Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:01 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And I have a problem with people who want to feel superior to other people who live in cities and claim to be better than their neighbors because he actually tolerates people who live in the country. Your great moral indignation is in and of itself a form of discrimination towards people in rural areas.

I personally would never want to live somewhere rural...I couldn't care less if someone else wants to, but that isn't something I would ever want to do. The fact that you care so much about this when you can't even speak from experience is fairly insulting, in my opinion.
I've experienced both, actually. I grew up, from childhood through high school, on a small family farm where the nearest town was six miles away and had a population of 500. In college I moved to a small town. After graduation I moved to a small city. My family still lives on the farm, meanwhile I have close friends from the Bronx, Baltimore and LA. I have family living in Boston. They all had misconceptions about rural America built up in their head until they actually moved here or visited.

The problem that people from the city have is the lack of perspective -- where the perception of people who live in flyover country is based on ignorance and stereotypes (which are often perpetuated by movies and TV shows written by people who've never been outside the city either).

People in rural places often leave for jobs in the city and have experienced both. However, there's little incentive for people from the city to move to, or even experience, honest rural America.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:29 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But if the grid goes down how to you get it ?
You can't get your water or flush your toilet.

You're not thinking about the entire picture here.
Only parts of society fails here ?

Which part that you are only concerned with food ?

Ok, you have harbors ? Oh..going to import all your food from China ? How will that arrive fresh ?
The power grid is really the only big issue that this area needs to work out.

But if you are proposing the doom and gloom prophecy, then I suggest watching Revolution because it will probably be something like that if we lose power.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I've experienced both, actually. I grew up, from childhood through high school, on a small family farm where the nearest town was six miles away and had a population of 500. In college I moved to a small town. After graduation I moved to a small city. My family still lives on the farm, meanwhile I have close friends from the Bronx, Baltimore and LA. I have family living in Boston. They all had misconceptions about rural America built up in their head until they actually moved here or visited.

The problem that people from the city have is the lack of perspective -- where the perception of people who live in flyover country is based on ignorance and stereotypes (which are often perpetuated by movies and TV shows written by people who've never been outside the city either).

People in rural places often leave for jobs in the city and have experienced both. However, there's little incentive for people from the city to move to, or even experience, honest rural America.
But that is the thing - I don't think many people in cities actually feel the way you think they feel. You are making very broad based stereotypes about people that (for the most part at least) really aren't true.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I do not think country folk are looking down, I think they are just pointing out that they will be better prepared for a SHTF scenario. Just in water and electricity a good portion of rural folks have their own wells. If electricity goes out they have a generator. I do not know of anyone near by me that does not have a well and a generator.

Also pointing out we have the resources to grow crops, hunt, and fish for food supply. Where if you are in mid to big city you have limited resources.
And when the ''stuff'' hits the proverbial fan, how are you gonna power all those ''generators'', and ''wells''.... let alone vehicles? At least city folks can usually obtain groceries without having to drive somewhere, and they still have water even when the power goes out! Heck, most country folk can't even flush their toilet without electricity!

Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Wow, the ignorant comments from the blue/city/progressives is amazing. Oh wait, you did elect our current president. The situation is and will be much different than even during the depression, if the shtf in a certain way. There might be some rifraf heading to the cities from rural america, but, I think it will be just the reverse. Nasty, city dwellling rats headed to the country.
Blue state America is mostly rural like red state America. In other words, Illinois is just as rural as Tennessee is.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
And when the ''stuff'' hits the proverbial fan, how are you gonna power all those ''generators'', and ''wells''.... let alone vehicles? At least city folks can usually obtain groceries without having to drive somewhere, and they still have water even when the power goes out! Heck, most country folk can't even flush their toilet without electricity!
As long as there is gas to be bought country folk will not have to worry about electricity, if there is no electricity they would have to adjust. And that situation how it is handled would depend on how well they prepared for long periods of no electricity and what the season is. The warmer months of course it would be very hard to keep your food in fridge/freezer from rotting. For those prepared like myself the answer would be to to thaw and can everything possible.

The other food that you can not can becomes your next meals. All condiments can be saved in the crawl space no matter what season it is. Same with water it is a giving that with out electricity I do not have water, but across the street and up the hill I can carry all the water I would ever need. I figure I go six months and maybe longer with no electricity or running water to the house.

Your claim I can always just go the store is very risky. During the Japan nuclear accident the Columbus Dispatch showed a picture of a man and child entering a store. What do you think he found? he found just as I would suspect there was not a dam thing on the shelves. If that is you what now? what is your alternative plan? please do not go I will go to another store.

Lets just say there is a big SHTF scenario would you tell me there would not be panic and swarms of people that will rush the Walmart/Kroger etc etc. Would you tell me that people will act civilized and there would be no pushing and shoving? would you tell me that a bunch of people would not just walk out of store with groceries. A person with that thinking is putting their selves at risk, I say no thanks I do not want to get beat up or end up dead over a box of Hamburger Helper.

Also consider if the Walmarts/Kroger get swarmed and their products are pulled from the shelves and taken they would have a re action, right? Do you think they would just immediately restock their store for that chaos to repeat itself? I hope you are not going to say yes to this. Until the situation is secured the stores will not stock their shelves, corporations are not stupid or morale,right?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Go read up on what's happening in Greece. The shift is away from the cities actually.
Those with money are leaving the country while those who can't are moving to rural areas.
Austerity measures are whittling salaries away to nothing.

What's been happening in Greece is reality.
What's been happening in Iceland is reality.

Both are at the extreme ends of how a country deals with debt.
The US will not go the Iceland route IMO.

1,500,000 Greeks considering move to rural areas : Agricultural and Rural Convention

Greek crisis forces thousands of Athenians into rural migration | World news | The Guardian

As Economy Implodes, Young Greeks Begin To Flee Cities For Safe Haven In Ancestral Lands - Everyday fresh news from ALL the WORLD only on Worldcrunch.com |
I believe what happened in Greece CAN happen in the US. Me personally I lean more towards a country person

Old 01-22-2013, 02:07 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
As long as there is gas to be bought country folk will not have to worry about electricity, if there is no electricity they would have to adjust. And that situation how it is handled would depend on how well they prepared for long periods of no electricity and what the season is. The warmer months of course it would be very hard to keep your food in fridge/freezer from rotting. For those prepared like myself the answer would be to to thaw and can everything possible.

The other food that you can not can becomes your next meals. All condiments can be saved in the crawl space no matter what season it is. Same with water it is a giving that with out electricity I do not have water, but across the street and up the hill I can carry all the water I would ever need. I figure I go six months and maybe longer with no electricity or running water to the house.

Your claim I can always just go the store is very risky. During the Japan nuclear accident the Columbus Dispatch showed a picture of a man and child entering a store. What do you think he found? he found just as I would suspect there was not a dam thing on the shelves. If that is you what now? what is your alternative plan? please do not go I will go to another store.

Lets just say there is a big SHTF scenario would you tell me there would not be panic and swarms of people that will rush the Walmart/Kroger etc etc. Would you tell me that people will act civilized and there would be no pushing and shoving? would you tell me that a bunch of people would not just walk out of store with groceries. A person with that thinking is putting their selves at risk, I say no thanks I do not want to get beat up or end up dead over a box of Hamburger Helper.

Also consider if the Walmarts/Kroger get swarmed and their products are pulled from the shelves and taken they would have a re action, right? Do you think they would just immediately restock their store for that chaos to repeat itself? I hope you are not going to say yes to this. Until the situation is secured the stores will not stock their shelves, corporations are not stupid or morale,right?
As a liberal that prefers rural or semi-rural life, one thing I support is the use of solar power, if only to power the refrigerator. Sunshine is plentiful in the summer months and solar panels would be a serious investment for these situations.

As is a rainwater collection system.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Not really and here is why. The NYPD alone has 40,000 uniformed officers and plenty of transportation and ordinance. You don't think that if there was a "collapse" the NYPD in some form, and other large urban police departments would organize into militias and then go collect food taxes from rural areas to keep the city going, also don't you think they would keep the harbor open to import stuff? Don't you think town PDs would do the same thing on a smaller scale?
No they won't.....They will be met with resistance.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:15 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
One big problem for rural areas in a time of social crisis would be the influx of outsiders into the countryside. For example, let's say that food prices spike, and so, people from around the region start poaching deer/elk/birds/whatever else is available.

Game wardens are not going to have even a marginal chance of enforcing the regulations anymore, which means that everything from dynamite fishing/river gillnetting to floodlight night-poaching will become common. Inexperienced hunters will flood into the forest and cause a lot of fatal and nonfatal accidents. Before long, the countryside that you thought you'd be able to rely upon for food will get picked clean of large mammals and fish of any sort.

Think of it this way - there are cases of rebel armies in places like what is now South Sudan setting up camp near crocodile-thronged rivers, and after a while, those crocs got eaten. There were no more hippo or rhino attacks on local villagers, either, for similar reasons. When armed people are hungry, don't expect the animals to prevail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies