Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 09:26 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
If someone has a prescription for medical use, does this trump laws that forbid smoking?
I think this is the one issue that needs any sorting out. I'm not that familiar with medical marijuana. But you don't necessarily need to smoke it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Correct, and I pointed this out previously in this thread. It certainly isn't your average pot smoker that is knocking over a gas station or a Seven Eleven to get their fix. It's usually the meth heads, crack heads, and opiate addicts (the true dopers) that are doing those things.
But to me, an even bigger advantage of legalization is that you put the illicit dealers out of business. All that weed that comes from Mexico and fuels violent drug wars -- gone. Law enforcement are free to pursue more worthy objectives.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:28 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Well I was there for a week and didn't notice any property crime. What I DID notice was a clean, high-tech, efficient city inhabited by educated people.

Marijuana users generally don't commit property crimes. Not sure where you're getting that.
My brother lived there for years and I have spent time there, and the place is nothing what you describe. You'll see a lot of cars with sidewindows smashed in, and every local know to never leave anything in your car for the druggies to steal, and bicycles need to be chained or they are gone in minutes. As a matter of fact they have twice as many crimes per square mile than NYC

Old 10-23-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
My brother lived there for years and I have spent time there, and the place is nothing what you describe.
I'll have to take your word for it, but I would caution against blaming marijuana for these problems you describe.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Being hard on non-violent offenders, or should I say victimless crimes such as pot smokers is NOT a conservative position! It is more like "an authoritarian lover of a nanny state control of others because you don't like their choices!"
It is what it is, conservatives want to lock you up, and liberals want to treat you. Look at Europe. You think they are decriminalizing drugs because they are so conservative? I wasn't born yesterday, my friend. It was conservatives who took ramped up war on drugs. I live in Miami, so I know a thing or two about how it escalated in the 1980s

Old 10-23-2013, 09:34 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
But to me, an even bigger advantage of legalization is that you put the illicit dealers out of business. All that weed that comes from Mexico and fuels violent drug wars -- gone. Law enforcement are free to pursue more worthy objectives.

Yes. I agree. History has shown that prohibition is a failure. BTW most of the weed from Mexico is crap! Everyone knows the best stuff is grown in the US or Canada.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:36 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I dont get so called adults either, that have this "need" to want to get high or drunk. Time to grow up, dont you think? If you cant get through a week or life without alcohol or weed, substances that alter/impair you, you need to seek help, not another drink or another toke.
Read the side effects of many prescription drugs or do a search for "Ambien deaths" if you really want to see documentation of substances that alter/impair you. Personally, I'd much prefer a toke and a glass of wine to get a good night's sleep than most of the junk BigPharma would try to sell me for the same purpose.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I'll have to take your word for it, but I would caution against blaming marijuana for these problems you describe.
I wasn't the one who bought up Amsterdam. It is probably the most liberal city in the world and maybe the best warning example of what it can lead to.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:40 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
I wasn't the one who bought up Amsterdam. It is probably the most liberal city in the world and maybe the best warning example of what it can lead to.
From what I've been told by a few Navy vets there are places in the Philippines and Thailand to name two that would make Amsterdam look positively monastic in comparison.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:40 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
It is what it is, conservatives want to lock you up, and liberals want to treat you. Look at Europe. You think they are decriminalizing drugs because they are so conservative? I wasn't born yesterday, my friend.

I'm no liberal, but I'd rather treat substance abuse as a medical issue than lock them up and throw away the key. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that treatment should come from taxpayers, and it should come out of that person's pocket. I would also agree that if you committ a violent crime while on a substance, or trying to obtain one then you should be punished for that violent crime! Secondly, and it may sound a bit harsh, but if someone continues to do things other than in moderation or responsibly, well.... that's just Darwinism waiting to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies