Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 04:44 AM

977 posts, read 763,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The way people are carrying on, you'd think the classes are to be taught by Ron Jeremy and Jenna Jameson.
Your words. It says a lot.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:45 AM

315 posts, read 256,088 times
But you would like to teach them about invisible friends and talking snakes in the womb?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:48 AM

977 posts, read 763,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
But you would like to teach them about invisible friends and talking snakes in the womb?
I want to teach them science, math, English, reading, vocational skills, anything that prepares them to be productive. Not sex, evolution or creationism. Don't pretend to know me.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:04 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
Please. How would you know if this could have been prevented? These freaks prey on young children because they can be manipulated. In general, children want to please adults. They do not want to disappoint them. And these sick POS' use that.
Are you THAT dense?

By teaching a child what inappropriate touching is, and that saying no is ok, you are giving that child the ability to say no. You are giving that child the knowledge that they did nothing wrong, and that telling a trusted adult is the right thing to do.

Keeping everything hush hush makes it hard for children to talk about things like this. By giving them knowledge you give THEM power in this situation. If you everything to do with their bodies as a "dirty secret" then they will feel dirty, and not want to tell someone.

I hope you don't have children.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
I want to teach them science, math, English, reading, vocational skills, anything that prepares them to be productive. Not sex, evolution or creationism. Don't pretend to know me.
Anatomy is part of science. Basic biology is science. Basic reproduction is science.

Even evolution is science.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
My personal experience is that conservatives say and act in the name of God, presuming they know what God believes. (e.g. "God hates gays.")
Oh Bull: we do not hate gays, and where did you get the idea most of us feel God hates gays? Do you realize there are a lot of Agnotics and Atheists who are also conservative? You are choosing to lump all into one group. Like both sides, we come in all colors, all beliefs and have various ideas on right versus wrong, what is and isn't acceptable. Yes, there are those who are Bible thumping religious individuals that don't like gays or can not accept their sexual orientation, but this isn't all of us, by anymeans. Many who consider themselves religious accept all individuals. Has it occured to you many gays are practicing Christians?

Old 04-03-2013, 07:09 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperCheck View Post
So people can instill their sexually repressed bigotry into their children and prevent them from obtaining a balanced and well-rounded education.
Parents can teach their kids whatever morals they choose. School has no more business interfering with that than it does with religion.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Parents can teach their kids whatever morals they choose. School has no more business interfering with that than it does with religion.
Since when was anatomy morals?

Old 04-03-2013, 07:20 AM

21,480 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp-D-Derp View Post
Why on earth would anyone be against children learning sex education? Considering the attitude and qualities of teens these days, if they don't learn at school, they won't learn anywhere.

Knowledge does not cause pregnancy. It answers questions that children have. If your child is old enough to ask a question, s/he's old enough for an age-appropriate answer.

The day a child stops asking questions is the day their soul has died. The art of parenthood is to *teach* your children to *want* to learn. Not keep them from doing it.
After all these years of sex education, it's obvious that knowledge doesn't prevent pregnancies either. No one objects to the old way of beginning the process in 5th grade and beyond, but kindergarten is just too young. I don't mind teaching kids that young about "good touch-bad touch", but I do have a problem with them going into the whole "relationships" issue - i.e., gender identity issues, same sex couples, etc. I'm not against same sex couples, even the ones raising children. But I do feel that these issues are not necessary to teach a 4 or 5 year old.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So I take it you don't think public schools should exist at all? I mean, shouldn't the parents be teaching their children everything - and not be so lazy to put that on the schools? They did just fine without schools for hundreds of years, right?

Btw, I fail to see how teaching kids basic sex ed = raising the kids for their parents. Is that all there is to raising a child? Sounds easy!! And if you're as anti-control (yeah right) as you claim to be, I'd think you would support offering ALL possible courses and giving parents the option of opting out; which is how things work now. But nooooo, what you actually DO want is control, but cannot see the forest for the trees.
Apparently you either don't read what I've posted or you have a comprehension problem, i never said anything bad about public schools, all I've said is that 5 year old children don't need this, their time would be better spent by learning the basics like reading. reading is the key to an education. it's really a simple concept if you think about it. You can argue until you turn blue but kids are lacking the basics and until that is fixed adding senseless classes is a waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies