son because he was born in Hawaii.

That is what native son means.

Your assertion that Hawaiians consider him a native son because his mother and grandparents were residents and that Obama lived there with his grandparents from the age of 10 until graduation is speculation that goes against logic. Hawaiians know what "native son" means, even more than most Americans, because of the ethnicity of Hawaii.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:29 PM

in one bit of recent birther comedy sheriff joe arpaio is now claiming that all the GOP candidates ( romney, gingrich, santorum* and paul ) are conspiring to keep obama's eligibility a secret:

Arpaio: GOP candidates ‘hiding’ from eligibility

( * the interview was from early yesterday ).

Old 04-10-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Hawaiians consider him a native son because he was born in Hawaii.

That is what native son means.
yep.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:38 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
Then you are trying to change the definition of "native son". Not so. I never even defined "native son". I said that Hawaiians embrace him as their "native son". Some Kenyans do the same thing because his father was Kenyan.

Doesn't that strike you as reaching? You are so entrenched in defending the possibility that President Obama wasn't born in Hawaii that you are changing the definition of "native son", and asserting that Hawaiians so desperately want a native son in the White House that they would want their government to hide the fact that Obama wasn't a native son. That's your interpretation and you are reaching for meanings into what I said that are not there and that I did not say. I said earlier that it at this point it is irrelevant where he was born. What's done is done and it won't mean diddly squat about the last 3 1/2 years.

My faith isn't in the people of Hawaii. My faith is that the people of Hawaii are just like all the rest of us Americans. They want a President that meets the requirements outlined in the Constitution. They vote for the candidate that they think will do the best job. And if it had come out during the Democratic primaries that Obama wasn't eligible, then it wouldn't have been any skin off Hawaiians' noses, just like it wouldn't have been any skin off Californians' noses. There were other candidates, and the process would have proceeded, and the Republican officials in Hawaii who revealed that Obama wasn't eligible wouldn't have lost friends or reputation. You are only speculating as to what might have happened had there been anyone who knew otherwise--either before or after he was elected. No one can say "what might have been".

Old 04-10-2012, 12:56 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
In 5 years or less it will be a running joke. This battle should have been fought 4 years ago.
Are you accusing the media of not doing the vetting job that the Democrat party also failed to do? Hmmm, the media did such a great job on Sarah Palin but for some reason refused to do anything toward Obama.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
If you can bring yourself to read and comprehend what I said, you will see that I did not claim that there is anything to prove that Obama was not born in Hawaii. I said there is some compelling evidence that the birth certificate he presented was a forgery and that is the only issue I addressed.
In this case, nice lady, he jumped in just as he does so often and didn't read your post well enough to see what you said. I am pretty stupid but I read your words and saw just what you are saying now.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
And if you can bring yourself to stop chasing red herring and comprehend the only genuine issue here, you will see that it does not matter what you claimed.

Obama was born in Hawaii and is therefore a natural born citizen.
Have you noticed who the vast majority of posters here are and what side they take on about every thread on this forum? If so can you see what keeps these threads alive for so long?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies