Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2013, 11:36 AM

73,042 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

^Either way, one issue is that there are Black people who internalize low expectations that are being set for them, the stereotypes, and other bad stuff. It isn't the only thing, but it is one important part of the equation. How do get someone to stop internalizing the bad stuff expected from them is one part of solving problems.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:47 AM

237 posts, read 192,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Or bouncing in and out of jail themselves.
There's a lot of that going on.
I'm in the schools, I see it.
More often than not it's "grandma" doing the care taking.
I didn't want to say it.

However, I'm black. I was raised differently. It must be my Jamaican parents. In Jamaica, you strive for excellence, because there in no welfare to save you. In America, my parents were looked at as criminals for whipping me. I believe in the belt and I knew they loved me despite if they whipped me. It made me a man. I'm not easily offended like most morons because of that.
Education wasn't life to my parents, but it was important. You get made fun of for being educated in. I grew up with gifted blacks who wasted their talent to avoid getting bullied. Its all about culture.

However, this isn't a black problem. Why should successful blacks be saddled by the ghetto? This is a ghetto problem. It happens among Hispanics, whites, and to a much lesser extent Asians. America needs to sraighten up its lower class.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
^Either way, one issue is that there are Black people who internalize low expectations that are being set for them, the stereotypes, and other bad stuff. It isn't the only thing, but it is one important part of the equation. How do get someone to stop internalizing the bad stuff expected from them is one part of solving problems.
Crack down on gangs. Force inner city cops to actually be effective instead of annoying residents.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:18 PM

12,043 posts, read 6,576,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
Exactly, if you are raised as a criminal, you will act like a criminal. Black males are raised as criminals. Rap music tells them there criminals, the cops tell there criminals, the media tells them there criminals, schools treat them like criminals, and employers treat them like criminals.

What do you expect? There parents (excuse me-- parent) aren't going to raise them, because they are working. Society raises them as lower class criminals and they turn out to be lower class criminals...
Stop blaming outside elements. Women were raised and told for centuries that they were inferior, weak-minded. They were raised to believe they were unable to do the jobs men could do. They faced a myriad of prejudices and abuses, but that didn't stop them from proving to the world they were not inferior. Black men were given the right to vote before women in this country. If women can overcome these obstacles, certainly black men can.

Wasn't it Jesse Jackson who said, "Excellence is the best detergent to racism?"

Old 12-24-2013, 12:23 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Stop blaming outside elements. Women were raised and told for centuries that they were inferior, weak-minded. They were raised to believe they were unable to do the jobs men could do. They faced a myriad of prejudices and abuses, but that didn't stop them from proving to the world they were not inferior. Black men were given the right to vote before women in this country. If women can overcome these obstacles, certainly black men can.

Wasn't it Jesse Jackson who said, "Excellence is the best detergent to racism?"
That is because when the WHITE MAN, the traditional oppressor of white women, decided that he wanted his DAUGHTERS and SISTERS to have a better life, then used the privilege and power of the white man to make it happen. The white man has no such vested interest in black folks.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:24 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,946 times
i still think this is being overplayed, primarily by white males who want to "stick it" to black men.

the truth is violent crime and murder are at its lowest levels in years.

you people are wasting your time going over a statistic that represents less then 3 percent of the overall black population.

there are more important things that affect a larger percent of blacks then black on black murder, which is black unemployment and white corporate racism against blacks in the hiring process.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:27 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Idle youth is not a good thing at all. Young men of any race need to be working and be productive.

Some middle class youth will lay around and do nothing but play video games all day which isn't good but they're not out on the streets at least. Also idle youth and tons of easily available drugs is bad.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Idle youth is not a good thing at all. Young men of any race need to be working and be productive.

Some middle class youth will lay around and do nothing but play video games all day which isn't good but they're not out on the streets at least. Also idle youth and tons of easily available drugs is bad.
Give high schoolers more internships opportunities let the old people retire out of McDonalds and give the young folks their jobs back.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:36 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Give high schoolers more internships opportunities let the old people retire out of McDonalds and give the young folks their jobs back.
I agree with you, I can recall when there were summer jobs and after school programs there was less crime. Now all of the sudden these programs dried up and the money disappeared into the pockets of the wealthy

Old 12-28-2013, 07:16 AM

73,042 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Crack down on gangs. Force inner city cops to actually be effective instead of annoying residents.
Alot of harassment coming from many police officers hasn't really done much to help. And another issue I've read some stuff about slow response times by the police.

Neighborhood outraged by slow police response times | www.ktvu.com

A Journal Sentinel Watchdog Update - New records show slower police response time in Milwaukee

Did slow police response allow crazed man to come back and slash cab driver? | PIX 11

Detroit Police Response Times No Guide to Effectiveness - WSJ.com

Police response times slow: how to address the issue? - Time Warner Cable News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies