Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 03:51 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Einstein, what is it you think I would need from urban population? I have shelter, food and water covered.
And you can thank urbanized societies for that. Are you not aware of societies existing in complete or minimal isolation? I've been to some of them. They can surely survive, and have, but they differ entirely from what you take for granted.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When your dollar bill doesn't buy anything. Whatcha gonna do?
Go back to gold & silver?
It caused problems but during the Chinese Civil war same thing happened and the cities didn't starve. The countryside on the other hand did.

The Great Chinese Inflation : The Freeman : Foundation for Economic Education

Old 01-22-2013, 03:56 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And they probably will come and take it and then probably burn your corpse for fun afterwards.
They might very well do that but it won't be easy for whoever tries. I may not win the fight but I assure you that anyone who tries and survives will remember this house for the rest of their lives.

I would much rather fight and lose than roll over and die without a fight at all.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:56 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
It caused problems but during the Chinese Civil war same thing happened and the cities didn't starve.

The Great Chinese Inflation : The Freeman : Foundation for Economic Education
Plus citiesike NYC were trading ports long before there was power. I am betting they will continue to be strong trading cities in the future as well.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:57 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Funny, I have all those same things too and enjoy having things within walking distance.
Walking distance here too, I can walk out into my back yard and harvest all the fuel I need to keep warm, I can walk into my basement and use the hand pump for water which is right next to the stocked shelves of food.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:58 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And you can thank urbanized societies for that.
I should thank urbanized society for the trees in my back yard, the water coming from my well and canned food from my garden? ROFL

Old 01-22-2013, 03:58 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
They might very well do that but it won't be easy for whoever tries. I may not win the fight but I assure you that anyone who tries and survives will remember this house for the rest of their lives.

I would much rather fight and lose than roll over and die without a fight at all.
Or they will probably raid it, burn it down, and move on to the next house. Do you think the Goths cared if anyone fought back?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
If we sent you to Russia at the time of Hitler's invasion you would tell us you'd win right?

It's not just cops with ford crown vics and pistols.
It's the military too.

You think the military would draw arms against their own families? Remember there is no military when the dollar collapses. What would you pay them with. A ham they killed their mother to take?

I see just the opposite, with the States National Guards and community militias, going after those that are aggressive. It would be total chaos in the cities.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Walking distance here too, I can walk out into my back yard and harvest all the fuel I need to keep warm, I can walk into my basement and use the hand pump for water which is right next to the stocked shelves of food.
You are clearly a racist gun nut.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:00 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You think the military would draw arms against their own families? Remember there is no military when the dollar collapses. What would you pay them with. A ham they killed their mother to take?

I see just the opposite, with the States National Guards and community militias, going after those that are aggressive. It would be total chaos in the cities.
No, but they would sure as heck draw up arms against their neighbors. That is what a messy civil war is about. The fact is just because solidiers don't get paid doesn't mean the stop fighting it just means they start pillaging. Furthermore if you have popular officers and NCOs they could just take matters into their own hands with a certain group of soldiers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies