Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 PM

515 posts, read 624,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
This is what I'm saying. Redemption.

I think what Obama is truly trying to say is that "stop profiling people because you think they are 'criminal'". Those assumptions can be very dangerous. You're not looking at the entire human being/spectrum if you do that.
Why should people stop if it helps them stay safe and out of trouble by using their instincts?

I'll write it again. Profiling, although unfair to some, saves lives. Profiling although bigotted, keeps people safe.

Profiling helps cops put crooks behind bars and keep terrorists off the streets.

For every one thousand AA's who have been annoyed to hear a car door get locked as they walk by there are at least one or two people who might have prevented a robbery or car jacking or their family from being harmed.

The numbers don't lie and sometimes stereotypes work. Whether it is the color of your skin or clothing or socio-economic profile these things work to give us clues. Clues that keep us safe.

Who is more likely to commit crimes, a group of kids sitting around in preppy or nerdy clothes or kids with gold teeth, baggy pants and hoodies?

It doesn't mean this is a universal truth but the fact is certain tell-tale signs that lend themselves to "profiling" actually tend to be useful and keep good people safe and out of harm's way.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:49 PM

515 posts, read 624,731 times
Quote:
Same here.

I think he's trying to unify the bridge that 'it happens to all black people'. It's more of a clear message, than some of the BS I hear on this forum: "Maybe if Trayvon just dressed better". NO. As a black person, you get profiled regardless of how great you are. You can become a billionaire, but still get profiled because you 'don't belong'.

It's a wakeup call message IMO. You can't judge by appearances.
And regardless of your skin color you will be profiled by what your wear, how you speak (or do not speak) and how you present yourself.

If you would like to put all the cards against you and wear gold teeth or hoodie and baggy pants and get tattoos or speak like you've never kissed whitey's ass a day in your life that is your perogative but don't think for a minute a person with even a sixth grade education and something to lose will decide to not profile you because it's the nice or right thing to do. They are going to keep themselves and their families safe and step to the other side of the street when they see you.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:49 PM

662 posts, read 1,049,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I suspect Zimmerman would have shot a young man that was white, physically large, and attacking him.

Zimmerman may not have followed a young white male wearing a hoodie. Then again... maybe he might have if the guy's mannerisms and walk were distinctive of that of modern, urban, "thugs."

Zimmerman should have never followed Trayvon. None of this would have happened for either him or Trayvon.

But there is no reason to make Trayvon out to look like a morally innocent angel or Zimmerman out as some neo-nazi out to purge his neighborhood of blacks.

I don't really know either but so far as I can tell this is an American story involving race, apparel, at least one gun and two Americans from different "corners" of America clashing one day (or evening or whatever it was). It kind of reminds me of that movie Crash. And its two people that ultimately--judging from the results--didn't make the best choices in how to handle their suspicions and frustrations.

In some ways I don't blame Trayvon for punching or beating Zimmerman. And in some ways I don't blame Zimmerman for shooting Trayvon.

Obama comes from the "cool" black collegiate background (not mentioning much of his formative years spent in Hawaii) that views the back crime rate and all the sociological characteristic associated with it, from a very disconnected academic way, with some emotional investment placed into cliches about racial experiences. Not that some of those experiences do not occur for most or all Black-American males. Sometimes... one over emphasizes their importance I think.

I think the Baby Boomer Black-Americans and older generations of Black-Americans were far more unjustly victimized by unwarranted suspicions than my generation of Black-Americans (Gen X) and younger generations. Not that no one in these generations don't receive unfair suspicions at times, but they are probably few and far between if you're not dressed a certain way associated with certain things.

It may be unfair to a certain extent, maybe, but the fact is how you dress often provides some indication of your social status, cultural affiliation, values, or even your profession.

Even if you are a great guy, but dress like others around you in your hood, with something like saggy pants, or in Trayvon's case hoodies, people are going to make judgements about you. If they're from your hood and/or culture they might not think ill of you, but if they're not they might make an immediate negative judgement.

(Hell, it was a female Black-American teacher in community college that told the class I was in that people make choices in what fashion they want to dress in that reflects their values and attitudes.)

Clothing:

This may be true. Clothing is important.

But it still changes hands when white people wear it versus black people. When white people start sagging, it's 'cool' or something a young person does.

Again no one seems to have an issue with the Beibs...

Old 07-19-2013, 09:50 PM

153 posts, read 156,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I would like to see a reality show that has a white teen walk through a black community with a hidden camera.

Then have a black teen walk through a white community with a hidden camera.

Then have both of these teens walk together through the two neighborhoods with a hidden camera.

I think this would be a very revealing happening and I think President Obama just may get a touch of what America and its neighborhoods are really like. He doesn't have a clue.
Already been done.

Black. White. (TV Series 2006

Amazon.com: Black. White.: Season 1, Episode 1 "Hour 1": Amazon Instant Video

Old 07-19-2013, 09:51 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,138,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Oh, I understand what he's trying to say...

Black, good.

White, bad.
If he really want's a reflection of prejudice, maybe he should just look in the mirror. If he wants a picture
of prejudice all he needs to do is point his camera at Erick Holder & click.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:52 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,784 times
Quote:
no one seems to have an issue with the Beibs...
Comparison is fallacious.

Nevertheless, the Biebs is about as intimidating as an effeminate chihuahua in a tutu.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:55 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Jews didn't persecute other Jews. Blacks in Africa are just as liable for enabling the slave trade and committing crimes against other blacks as they are now in this country and in Africa as well.

What does that have to do with ignoring the past in this country?

Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
The push is on, just like I said.............expect a very corrupt and very insane Big Brother to charge Zimmerman with something.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:59 PM

662 posts, read 1,049,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Comparison is fallacious.

Nevertheless, the Biebs is about as intimidating as an effeminate chihuahua in a tutu.
No, that's fallacious.

Biebs still broke a lot of laws and would be criticized if he were black. The actions are the same.

Unless YOU want to continue with the argument it's always 'worse' when a black person does it.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:05 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,784 times
Quote:
No, that's fallacious.

Biebs still broke a lot of laws and would be criticized if he were black. The actions are the same.

Unless YOU want to continue with the argument it's always 'worse' when a black person does it.
False. It is fallacious to compare a globally known celebrity to an unknown person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies