Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 06:26 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

One only has to TRY and discuss race in a calm and rational manner - for some right winger to put his finger and scream 'RACE BAITER'!

It's a great way of putting a stop to any and all discussion.
They are SO afraid, deathly afraid to have this discussion. They can't put their hands around the fact that even though SOME of what they say is true (sure, there is black on white prejudice, there is playing of the race card, and there are two sides to the story), they can't possibly accept that race still plays a role in our country.

It's absolutely true that people (doesn't matter what color they are) react differently when the see a young black man. They are just a little more weary. It doesn't make them bad that they do, society has conditioned them to be this way.

What makes them bad is that they refuse to recognize this. They refuse to understand that while race relations have absolutely come a long way in our country, while civil rights have come a long way, that there is still a long way to go. The only shame in that fact would be if we didn't continue to recognize it, and try to continue to move forward.

The President is the leader of all Americans, not just some. He was right to say what he said, and anyone who feels that he wasn't, clearly doesn't want to hear anything that is in conflict with "their truth". It takes a lot of courage to face tough facts. Especially when you (me/we) bear some of the burden of change.

Myghost (a middle aged, centrist, white guy...)

Old 07-20-2013, 06:37 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,524,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
They are SO afraid, deathly afraid to have this discussion. They can't put their hands around the fact that even though SOME of what they say is true (sure, there is black on white prejudice, there is playing of the race card, and there are two sides to the story), they can't possibly accept that race still plays a role in our country.

It's absolutely true that people (doesn't matter what color they are) react differently when the see a young black man. They are just a little more weary. It doesn't make them bad that they do, society has conditioned them to be this way.

What makes them bad is that they refuse to recognize this. They refuse to understand that while race relations have absolutely come a long way in our country, while civil rights have come a long way, that there is still a long way to go. The only shame in that fact would be if we didn't continue to recognize it, and try to continue to move forward.

The President is the leader of all Americans, not just some. He was right to say what he said, and anyone who feels that he wasn't, clearly doesn't want to hear anything that is in conflict with "their truth". It takes a lot of courage to face tough facts. Especially when you (me/we) bear some of the burden of change.

Myghost (a middle aged, centrist, white guy...)

Old 07-20-2013, 06:50 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Summary :

He sends his thoughts to the Martin Family
He identified himself with the deceased
He reminded the country of the history of racism and violence towards african americans and the fact the justice system is harsher towards them
He acknowledged the disproportionate crime rate of young black males and said it had to be looked at through the historical and economic context
He said some people use those crime rates as an excuse to generalize against all young african american males
He also said that black on black violence is more likely that white on black
The right wing is in denial when it comes to the racism and prejudices towards african americans
Had Trayvon Martin been white, both outcome and aftermath would have been different
Federal charges against GZ are unlikely
Authorities will have to be learn to treat minorities more fair
Stand your ground laws should be re-examined since whoever survives can claim self-defense
People should engage in a reflection on their thoughts and judgements and some might find that they are actually prejudiced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHBdZWbncXI

( Sorry I can't embed the video )
His comments were reasonable but unnecessary. I would much rather he started off saying the DOJ case against George Zimmerman is over it's time to move on. Then if he wanted he could continue with comments he made. He's just fanning the flames.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:04 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,736,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Bi-racial

Africans in Africa won't claim him as their own & you know that.
What?

Old 07-20-2013, 07:05 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,765,333 times
I'd like to know why he chose a social issue to speak of rather than others that are much more pressing to American livelihood.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:09 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I would much rather he started off saying the DOJ case against George Zimmerman is over it's time to move on. Then if he wanted he could continue with comments he made. He's just fanning the flames.
I'm pretty sure that is EXACTLY what he did:

President Obama’s remarks on Trayvon Martin (full transcript) - The Washington Post

This is what he sad, after first sending his prayers and thoughts to Travon's family. (and yes, I agree he could have extended that to the Zimmerman's, but he didn't).

Quote:
The judge conducted the trial in a professional manner. The prosecution and the defense made their arguments. The juries were properly instructed that in a -- in a case such as this, reasonable doubt was relevant, and they rendered a verdict. And once the jury’s spoken, that’s how our system works.
But if you look at the full transcripts, you'll see that all the sound-bit players are not giving the full story. He did exactly what you wished he would have...

Old 07-20-2013, 07:10 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I'm pretty sure that is EXACTLY what he did:

President Obama’s remarks on Trayvon Martin (full transcript) - The Washington Post

This is what he sad, after first sending his prayers and thoughts to Travon's family. (and yes, I agree he could have extended that to the Zimmerman's, but he didn't).

But if you look at the full transcripts, you'll see that all the sound-bit players are not giving the full story. He did exactly what you wished he would have...
Reading is fundamental. I said the DOJ case. That would take the air out of all these silly petition drives and move folks on to broader issues if they so care.

Also how about some empathy towards Zimmerman? The fact that he and his family are living in fear is unconscionable.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Ahhh, I've had people in cars lock there doors when I walk by, and store owners follow me around, course I'm white, May be the way thangs are now, cause I'm lily white u freakin crybaby.
When I am out driving and a male is walking, whether he's white, black, green, yellow or blue, young, old, or in a wheelchair, I lock my car and move, take off, re-park, get away. WHY? BECAUSE the U.S. is one helluva f*d up place where there are more guns than people - thanks, NRA, you buncha a-holes! Also because it's not women that are shooting, raping, and beating women. It's males.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:19 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It was one more Me, Me, Me, I, I, I speech.

He lost another golden opportunity to be a leader.
>>> Good insight. Once again, it was all about him.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
What does that have to do with ignoring the past in this country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies