Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 12:17 AM

193 posts, read 340,381 times

Advertisements

Was offended at the title. Then I read it.

OP has critical reading problems.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:31 AM

334 posts, read 451,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. Don't let the other posters confuse you, nobody (according to the article) is proposing they teach children about SEX. They even refer to it as sexual health education, and clearly outline what will be taught to each age group. So what is horrifying about your nephew learning basic anatomy and reproduction?

I, as did all persons of my generation had "Sex Education" in the seventh grade(way too old) but back then it was called Health and Human Hygiene and we were only taught the basics of reproduction and Venereal Diseases. Since "where babies came" from wasn't taboo in our house, the only thing I learned was the biology of it.

Very few parents can teach their children human reproduction without mixing in their own repression and prudishness regarding it.

I wonder at what level is it okay to teach children human reproduction? A 100% biological route?(NO talk of penises, vaginas, intercourse, etc.) At what age ? I believe some posters in this thread think it should be the night before their wedding.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:34 AM

334 posts, read 451,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnknown67 View Post

I can understand the reason for homeschooling now.
So people can instill their sexually repressed bigotry into their children and prevent them from obtaining a balanced and well-rounded education.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:10 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnknown67 View Post
I predicted a response like that so it comes as no surprise to me. The irony of the matter is that on many other issues we are probably in complete agreement but I'm on the opposite side in this issue. We are probably in agreement when it comes to other issues such as gay rights, civil liberties and the likes.

I can understand the reason for homeschooling now.
Did you read my entire post - particularly the parts about how nothing "explicit" will be taught? So are you saying you're in disagreement with teaching basic anatomy and reproduction at a young age?

The exact age when this is appropriate might be subjective, but I find it hard to believe you don't think they should learn these BASIC facts fairly young. When did you learn where babies come from (in simple terms), what your body parts were called, etc? I am a public librarian, and we have many picture books on the subject... for those who don't know, picture books are generally aimed at the PREschool-aged children. And before anyone makes a "modern days" comment, some of these titles date back to my childhood.

P.S. I'm sure we do agree on other issues, but I also probably have more firsthand experience with early childhood education than you. And since I'm not a parent, but solely an educator, I can also view this topic from a purely developmental and educational standpoint. Matter of fact, I even wrote my Master's "thesis" (paper) on childhood development and how it pertains to library materials.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperCheck View Post
So people can instill their sexually repressed bigotry into their children and prevent them from obtaining a balanced and well-rounded education.
Too bad no children can be sheltered 100% forever, especially in this day and age... personally I'd rather my children get a combination of school-run education, mixed with parental guidance, so they get the full picture. And given my utter hopelessness at biological sciences, it's probably best I let the schools handle most of the technical stuff anyway.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:56 AM

229 posts, read 332,212 times
Quote:
Did you read my entire post - particularly the parts about how nothing "explicit" will be taught? So are you saying you're in disagreement with teaching basic anatomy and reproduction at a young age?

The exact age when this is appropriate might be subjective, but I find it hard to believe you don't think they should learn these BASIC facts fairly young. When did you learn where babies come from (in simple terms), what your body parts were called, etc? I am a public librarian, and we have many picture books on the subject... for those who don't know, picture books are generally aimed at the PREschool-aged children. And before anyone makes a "modern days" comment, some of these titles date back to my childhood.

P.S. I'm sure we do agree on other issues, but I also probably have more firsthand experience with early childhood education than you. And since I'm not a parent, but solely an educator, I can also view this topic from a purely developmental and educational standpoint. Matter of fact, I even wrote my Master's "thesis" (paper) on childhood development and how it pertains to library materials.
I just personally feel that it's not the state's job to educate children about sexual anatomy/matters at such a young age. It should be left up to the parents to educate their children about this matter. Obviously in the day and age we live in now children have to be made aware of it at an earlier age, than 20-30 years ago.

In the mid 70's at the age of 8 I was molested and I didn't even know what was happening to me. I still carry the scars 37 years later. I was also at a convent school from age 8 to 14. However, at age 12 or 13 I have absolutely no objection to the schools teaching sex education then, because let's face it teaching abstinence doesn't work at all. I learned about sex in my teens.

I have no problem at all with sex between consenting adults.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:41 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
In the mid 70's at the age of 8 I was molested and I didn't even know what was happening to me.
And there you have it......all the more reason to teach kids about good touch and bad touch. I'm sorry this happened to you, but if you had been better prepared, you may have been able to stop it.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:42 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
The way people are carrying on, you'd think the classes are to be taught by Ron Jeremy and Jenna Jameson.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:40 AM

977 posts, read 763,806 times
Quote:
Yes you can. It's quite simple - here are the body parts, girls have these and boys have these. I learned about that stuff before I learned about sex, and "sex ed" has different criteria for different age groups. Didn't you learn these things at a young age, or did you call them "hoo hoos" and "ding dongs" until you were a teenager?
Okay. We'll role play a little............

"But Mr. Teacher. What do these parts do? Mommy told me that babies came from her tummy. How does that happen?"
Oh and BTW teacher, I do not recall being taught baby making in kindergarten. Learning to tie a shoe was enough.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 AM

977 posts, read 763,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
And there you have it......all the more reason to teach kids about good touch and bad touch. I'm sorry this happened to you, but if you had been better prepared, you may have been able to stop it.
Please. How would you know if this could have been prevented? These freaks prey on young children because they can be manipulated. In general, children want to please adults. They do not want to disappoint them. And these sick POS' use that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies