Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 12:21 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Not true. According to Scout.com he is ranked #133 for his position. That is not high enough to earn a full scholarship to UCLA's program.

Second this is what a Scout had to say about it, prior to his signing:

[/indent]

Meet Justin Combs, Pop Progeny and Future College Cornerback - Popdust

Mind you this scout documented this BEFORE he signed with UCLA.

UCLA's football program isn't exactly a top one. Most of the talented California players go to Southern Cal. Heck Stanford has a better program.

Also he was recruited by other schools so evidently his talents were in demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 12:27 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nah...you're not the chief race baiter in these threads. It's only my imagination.

The topic was about paying for a scholarship, but i knew that you'd find a way to work your nonsense in somehow.
Leave it to you to respond with your nonsense. UCLA is in fact having an awful time attracting Blacks.
Despite diversity efforts, UC minority enrollment down since Prop. 209 | California Watch
Quote:
The percentage of underrepresented minority students admitted to the UC system dropped significantly as soon as Prop. 209 passed. Today, despite a number of policies and strategies employed by the university to diversify its student population, these groups remain a substantially smaller proportion of those admitted to and enrolled at the university’s most selective campuses – UC Berkeley and UCLA – than they were before the elimination of race-conscious policies.

What's more, the gap between the percentage of underrepresented minority students graduating from California high schools and the percentage enrolling at UC has widened.
I was merely pointing out that his high GPA coupled with his talents would make him an attractive recruit to UCLA, who is struggling to recruit Blacks.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
UCLA's football program isn't exactly a top one. Most of the talented California players go to Southern Cal. Heck Stanford has a better program.

Also he was recruited by other schools so evidently his talents were in demand.
It's a top program. Sure it isn't U Florida, FSU or U Michigan, but it is a top program nonetheless. A head recruiter even admitted that schools do not entirely recruit purely on talent anyway and that some stock is given to the celebrity status of their parents. . Joe Montana's son was even referenced. Heck, I'd even argue Eli Manning, and Phil Simm's kid got into the league based partially on name brand.

BTW for him to get a fully invested $54k per year scholarship for being the #133 DB in the country seems pretty steep and a far reach.

If the kid is good, then he's good and I'd give him credit. But as a football guy myself, I'd have to question his credentials. When I saw him, I almost could not believe it. He doesn'e exemplify a kid who was sort of groomed for this. But if he has a strong 40m time, a strong bench press and a good verticle, I'm willing to give him the benefit.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Poof Diddy or Pee Daddy or whatever he says his name is should find some needy urban kid and hand the scholarship over to them. That would be the classy thing to do, but those in the entertainment industry aren't exactly known for being too generous or civic minded.
Why would he hand over something his son earned? LMAO...that's not making any sense. If he pays for his son to attend, that is a serious conflict of interest as far as i'm concerned. Does the coach play his son over better players since daddy is paying?

That slope is slippery. Again, Peyton Manning came from a wealthy family. Why wasn't it suggested that he not take his scholarship to UT and have his daddy pay his way instead? Why should this practice start with Sean Combs?

Old 05-31-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I'm far more outraged that someone who sells the worst form of noise on the planet has so much money. I'd rather listen to car alarms than rap music.
Worse form of noise?

I got news for you...if it aint some form of acoustic jazz whether it be be-bop, big band, post bop, avant garde, or whatever, it's all noise....and most of that noise is garbage. In other words, Jazz good, non-jazz, mostly garbage.

And Sean Combs is responsible for producing lots of music that lies outside of rap.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Don't worry, he might be ahead but there is no shame in 3rd or 4th place.
Wow. Didn't know you considered yourself to be 2nd or 3rd.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I'd be more interested in why this young man applied for an athletic scholarship
in the first place, merit based or not.

Considering his father is worth billions......

There is some other young man out there somewhere that
could have used that money more - it's a no brainer in that regard.
His dad isn't worth billions. And one doesn't "apply" for an athletic scholarship. You're offered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I thought scholarships were for financially strapped individuals who are superior academically.

The kid has no money himself but his family could afford to send him to UCLA. I think he's the one who had a lavish birthday party a couple of years ago, he drives an expensive sports car as well.
He is superior academically. And athletic scholarships have nothing to do with family finances. Again, his father paying his tuition is a conflict of interest.

Quote:
Not true. According to Scout.com he is ranked #133 for his position. That is not high enough to earn a full scholarship to UCLA's program.

[/indent]

Quote:
It's a top program. Sure it isn't U Florida, FSU or U Michigan, but it is a top program nonetheless. A head recruiter even admitted that schools do not entirely recruit purely on talent anyway and that some stock is given to the celebrity status of their parents. . Joe Montana's son was even referenced. Heck, I'd even argue Eli Manning, and Phil Simm's kid got into the league based partially on name brand.

BTW for him to get a fully invested $54k per year scholarship for being the #133 DB in the country seems pretty steep and a far reach.

If the kid is good, then he's good and I'd give him credit. But as a football guy myself, I'd have to question his credentials. When I saw him, I almost could not believe it. He doesn'e exemplify a kid who was sort of groomed for this. But if he has a strong 40m time, a strong bench press and a good verticle, I'm willing to give him the benefit.
First of all, UCLA isn't a top program, and they don't have the luxury of stacking loads of blue chippers. They haven't been able to do that in football in well over a decade, if not longer. That program sucks, and they should be fortunate to take any player from a decent high school program that'll commit. I'm not saying that as an ASU homer, but because it's true. They suck.

Secondly, i've never quite seen this type of scrutiny over a scholarship athlete before from a wealthy family. Archie Manning could've paid for all three of his boys to get through college. Easily. I remember when all three Manning boys were in college, and i don't remember anyone saying anything about him paying.

This whole controversy is ridiculous.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:36 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
Quote:

[/indent]

Quote:
Combs does have some solid Divison-I offers from schools like Illinois, Iowa, West Virginia and Virginia. This is his first major West Coast offer.
UCLA Football Recruiting: Justin Combs, Son of Rapper Shawn "P. Diddy" Combs, Offered By Bruins - SB Nation Los Angeles

Other schools were interested in him as well.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:13 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nah...you're not the chief race baiter in these threads. It's only my imagination.

The topic was about paying for a scholarship, but i knew that you'd find a way to work your nonsense in somehow.
Would that make him the master baiter of C-D...

Old 05-31-2012, 02:19 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
We all know it's a merit-based scholarship, but shouldn't common sense and some semblance of concern for humanity dictate that it be a merit and need-based scholarship? I won't debate that he hasn't earned it, that goes without question. The question is, does he need it? If junior were to have a change of heart and say no to the scholarship, will the Combs family still be able to afford to send him to UCLA? We all know the answer to that.

When kids from wealthy families receive scholarships, whatever that figure happens to be, that's the exact same number of kids from poor families who couldn't receive that same scholarship. Can someone explain to me, in intricate detail, how that's just, or how that reflects on us as an overall wealthy nation?
Amazing. This kid works hard at Football and gets good grades and is offered a scholarship thanks to both and people are complaining that since his daddy is rich he should forgo the scholarship HE EARNED because of that? You have people like Paris Hilton and the Kardashian skanks doing absolutely nothing with their lives except for milking their families fortunes and this kid and his father, who FORCED HIM TO DO WELL IN SCHOOL AND SPORTS, are being attacked?

Basically what you are saying is "work hard and earn your way but if you have a rich family just use their money instead of your own.". I said it before and I will say it again. If he earns a high paying job right out of college should he forgo that salary because daddy is rich?

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-01-2012 at 04:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies