Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 01:57 PM

58,992 posts, read 27,280,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And that would kill somebody else whose survival depends on that pair of donor lungs. What you are asking for, right now, is for one political appointee to decide who lives and dies. Is that what you want? Really?
"What you are asking for, right now, is for one political appointee to decide who lives and dies. Is that what you want?"

IMO. That is a pretty stupid assertion to make.

A little reading on the subject BEFORE making such assertion might give you a little more credibility.

I know it might be tough for some to understand.

ALL the mother is asking for is for her daughter to BE PUT ON THE LIST. The doctors have already evaluated her condition have concluded she is a viable candidate for a transplant. The DOCTORS should decide the order of those that get a transplant.

If the daughter is ranker No.1 or No.12, it shouldn't be made by the government but, by the medical community. The daughter should NOT be excluded because she is 10 and not 12.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Changed to what? You think this is a good case for a market economy solution?
Why do you ask a question then answer the question with another question with an assumption? Do you think YOUR assumption is the only answer to the first question?

It sounds like you are trying to "lead" the answer.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Please explain in detail why Sibelius should grant a waiver for this particular girl in deference to the 1,682 people on the lung transplant wait list?

From what I have read this girl is expected to live 2 to 3 weeks if she doesn't get the transfer.

What is the life expectancy of the other 1,682?

The mother ONLY wants her daughter to be PUT ON THE LIST. She is NOT asking to be "bumped" per say. She wants her daughter evaluated like the rest of the 1,682.

Why should her, and others in the same situation, NOT be put on the list and let the doctors makes the medical determinations on the order of who gets a transplant when.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Yes, with a stroke of the pen, Sebelius could toss the established rules and snatch a set of lungs slated for someone else to save a dying child - essentially swapping one life for another, based on public bias. Those rules are in place to establish an order of how things should proceed in order to remove personal biases. If you want to change the rules governing the system, then that's fine - work to change them. But special exemptions based on bias (that this child has more right to an organ than the person who would otherwise get it) just corrupt the system.
Sebelius has stated she will have the 12 year old age requirement rule looked into. That means she is NOT locked into the rule.

Unfortunately the girl will be dead BEFORE the evaluation of the rule is determined.

i repeat, the other is ONLY asking for her daughter to be PUT ON THE LIST. She is NOT asking to have her daughter bumped. Let the doctors determine who gets a transplant, not bureaucrats.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:18 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,200,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"What you are asking for, right now, is for one political appointee to decide who lives and dies. Is that what you want?"

IMO. That is a pretty stupid assertion to make.

A little reading on the subject BEFORE making such assertion might give you a little more credibility.

I know it might be tough for some to understand.

ALL the mother is asking for is for her daughter to BE PUT ON THE LIST. The doctors have already evaluated her condition have concluded she is a viable candidate for a transplant. The DOCTORS should decide the order of those that get a transplant.

If the daughter is ranker No.1 or No.12, it shouldn't be made by the government but, by the medical community. The daughter should NOT be excluded because she is 10 and not 12.
Her daughter is already on the PEDIATRIC list. The success rate for transplanting an adult lung into a childs body are slim, so the DOCTORS who set the guidelines for transplant recipients set the age. The government didn't.

Why do you feel that the rules should be changed for her, and not for the dozens of other children waiting on the list?

Old 06-05-2013, 02:19 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,077 times
Death panels have existed for decades...whether it is a committee that meets to discuss the "decision" or whether it is two doctors quietly colluding in the hall way. There was one incident that really stuck in my mind. I was sitting having a private conversation with a young nurse while visiting someone in the hospital. She was very candid with me. In her hand she held a syringe filled with morphine. Plain as day and with semi-humor she said "This is what we use to get rid of old people" - sounds like the "death panel" can consist of ONE - who's actions are tacitly condoned.

When you hear about a person passing away - you will always hear that they are "comfortable" prior to death...It is not the cancer or the kidney failure that they finally die from...It is the morphine that kills them...If you are given enough, your ability to breath is impaired and you suffocate while in a morphine induced stupor. You can't speak but you know you can not breath...There is no easy way out.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:22 PM

556 posts, read 622,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Death panels have existed for decades...whether it is a committee that meets to discuss the "decision" or whether it is two doctors quietly colluding in the hall way. There was one incident that really stuck in my mind. I was sitting having a private conversation with a young nurse while visiting someone in the hospital. She was very candid with me. In her hand she held a syringe filled with morphine. Plain as day and with semi-humor she said "This is what we use to get rid of old people" - sounds like the "death panel" can consist of ONE - who's actions are tacitly condoned.

When you hear about a person passing away - you will always hear that they are "comfortable" prior to death...It is not the cancer or the kidney failure that they finally die from...It is the morphine that kills them...If you are given enough, your ability to breath is impaired and you suffocate while in a morphine induced stupor. You can't speak but you know you can not breath...There is no easy way out.

It's when the government gets involved that I get scared. Will they consider Tea party status?

Old 06-05-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Yes medical centers must meet certain qualifications for a transplant center in order to get reimbursed for such services from Medicare or Medicaid.

What does this have to do with attempting to jam an adult sized organ into a small sized ten year old and thereby denying someone who would live if they were rightfully given those organs?
What does your question have to do with the post I was responding to?

"Originally Posted by carterstamp
Not a death panel, and your premise, as usual, is bogus. Sebelius is not in charge of the transplant network.

Can we stop the nonsense now, or is it too much to ask?"

Try and keep up.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post

Sounds like you can't tell the difference between a statement that's a joke and one that isn't.
Furthermore, if that's what they're using to "get rid of the old people', why didn't they use it on your mother, as opposed to withholding food and water?
(And that whole story had holes you could drive a Molson truck through.)

Old 06-05-2013, 02:29 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Sebelius has stated she will have the 12 year old age requirement rule looked into. That means she is NOT locked into the rule.

Unfortunately the girl will be dead BEFORE the evaluation of the rule is determined.

i repeat, the other is ONLY asking for her daughter to be PUT ON THE LIST. She is NOT asking to have her daughter bumped. Let the doctors determine who gets a transplant, not bureaucrats.
This is a link to the entire process for lung transplants, as well as the changes made, and by whom. It also explains the process for the Review board, special circumstances. Note that the 2-part priority system for those under the age of 12 was created in 2010.

Quote:
What if my doctors do not agree with my lung allocation score or pediatric priority?

If your transplant physician or surgeon believes that you have exceptional characteristics, and that your needs are not adequately reflected by your lung allocation score, then your transplant center may ask the Lung Review Board to review your situation. Similarly, if a transplant physician or surgeon feels that a lung candidate younger than 12 has a medical condition comparable to Priority 1, but does not meet one of the criterion listed in policy, they may request the Lung Review Board to review the pediatric candidate's situation. The Lung Review Board is a national group of transplant physicians and surgeons who will consider your special circumstances and determine what steps to take.

Will the lung allocation system change in the future?

As transplant professionals apply this system and learn from it, some changes will likely be required to better meet the needs of transplant candidates. In fact, this system is designed to be flexible and allow for improvements. For example, the lung allocation score was first implemented in 2005 and the simple priority system for pediatric candidates younger than 12 was implemented in 2010. In organ transplantation, as in all scientific fields, new studies are taking place all the time to learn how to save more lives and how to help people live longer and fuller lives. The lung allocation system is reviewed periodically, and adjustments may continue to be made to the way lung allocation scores are calculated. Your transplant team will keep you informed of changes to the system and what you may need to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies