Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 03:47 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The newscaster said Walmart only did it so that people would have food to take home to their families.

Sure, some shoppers may have overdone it a little and charged up a few items over the balance on their card. Who wouldn't get excited if someone suddenly offered you free food? But I don't think our society wants children to go hungry.
Who offered free food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 04:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You will never win if you try to prosecute... time and cost is irrelevant if you can't win... you have to prove they knowingly committed fraud and theft... that evidence is only in their heads and you are never going to get access to it...

I hope the EBT program doesn't settle with Walmart because it is 150% Walmart's fault... if you do something stupid, you deserve whatever is coming... I would NOT bail them out... Walmart knew the rules and choose to not play by the rules... they are the only ones that should be held accountable...
I agree.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Amazing you'd blame Wal Mart for this. Let me ask you this, who holds the most responsibility for this?

A)Wal Mart
B)The State
C)The people who loaded up their shopping carts knowing they had no funds to pay for it and walked out the door with it.
Walmart is not the only grocer in the state. Yet, it appears they were the only grocer to override those controls built into the EBT system.

Of course the folk who filled their carts with food in excess of their balances were opportunists. They are not too different that people who run up credit card debt without a thought as to how they will pay the minimum balance when due, let alone the full outstanding balance.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:37 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Can ANYONE really say they were surprised this happened?

Old 10-14-2013, 04:40 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The newscaster said Walmart only did it so that people would have food to take home to their families.

Sure, some shoppers may have overdone it a little and charged up a few items over the balance on their card. Who wouldn't get excited if someone suddenly offered you free food? But I don't think our society wants children to go hungry.
Yea, see what happens when someone tries to be helpful? They always take advantage of it. Such low class.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:42 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I agree.
I don't agree. These people knew that they didn't have enough on their EBT card but are the definition of GREED. Of course everyone is expected to let losers off the hook. Enabler!

It's Christmas!

Last edited by petch751; 10-14-2013 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 04:45 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Of course it would have a good outcome. When people become too weak to have sex, or too malnourished to be fertile, they stop having chilluns they can't pay for. Problem solved!
yeah, we know how well this strategy worked in any developing country you can think of.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
The ones I've seen don't seem to be the least bit ashamed or thankful. Honestly, I would guess 99.99% of them don't have the vaguest idea where the money comes from. Many right here don't seem to realize it comes from We, the People, NOT their imaginary Uncle Sam. They truly DO NOT GET IT! It's their way of life, passed down generation to generation.

It's magic, doncha know!

Sickening.

Most folk at the grocery store or just about anywhere else use some sort of card to pay for their purchase.
I have never seen anyone use an EBT card. I am minimally a cart away from the person in line in front of me. How exactly does one know what sort of card people are using? People don't wave their cards, do they? Does an EBT make a unique sound ( taxpayer screams, for instance) when its used?

Old 10-14-2013, 04:49 PM

7,503 posts, read 5,752,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
For several hours, EBT cards stopped showing their balances in parts of Louisiana. Walmart stores in Springhill and Mansfield, LA took pity on EBT users and announced that they would accept the cards on good faith, so welfare users “could get food to their families.”

What happened next is both Walmarts were jammed packed. Entire shelves were cleared as EBT card holders raced to the stores and filled up carts with anything they could grab.

Walmart began accepting the cards on good faith at 7:00 PM. However, at 9:00 PM the balances started showing again. Immediately a woman was caught trying to “buy” $700 worth of stuff with a balance of $.49.

When loudspeakers announced that EBT balances were showing again, dozens of patrons immediately abandoned their carts. It seems the majority of the the people remaining in line were knowingly trying to defraud Walmart. Both Walmarts were left cluttered with jam packed carts. The EBT card holders were simply trying to get more free stuff at Walmart’s expense.

Perishable items left in the carts were ruined.

EBT users abuse generous Walmart to steal goods
Everyone of the leeches are Obama voters and are the reason this country is a massive train wreck.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:51 PM

7,503 posts, read 5,752,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Walmart is not the only grocer in the state. Yet, it appears they were the only grocer to override those controls built into the EBT system.

Of course the folk who filled their carts with food in excess of their balances were opportunists. They are not too different that people who run up credit card debt without a thought as to how they will pay the minimum balance when due, let alone the full outstanding balance.
Nope, leeches that need to be removed from society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies