Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 07:15 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,797,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
3% of the population commits 1/2 the murders, what's the deal here and how is this accepted?
Young black males are probably also much poorer than other Americans, and more poverty = more crime.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:03 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Young black males are probably also much poorer than other Americans, and more poverty = more crime.
Part of it. Another part is the materialism issue. Materialism is an issue in the USA in general. Unfortunately, those who are the poorest will be the most adversely affected by materialism. Consider this. I think there is a difference between growing up in a poor, rural area and growing up in a poor, urban area. In rural areas, certain resources aren't as readily available. On the other hand, materialism isn't as rampant, mainly because it is rather far away. In areas such as the inner city, you have the poor areas, but you aren't that far away from rich areas. It's far enough to be a different world, but close enough for one to see it. There is this idea of "in order to get respect, one has to have money and flashy stuff". And this goes into another problem, as I will describe below.

There is also another thing to think about. One thing I've noticed is that there are some Black people who internalize the very worst stereotypes about them, especially young men. There is a message that being a "gangster" or a "thug" is considered "cool" and that that is all young Black men could strive for. Don't get me wrong. Yes you have those like Bill Cosby, Cornel West, and other Black men who are educated, who have some popularity. However, being a "gangster" is what sells. Being a "thug" is what sells. This goes into rap music. The message being pushed is that the "thug" or the "pimp" gets the ladies, the money, and the respect. Songs about selling drugs to get money and flashy stuff, and women. That sells. Socially conscious rap music doesn't sell. And there is an irony to this. The largest consumer of gangster rap is young suburban Whites. However, alot of violence is Black on Black.

To go even further, I know a guy from Russia, who is still learning English. He could recite a 50 Cent song, and I basically had to tell him "shut up", not literally, but you get the point. I had to consider that he was 19 and repeating a song. However, the song had the "N" word in it, so I had to stop him right there. What did this tell me? Thug culture sells, and not just in the USA, but all over the world. And it is embarrassing for me. I am a Black man from the USA, who has nothing to do with that culture, who doesn't buy that music, but it sells all over the world. Being a gangster gets someone rich, which is quite sad.

In order for this music to stop selling, it isn't only Blacks who have to stop buying it.

I had my father to keep me from internalizing this stuff. Being a nerdy Black kid, I remember being 13, 14 years old, and having so many problems fitting in. I started getting little hints that in order to fit in, I had to "act Black" as some people called it. I consider that stupid because why does a person have to "act a color"? And the irony is I didn't live in a predominantly Black area. I lived in a predominantly White suburb, and was getting picked on mainly by White kids, and eventually some Black kids. I had a stint where I listened to some rap music, and then my father had to explain to me about some of that stuff, and what it was really about. He basically told me not to internalize any of that stuff because it was stupid stuff. I had someone to guide me. Many people never had that, and took all their "manhood lessons" from anyone around, and it was often bad role models.

My point. There are people who internalize materialism, gangster culture, and other bad stuff, and sometimes feel like they are suppose to do that in order to "fit in" or "survive" their environment. One has to know where this comes from in order to do something about it. It starts with the parents explaining to their children that such culture is counterproductive, no matter how flashy it looks.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:19 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Part of it. Another part is the materialism issue. Materialism is an issue in the USA in general. Unfortunately, those who are the poorest will be the most adversely affected by materialism. Consider this. I think there is a difference between growing up in a poor, rural area and growing up in a poor, urban area. In rural areas, certain resources aren't as readily available. On the other hand, materialism isn't as rampant, mainly because it is rather far away. In areas such as the inner city, you have the poor areas, but you aren't that far away from rich areas. It's far enough to be a different world, but close enough for one to see it. There is this idea of "in order to get respect, one has to have money and flashy stuff". And this goes into another problem, as I will describe below.

There is also another thing to think about. One thing I've noticed is that there are some Black people who internalize the very worst stereotypes about them, especially young men. There is a message that being a "gangster" or a "thug" is considered "cool" and that that is all young Black men could strive for. Don't get me wrong. Yes you have those like Bill Cosby, Cornel West, and other Black men who are educated, who have some popularity. However, being a "gangster" is what sells. Being a "thug" is what sells. This goes into rap music. The message being pushed is that the "thug" or the "pimp" gets the ladies, the money, and the respect. Songs about selling drugs to get money and flashy stuff, and women. That sells. Socially conscious rap music doesn't sell. And there is an irony to this. The largest consumer of gangster rap is young suburban Whites. However, alot of violence is Black on Black.

To go even further, I know a guy from Russia, who is still learning English. He could recite a 50 Cent song, and I basically had to tell him "shut up", not literally, but you get the point. I had to consider that he was 19 and repeating a song. However, the song had the "N" word in it, so I had to stop him right there. What did this tell me? Thug culture sells, and not just in the USA, but all over the world. And it is embarrassing for me. I am a Black man from the USA, who has nothing to do with that culture, who doesn't buy that music, but it sells all over the world. Being a gangster gets someone rich, which is quite sad.

In order for this music to stop selling, it isn't only Blacks who have to stop buying it.

I had my father to keep me from internalizing this stuff. Being a nerdy Black kid, I remember being 13, 14 years old, and having so many problems fitting in. I started getting little hints that in order to fit in, I had to "act Black" as some people called it. I consider that stupid because why does a person have to "act a color"? And the irony is I didn't live in a predominantly Black area. I lived in a predominantly White suburb, and was getting picked on mainly by White kids, and eventually some Black kids. I had a stint where I listened to some rap music, and then my father had to explain to me about some of that stuff, and what it was really about. He basically told me not to internalize any of that stuff because it was stupid stuff. I had someone to guide me. Many people never had that, and took all their "manhood lessons" from anyone around, and it was often bad role models.

My point. There are people who internalize materialism, gangster culture, and other bad stuff, and sometimes feel like they are suppose to do that in order to "fit in" or "survive" their environment. One has to know where this comes from in order to do something about it. It starts with the parents explaining to their children that such culture is counterproductive, no matter how flashy it looks.

Ex-cel-lent post

I grew up in the hood and was a nerdy kid when I got there and learned to adapt to my surroundings when dealing with thuggish types. Now I'm an adult and I work in a professional environment I have to adapt to these corperate types. Quite honestly I did better in the hood since I know what they are trying to get as oppose to the workplace where I never know what are their true intentions are.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Ex-cel-lent post

I grew up in the hood and was a nerdy kid when I got there and learned to adapt to my surroundings when dealing with thuggish types. Now I'm an adult and I work in a professional environment I have to adapt to these corperate types. Quite honestly I did better in the hood since I know what they are trying to get as oppose to the workplace where I never know what are their true intentions are.
It is somewhat similar to my father. My father grew up in the hood, and he learned how to adapt. I never did grow up in the hood. The closest I came to it was living in a suburban apartment complex in a relatively questionable part of town. Other than that, I've basically grown up in the suburbs/exurbs. Where I lived was one of the rural areas that turned into a bedroom community. The dichotomy that existed had its own character. Large redneck contingency, and there were Blacks moving in from other counties in metro Atlanta. There were some who had a "ghetto" mindset. There were some who didn't have that mind set. And then middle class Whites living in the relatively new subdivisions, as well as some Blacks moving into the houses. I didn't live in the ghetto. However, just the same, I had my own issues fitting in.

I think with me, I internalized being an outsider, who rather than adjust to my environment, I developed a mentality of "whatever". As an adult now, part of that is still in me. I'm the type who person where the only time I ever "went along to get along" is if it meant the difference between employment and unemployment. Outside of that, I developed an individualist mentality.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
It is somewhat similar to my father. My father grew up in the hood, and he learned how to adapt. I never did grow up in the hood. The closest I came to it was living in a suburban apartment complex in a relatively questionable part of town. Other than that, I've basically grown up in the suburbs/exurbs. Where I lived was one of the rural areas that turned into a bedroom community. The dichotomy that existed had its own character. Large redneck contingency, and there were Blacks moving in from other counties in metro Atlanta. There were some who had a "ghetto" mindset. There were some who didn't have that mind set. And then middle class Whites living in the relatively new subdivisions, as well as some Blacks moving into the houses. I didn't live in the ghetto. However, just the same, I had my own issues fitting in.

I think with me, I internalized being an outsider, who rather than adjust to my environment, I developed a mentality of "whatever". As an adult now, part of that is still in me. I'm the type who person where the only time I ever "went along to get along" is if it meant the difference between employment and unemployment. Outside of that, I developed an individualist mentality.

There is another post that relates to this very same subject where a white guy asks the question why black people talk differently at work and when they are around their own people.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
There is another post that relates to this very same subject where a white guy asks the question why black people talk differently at work and when they are around their own people.
What I was trying to say as far as "go along to get along" had more to do with my personality. I've been told that I don't smile much, and that some people take it as "hostile" because of my lack of smiling. That is actually one part of my personality.

My thing was not adapting was this. To some Black students(in high school), I wasn't "Black enough", and some White students gave me alot of problems, and it was mainly rednecks. I got to a point where I just basically didn't care. I couldn't adapt to anything because it never interested me. I just decided "be myself and forget the rest of the world".

As for that thread, I've seen it. Not too thrilled about it.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:43 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
If people want to bring genes into the reasoning as to why blacks continually make poor choices, yet are unprepared for the consequences, then they are justifying blacks are less than the other races.
Indeed. If you assume it's due to genetic factors then you also have to assume that they are a lesser people which is obviously racist and not true.

IMO it is because of poor parenting.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
What I was trying to say as far as "go along to get along" had more to do with my personality. I've been told that I don't smile much, and that some people take it as "hostile" because of my lack of smiling. That is actually one part of my personality.

My thing was not adapting was this. To some Black students(in high school), I wasn't "Black enough", and some White students gave me alot of problems, and it was mainly rednecks. I got to a point where I just basically didn't care. I couldn't adapt to anything because it never interested me. I just decided "be myself and forget the rest of the world".

As for that thread, I've seen it. Not too thrilled about it.
I'm really concerned about my nephew who is bi-racial and how he will adopt to his surroundings when he gets older. But I understand where you are coming from.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
to be fair , it is not accepted by anybody i know, but lets be fair, but it is certainly not a subject that gets aired much.
50% of homicides are black on black violence. its true NRA needs to clean it up, but let us each do our own dirty laundry and not put it on others please.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:14 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
It seems to be a huge problem in the African American community. Young black men disappearing at an alarming rate. Yes the killers are also young blacks. See the recent Ebony series. Ebony Special Report: Saving Our Sons | Urban Prep Academies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies