Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2013, 06:39 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The thing is, the only time Black crime is ever really brought up(especially violent crime) is when non-Black people are affected by it. If it's mainly Blacks being affected, no one cares. Usually, it is approached from the perspective of "Blacks are a problem in society, they must be controlled". And that goes into another issue. I would argue there are some Black people who don't want to publicly bring this issue up because of the idea of "airing out dirty laundry". There are those who feel that there is alot of scrutiny towards Blacks already, and for that reason, do not want to bring the issue of Black on black violence up.

On one hand, many who bring up Black crime only do so because they have an axe to grind when it comes to Black people. It is brought up out of animosity towards Blacks. It is sometimes looked at in the context of "Blacks are a problem and society is better off without them".

On the other hand, there are those who do care, who don't want to see Black men murder each other. Some who do speak out get silenced because it's an embarrassing issue to talk about, especially with the scrutiny towards Blacks already. And then there are those who do speak, but don't want to do it publicly.
Honestly the issue of black on black violence has gotten toxic and taboo. It's gotten to the point where if I, as a white man, bring up the issue I could get looked at as trying to stir the pot or my intentions would be questioned. I don't look at inner city violence as a "black problem" it's an American problem. These are my American brothers and (sometimes) sisters killing each other...spilling American blood. I don't want to see Americans killing each other at this rate, it is disturbing.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:45 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's parents that don't give a crap about their kids from the minute they are born.

That's your problem right there.
And there's not a damn thing any one of us or anyone in the government can do about it.
This is probably the most important issue in the nation period. A nation without strong family units is doomed. The black communities in America have seen their family units decayed and eroded for a while now and they are reaping the unfortunate consequences of that right now. Don't be fooled though, this is not a "black issue" because across the board the family unit is decaying and no demographic or race is immune to the consequences of a destroyed family unit. Nothing will put America down the tubes faster.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:00 AM

12,043 posts, read 6,578,423 times
Quote:
The thing is, the only time Black crime is ever really brought up(especially violent crime) is when non-Black people are affected by it. If it's mainly Blacks being affected, no one cares.
This is mostly not true.
My friends and associates do care and are deeply frustrated by the suffering caused by black-on black crime.It is hard for blacks to understand and see clearly the constraints that liberals have put on free speech in this country. As a white person, we can not opening talk about black-on-black crime because we are immediately filtered as racist or extremely politically insensitive. Our jobs and careers can even become at stake.The media takes great pains to avoid mentioning it in any truthful light because of the backlash, and if a black leader tries to tell it like it is, they are labeled as an Oreo, a sell out, or a brainwashed right-wing Tea Party loony.

So how are we ever going to improve this problem, if we can't even get it out in the sunshine to see it clearly?

Old 12-24-2013, 07:11 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,043,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
This is probably the most important issue in the nation period. A nation without strong family units is doomed. The black communities in America have seen their family units decayed and eroded for a while now and they are reaping the unfortunate consequences of that right now. Don't be fooled though, this is not a "black issue" because across the board the family unit is decaying and no demographic or race is immune to the consequences of a destroyed family unit. Nothing will put America down the tubes faster.
It IS a black issue because as you say there are many non-black families that have also broken down and have plenty of problems in America. BUT the majority of kids and teens from these broken families DO NOT turn to crime and become thugs and career criminals. This isn't the case with blacks where a high proportion of black kids DO grow up to be criminals.

That's why this IS a black issue because if black youths were committing crime at the same rates as white youths, we wouldn't be having this discussion of black crime in the first place. And if black youths were committing crimes at the same rates as Asian youths, we'd be praising blacks to the high heavens for being so peaceful and civil. But clearly this isn't happening is it? Because blacks are committing WAYYYYY more crime than they should be for their population size and hence why its a black issue rather than an American issue.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:19 AM

73,050 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
It IS a black issue because as you say there are many non-black families that have also broken down and have plenty of problems in America. BUT the majority of kids and teens from these broken families DO NOT turn to crime and become thugs and career criminals. This isn't the case with blacks where a high proportion of black kids DO grow up to be criminals.
I disagree because there is alot of crime in many Hispanic neighborhoods. There aren't as many broken families within the Hispanic population, but they do exist in large numbers, and the result has been crime. One major difference between crime from Hispanic gangs and Blacks criminals is this: Many Hispanic gang members might take their victims over the border and kill them. Blacks can't take their victims anywhere, so the spatial distribution is strictly domestic.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:35 AM

40,954 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
One major difference between crime from Hispanic gangs and Blacks criminals is this: Many Hispanic gang members might take their victims over the border and kill them. Blacks can't take their victims anywhere, so the spatial distribution is strictly domestic.
This is an assumption that might apply to southern CA only but I doubt it. Hispanic gangs in areas like Dallas and Houston (and almost all cities) are to far away from the borders to make the effort and affect the numbers.

If they are going to kill someone they don't care where they do it.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:36 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post

That's why this IS a black issue because if black youths were committing crime at the same rates as white youths, we wouldn't be having this discussion of black crime in the first place. And if black youths were committing crimes at the same rates as Asian youths, we'd be praising blacks to the high heavens for being so peaceful and civil. But clearly this isn't happening is it? Because blacks are committing WAYYYYY more crime than they should be for their population size and hence why its a black issue rather than an American issue.
I believe the poster had it right the first time.

It's an American issue just like the poverty, drug abuse, and hopelessness of parts of Appalachia is one of OUR issues.

We're not divided by race, or class, or any other metric. At least we shouldn't be.

I do believe that most Americans care about the high murder rates in this country. I really do. They may not actively follow what's going on, but its something they care about just like they'd care if there were more school shootings or other tragic events where there's loss of life.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:38 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,043,480 times
Quote:
I disagree because there is alot of crime in many Hispanic neighborhoods. There aren't as many broken families within the Hispanic population, but they do exist in large numbers, and the result has been crime. One major difference between crime from Hispanic gangs and Blacks criminals is this: Many Hispanic gang members might take their victims over the border and kill them. Blacks can't take their victims anywhere, so the spatial distribution is strictly domestic.
Black crime and murder rates are much higher than Hispanic crime and murder rates. This despite the fact that there are more Hispanics in America than there are blacks by MILLIONS. So while latinos have their problems, its still not nearly as bad as blacks and their problems.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I'm from Chicago, (city, not the burbs) murder capital of the US. About 90% of the murders is black on black or Hispanic. Most is due to gangs/drugs.
You're right though, in that most people don't care if it's just gangbangers killing eachother. We might say "oh, that's too bad. Another 16 yr old black kid shot because of his gang" but then we move onto the sports page and take another drink of coffee.
It's hard to feel sorry for someone who puts themselves in those situations when they already know the consequences.
It isn't just gang members getting killed. Sometimes kids who happen to live in that neighborhood who have nothing to do with gang activity get killed.

And something about Chicago. Chicago gets abut 500 murders, but there are also 2.7 million people living there. New Orleans, Baltimore, Detroit, and Newark have far higher murder rates than Chicago, so I dispute the "murder capital title".

Just the same, there is alot of violence in alot of Chicago's Black neighborhoods. Blacks get murdered at a rate of 31 murders per 100,000 in Chicago.

This is the general thing. When many people discuss violent crime committed by Blacks, it is rarely discussed if it's mainly Blacks getting affected by it. If non-Blacks are affected by it, then there is alot of concern. When there are people who have a genuine concern about the plight of Black people when it comes to crime, they are afraid to talk about because the #1 time Black crime is ever discussed, it's in the context of "Blacks are a blight on society, society is better off without them". There isn't the context of "Blacks get affected by crime alot too. Blacks are often victims of it".

My point is this. Crime is a sticky subject to discuss because there is alot of anger and resentment. Often, when I hear mentions of Black crime, it's in a context of anger and resentment towards Blacks.It's viewed as "in order for us to be happy, they have to be excluded and kept away from everyone". This is not going to solve any problems as it is going to stir up more anger.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Black crime and murder rates are much higher than Hispanic crime and murder rates. This despite the fact that there are more Hispanics in America than there are blacks by MILLIONS. So while latinos have their problems, its still not nearly as bad as blacks and their problems.
Actually, you said there are many non-Blacks who come from broken homes but don't resort to crime. I responded by saying there aren't as many broken families within the Hispanic population as there are in the Black population. There are far more broken families within the Black population, and for that, it would make sense that many Black males turn to crime.

I also presented another factor that you ignored. The factor of many Hispanic criminals causing harm to their victim across the border rather than here, so it doesn't get recorded in the USA. You only look at the statistics. I look at the statistics, and then look at what factors drive those statistics. It's called critical thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.