Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 11:06 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Learning a new language is a GOOD thing. It doesn't matter which language it is. You have no idea what kind of life your kids will have, so why hobble them with ignorance?
Americans are insular beyond belief.
I learned the best language in the world a long time ago: the language of MONEY.

Everything else is a translation.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 AM

15,838 posts, read 14,472,390 times
If you're smart, you'd learn Chinese. Now there's the language of the future.

Spanish, not so much. Yes, there are a lot of them here, and more coming. But they're going to learn English.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:29 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
I wasn't aware my family was going to move to Spain, Latin Americor anywhere where the primary language is Spanish. Do you know something I don't?

Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
yep;chinese. its really shipanic i US that ned to realise the benefit they are missing in not speakig english.Even the cihinese long ago started recogniso ing this i this worl economy.Cihinese would be a much better cocie :I agree.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:43 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I'm gonna learn it. The times, they are a changing. In just a few decades, if you don't know Spanish, you're gonna be a like a Canadian that doesn't know French. Your (or your kids) job availability might suffer. Get ready before it's too late.

Think about this. Do you think of Mexico as Mexican people.. or American people? Do you associate mannerisms or skin color with your thoughts of who they are? Or might look like? Or what food stuffs they prefer? By about 2050, it won't be "Kookoo for cocoa puffs." It's gonna be "Más huevos rancheros"

This might sound like some kind of immigration thread. Maybe. Thing is though, is that a few races in the USA are being out bred. In a few decades, everyone on the world stage is going to see us as Mexico 2.0. It's like when someone mentions Africa and you think of a certain race. Is that race Black or White or do you have no association at all? I do. It's Black. Like when you read "30 people tried to vote and they got shot in Africa." Do you think of White people or Black people. In 30 years, everyone is going to be looking at the USA as a predominately Hispanic/Latino nation. It's like, If I say "hot Russian chick" do you think of a blond, blue eyed girl... or of the 100's of thousands of Chinese people there? Yeah, they look just as Chinese as the other Chinese people....from China. How many people read an article about problems in Russia and think of someone that looks Chinese?

Get ready for it. It's already happening.

Dora the Explorer and the Destiny Medallion (Part 1) - YouTube
What's happening? Some people in the USA are speaking Spanish? OK. But it's not nearly a requirement, nor is it likely to become one any time seen. Most second generation (and probably every third generation) Americans, speak English. They may ALSO speak Spanish, but there are very few who don't speak English.

That said, what's wrong with learning a second or third language? I studied Spanish & French in high school. I'm not fluent in either, but I have traveled to both Spanish speaking and French speaking locales and managed to get by.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Are any other foreign languages than Spanish even offered in most high schools now?
Here in NJ, my kids can study Spanish, French, Italian, & Chinese. In middle school. There may be others, but these I remember being available.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Exactly what a sad people many Americans have become. I won't be learning Spanish why would I want to learn the language of my maid? Please.
It's statements like that one, by the way, that cause some to label you a racist, and to view everything you say through that prism.

Speaking the same language as a person you hire to do a job for you isn't a bad thing. Better & clearer communications with your employees might result in the job being done more completely to your satisfaction. Come to think of it, why would you ever hire someone with whom you CAN'T communicate?

Old 05-06-2013, 11:52 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
What's happening? Some people in the USA are speaking Spanish? OK. But it's not nearly a requirement, nor is it likely to become one any time seen. Most second generation (and probably every third generation) Americans, speak English. They may ALSO speak Spanish, but there are very few who don't speak English.

That said, what's wrong with learning a second or third language? I studied Spanish & French in high school. I'm not fluent in either, but I have traveled to both Spanish speaking and French speaking locales and managed to get by.
Well, one poster said "Why learn Spanish? I'm not going anywhere."
A few weeks ago, I read a post saying "Why learn geography? I don't travel and have no intentions of doing so."
What's next? "Why learn history, since I'm not going back in time?

Old 05-06-2013, 11:53 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA
Exactly what a sad people many Americans have become. I won't be learning Spanish why would I want to learn the language of my maid? Please.
I feel sorry for you.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
yep;chinese. its really shipanic i US that ned to realise the benefit they are missing in not speakig english.Even the cihinese long ago started recogniso ing this i this worl economy.Cihinese would be a much better cocie :I agree.
Would you mind translating that from whatever language it is into English, so that we might read it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies