Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2013, 07:46 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I believe the poster had it right the first time.

It's an American issue just like the poverty, drug abuse, and hopelessness of parts of Appalachia is one of OUR issues.

We're not divided by race, or class, or any other metric. At least we shouldn't be.

I do believe that most Americans care about the high murder rates in this country. I really do. They may not actively follow what's going on, but its something they care about just like they'd care if there were more school shootings or other tragic events where there's loss of life.
The thing is how can it be an American issue when its only one group of people that commit crime and murder at rates many times higher than any other group of people in the US? If crime/murder rates were similar across most or all races/ethnic groups then I can see why it would be considered an American problem, but this isn't the case at all.

In Canada blacks commit the most crime and murder as well, so now that's a Canadian issue rather than a black one as well? Cmon now. Two different countries, two different histories, same group of people who commit the most crime/murder yet you want to make it a national issue in both cases rather than stating the obvious and acknowledging the common dominator in both cases?

Old 12-24-2013, 07:47 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
There should have been massive investment in actual public housing years ago as in Europe.

You need to read about Chicago public housing. No offense, buy being a bleeding heart liberal and feeling sorry for people who (many) aren't willing to help themselves doesn't do anyone any good.
It takes two to make a baby. Maybe men should put their pants on once in awhile.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:50 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
The thing is how can it be an American issue when its only one group of people that commit crime and murder at rates many times higher than any other group of people in the US? If crime/murder rates were similar across most or all races/ethnic groups then I can see why it would be considered an American problem, but this isn't the case at all.

In Canada blacks commit the most crime and murder as well, so now that's a Canadian issue rather than a black one as well? Cmon now. Two different countries, two different histories, same group of people who commit the most crime/murder yet you want to make it a national issue in both cases rather than stating the obvious and acknowledging the common dominator in both cases?
How do you think those neighborhoods got so bad in the first place? And WHEN do you think it started happening?

Old 12-24-2013, 07:52 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
This is an assumption that might apply to southern CA only but I doubt it. Hispanic gangs in areas like Dallas and Houston (and almost all cities) are to far away from the borders to make the effort and affect the numbers.

If they are going to kill someone they don't care where they do it.
In Dallas and Houston, they are far away. However, for places like Southern California, and the border areas of Texas, it plays a factor. Consider El Paso. Very low murder rate. Across the border is Cuidad Juarez, thousands of murders. There is slightly more geographic mobility in this case.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:58 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In Dallas and Houston, they are far away. However, for places like Southern California, and the border areas of Texas, it plays a factor. Consider El Paso. Very low murder rate. Across the border is Cuidad Juarez, thousands of murders. There is slightly more geographic mobility in this case.
Not that big of a factor. Juarez murders are from the Mexican drug cartels killing Mexican nationals as is most murders on the Mexican side.

The Mexican Border is a war zone.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Actually, you said there are many non-Blacks who come from broken homes but don't resort to crime. I responded by saying there aren't as many broken families within the Hispanic population as there are in the Black population. There are far more broken families within the Black population, and for that, it would make sense that many Black males turn to crime.

I also presented another factor that you ignored. The factor of many Hispanic criminals causing harm to their victim across the border rather than here, so it doesn't get recorded in the USA. You only look at the statistics. I look at the statistics, and then look at what factors drive those statistics. It's called critical thinking.
If you acknowledge that there aren't as many broken non-black families than there are broken black families, then how can it be an American issue when its clearly a black issue? One group of people clearly have huge problems with being able to raise their kids to be non-violent and non-criminal while every other race/ethnic group of people don't have similar issues in doing the same. As I've said numerous times previously, non-black parents seem to be doing something right to be raising most of their kids properly to be decent people while black parents clearly aren't.

Also with regards to latino crime, if it happens outside of the US, then why should it matter to statistics regarding the US? As well you don't mention that many of those crimes involving Hispanics are illegal immigrants and are NOT American citizens as opposed to the vast majority of blacks who are American citizens.

So why don't you compare the crime rates of latino Americans who are actually American citizens to blacks who almost all who commit crime are American citizens?

Old 12-24-2013, 08:06 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
does it? how do you know? where are the stats on this?

Old 12-24-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
How do you think those neighborhoods got so bad in the first place? And WHEN do you think it started happening?
I don't know when it started, but the reason why many black neighborhoods got so bad and still remain bad to this day is because blacks themselves allow it to continue unabated. Not enough blacks have the desire to clean up their neighborhoods and change it for the better.

And certainly not enough blacks have the will or perhaps even the desire to learn to raise their kids properly so that they don't become criminals and continue the cycle of violence and crime in their neighborhoods, otherwise this problem could have been greatly reduced or even mostly stopped a LONG time ago.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:25 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
If you acknowledge that there aren't as many broken non-black families than there are broken black families, then how can it be an American issue when its clearly a black issue? One group of people clearly have huge problems with being able to raise their kids to be non-violent and non-criminal while every other race/ethnic group of people don't have similar issues in doing the same. As I've said numerous times previously, non-black parents seem to be doing something right to be raising most of their kids properly to be decent people while black parents clearly aren't.

Also with regards to latino crime, if it happens outside of the US, then why should it matter to statistics regarding the US? As well you don't mention that many of those crimes involving Hispanics are illegal immigrants and are NOT American citizens as opposed to the vast majority of blacks who are American citizens.

So why don't you compare the crime rates of latino Americans who are actually American citizens to blacks who almost all who commit crime are American citizens?
If it is happening in this nation, to Americans, it is an American issue. Blacks suffer from broken homes the most. However, if it is only a Black problem, then why can the same result be found in other groups given the conditions are the same? More broken families, more people who think from a perspective of "I have no hope, and nothing to lose", and therefore, crime comes out of that.

And alot of non-Black parents, go look at the societies over there, and look who is coming to the USA. And even Africans coming here are far better educated and have more traditional family values. No broken homes among the African immigrants I've come into contact with.

And with crimes committed by Hispanics, it does matter where the crimes are committed because it skews the numbers. I look not only at statistics, but what drives those statistics.

And in order to compare the numbers between American Hispanic citizens, and Black Americans, one thing to look at is this: Hispanics can be of ANY ethnicity and race. Cubans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Hondurans, Dominicans, Ecuadorians,etc.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:28 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times
Quote:
I don't know when it started, but the reason why many black neighborhoods got so bad and still remain bad to this day is because blacks themselves allow it to continue unabated. Not enough blacks have the desire to clean up their neighborhoods and change it for the better.

And certainly not enough blacks have the will or perhaps even the desire to learn to raise their kids properly so that they don't become criminals and continue the cycle of violence and crime in their neighborhoods, otherwise this problem could have been greatly reduced or even mostly stopped a LONG time ago.
I'll hit on some of the issues later or when I have more time but if you researched the conditions in many of our worst communities, there is no mystery as to why they are doing so poorly as a whole. The only mystery to me is why the problems have persisted so long.

If you think its an issue that "a single family can solve" or that, "anyone can pull themselves up out of that environment," then I'd advise you to visit some of the most depressed areas in this country.

I'm not making excuses for every situation or for the crimes committed by some, but what I am saying is that its not as easy as you think to survive in some of those environments AND become a productive citizen.

I'll keep it short in saying that if you truly wanted to see inner city crime fall, you'd vote to End the Drug War and to bring decent jobs back to our inner cities.

I'd vote the same type of initiatives for many rural depressed areas because God knows they need help too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies