Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:27 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,957 times

Advertisements

I'm far more outraged that someone who sells the worst form of noise on the planet has so much money. I'd rather listen to car alarms than rap music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 10:48 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,076,143 times
Poof Diddy or Pee Daddy or whatever he says his name is should find some needy urban kid and hand the scholarship over to them. That would be the classy thing to do, but those in the entertainment industry aren't exactly known for being too generous or civic minded.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:05 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
but those in the entertainment industry aren't exactly known for being too generous or civic minded.
Perhaps they aren't known for it but many names you would recognize give enormous amounts of money to charity. They just do it quietly and without their publicist at their elbow.

And civic minded? Kirk Douglas builds school playgrounds. Tom Selleck had quietly done charity work in Hawaii for years and years. The list is long.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:22 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
ALL this he "earned" it stuff is still up in the air IMO.

In order to get a full scholarship to a football program of UCLA's caliber, atheltically he would pretty much have to be gifted. What's his 40m time? What's his verticle? What's his bench press? 5'9 and 175 lbs is pretty small even for the DB position at that level.

I'd like to know what credentials and awards dooes his son have for playing football. Is he All-American, All State? Quad, Triple or Double AA?

If he isnt ATLEAST nationally recognized and ranked player, I don't see how he could "earn" this level of commitment from UCLA. Sometimes school's have been known to give special treatment to the children of celebrities simply for namesake. It happens all of the time. Even master P's son Romeo "earned" a full basketball scholarship from USC for this very same reason.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:34 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Then why should anyone take your opinion as anything other than a sour grapes, non-football expert on an anonymous forum?

UCLA is not just going to give a scholarship to a football player just because of who his father is. No one is now saying "I am going to get season tickets to Bruins Football because P-Diddy's son is on the team!"

Not true. According to Scout.com he is ranked #133 for his position. That is not high enough to earn a full scholarship to UCLA's program.

Second this is what a Scout had to say about it, prior to his signing:

Quote:
Scott Kennedy, Director of Scouting for national recruitment site Scout.com, for some thoughts. While pointing out that it’s “hard to get a true scouting report off of a highlight video” due to the obvious bias contained therein, here’s how he sized up Combs
Quote:
Right away though it’s apparent that Justin is undersized. I think the[listed measurements of] 5’9/165 is probably pretty generous based on the way he looks on video. He shows some pop, though, and some aggressiveness despite not having the size to go with it, and that’s a good sign. He’s got a good backpedal and a decent hip turn, and that’s where being low to the ground helps. The hip turn is the most important part of playing corner, because he has to go from facing the line of scrimmage to protect throws in front of him, to turning and sprinting with a receiver trying to go by him. He shows good skills on his highlight tape, but like I said, everyone does.

Quote:
His size will be a liability to getting on the field. While he might not be a D1 level recruit, he’ll likely get some D1 interest simply because of his last name. With 25 scholarships to give every year, coaches aren’t afraid to burn one on a player that might not be set to crack the starting lineup simply for the ancillary benefits it might provide a program…I think if you look at all of the schools [Ohio State, Notre Dame, Alabama] that offered Joe Montana’s son Nick Montana a scholarship, you’ll realize that just about everyone may offer Justin, because he’s a bubble D1 guy…There’s a sentiment out there amongst college football fans that every player given a scholarship is done so based purely on talent. But that’s just not the case.
Meet Justin Combs, Pop Progeny and Future College Cornerback - Popdust

Mind you this scout documented this BEFORE he signed with UCLA.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:55 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Could you play football? He doesn't look much physically but evidently he gets the job done, well.

I was a kicker/DE in HS but definitely not up to college level. But could this be a case of mutual handwashing? Kid gets a scholarship, how much will the school ultimately be gifted by Dad and Son?

Old 05-31-2012, 12:03 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Poor kids can apply for government grants. Folks need to stop crying about others good fortunes and make some for themselves.

I was a poor kid and I didn't get a government grant. The state scholarship I got paid only $100/yr for books. If I had graduated with a 2.3 I wouldn't complain but I graduated with a 3.9 gpa.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
I thought scholarships were for financially strapped individuals who are superior academically.

The kid has no money himself but his family could afford to send him to UCLA. I think he's the one who had a lavish birthday party a couple of years ago, he drives an expensive sports car as well.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:12 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nah...you're not the chief race baiter in these threads. It's only my imagination.

The topic was about paying for a scholarship, but i knew that you'd find a way to work your nonsense in somehow.
Don't worry, he might be ahead but there is no shame in 3rd or 4th place.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:19 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,021,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Do you agree he should give it back?
I'd be more interested in why this young man applied for an athletic scholarship
in the first place, merit based or not.

Considering his father is worth billions......

There is some other young man out there somewhere that
could have used that money more - it's a no brainer in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies