Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 11:14 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I agree. But, why throw in the towel and let them continue taking you for a ride? Are you against stoping one of the classes taking the American people for a ride?
I'm not throwing in the towel. Human nature is what it is. I'm not a crusader, and neither are you. I have enough on my plate without peeking into my neighbor's grocery basket. That would make me a busybody. You know what they say; today's busybody is tomorrow's snitch. I ain't no snitch, and I never will be. My neighbor is my friend, not my enemy.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:15 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
This discussion of classism really makes me sad, might as well be racism. Because classism has replaced racism these days.

huh?

Old 04-05-2014, 11:20 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
This discussion of classism really makes me sad, might as well be racism. Because classism has replaced racism these days.

Whats sad is i believe in welfare reform and people learning to fish per sa. But it really depresses me when welfare reform is only focused on poor people. Those lyches, those bums etc etc. Because tomorrow if you got rid of all the poor people on welfare. We would still have a problem. Because the poor isn't the only ones at the feeding bin.

In the last few years our economy has done awsome for the top 10% of our country. Profits the last few years has soared, making up for the losses and then some of the last economic depression. Never have we seen higher profits for shareholders. But some companies want to make this profit by paying below living wages and even encourage there employees to get government assistance to balance the lack of pay. In essence another form of welfare. These same people only want to pay 4% in tax rates and also want local governments.

Next post please
People turn off when your first thought is cries of racism. People of all colors are suffering. Second, before you jump on any politicians bandwagon you should look past the rhetoric to see who they are really going after. If you believe Obama went after the uber rich you are just a useful idiot. Obama knows people are uneducated when it comes to money and he used that against the people. The result is the rich are getting richer and poor are still struggling.

Another thought, the rich are rich because they know how to make money in all circumstances. To think attacking the rich is the answer you are wrong. It's just a guise to play on your emotions to get what he wants.

424 posts, read 594,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
huh?
Classism has replaced racism in terms of social burden and those on the lower end of the pay scale tend to take the brunt of pressure as opposed to the way of the old with race and ethnicity.

It's quite complex, but simple all the same, depending on how you decide to look at. I'm not talking the poor who take advantage of welfare and government allotments, btw, and I'm assuming the same for the person you quoted.

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Continued from last post.

to fork over millions in incentives so they can start a business in a town or city. The trickle down economic model is just another form of welfare. Welfare being any tax money going out that government doesn't get goods or service for. You can probably find alot of welfare on both ends.

Intel we are serious about real welfare reform, its just a sick twisted joke.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Continued from last post.

to fork over millions in incentives so they can start a business in a town or city. The trickle down economic model is just another form of welfare. Welfare being any tax money going out that government doesn't get goods or service for. You can probably find alot of welfare on both ends.

Intel we are serious about real welfare reform, its just a sick twisted joke.
But that is exactly what Obama did with green energy. He gave Solyndra type companies millions and most of the companies Obama admin gave money to went bankrupt, that is suspect. One side of your mouth you are against it unless Obama does it then you are for it.

And then what happened to Obama's shovel ready jobs? Millions given to someone then he said "I guess they weren't so shovel ready after all" as he laughed.

Last edited by petch751; 04-05-2014 at 11:31 AM..

Old 04-05-2014, 11:23 AM

11,788 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Reading the different posts on how people have been led to believe of those who for varies reasons have become poor in our economy amazes & sickens me.

Many have become poor due to a variety of reasons, mostly because they are now working 2 or even 3 min wage jobs that don't pay them enough so they are still eligible for food stamps.

You who name call should walk in their shoes for a month & hang your head in shame.

Again the point is lost - most are not against helping those who need help. Our frustration is to those who have made a living off handouts from the gov't - and there are many. We were on food stamps 30 years ago - and it was a great help for the 2 months before my husband found a job. But I saw abuse back then - everytime I went to the grocery store. My cart filled with ground beef, chicken, tuna fish, mac and cheese and me with coupons in hand - while others in line with food stamps had the best cuts of beef, fish and prepared food.

Here it is 30 years later, I'm unemployed again from down sizing - my husband took a 25% paycut to keep his job - and I have a budget of $50 a week for food. Can I feed the 3 of us on that - yes but it takes some innovative thinking. Again, I'm behind someone with a SNAP card ( she announced it when she grabbed her credit card from the cashier as she had mistaken it for her SNAP card ) and approximately 10 items that cost her about $50 - my weekly food budget. Needless to say - no cheap cuts of meat, or store brand cookies for her as she's talking on her cell phone. And I shouldn't be upset?

I'm obviously not rich. I don't think of only myself as I gave a couple of $$ to the boyscouts collecting for the food pantry, but I do believe the middle class has taken it in the shorts for long enough with these gov't sponsored programs. And oh yeah, I'm not one of those old big bad Republicans - I'm a Democrat.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Reading the different posts on how people have been led to believe of those who for varies reasons have become poor in our economy amazes & sickens me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Again the point is lost - most are not against helping those who need help. Our frustration is to those who have made a living off handouts from the gov't - and there are many. We were on food stamps 30 years ago - and it was a great help for the 2 months before my husband found a job. But I saw abuse back then - everytime I went to the grocery store. My cart filled with ground beef, chicken, tuna fish, mac and cheese and me with coupons in hand - while others in line with food stamps had the best cuts of beef, fish and prepared food.

Here it is 30 years later, I'm unemployed again from down sizing - my husband took a 25% paycut to keep his job - and I have a budget of $50 a week for food. Can I feed the 3 of us on that - yes but it takes some innovative thinking. Again, I'm behind someone with a SNAP card ( she announced it when she grabbed her credit card from the cashier as she had mistaken it for her SNAP card ) and approximately 10 items that cost her about $50 - my weekly food budget. Needless to say - no cheap cuts of meat, or store brand cookies for her as she's talking on her cell phone. And I shouldn't be upset?

I'm obviously not rich. I don't think of only myself as I gave a couple of $$ to the boyscouts collecting for the food pantry, but I do believe the middle class has taken it in the shorts for long enough with these gov't sponsored programs. And oh yeah, I'm not one of those old big bad Republicans - I'm a Democrat.

You see sidney, ^^^ is the type of people others "want" to help, yes, both democrat AND republican. Yet because people are fed up with the people who make welfare a way of life then demand more we are demonized for daring to be fed up.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:30 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
@petch751

Im not talking politics or a politician. We are nieve to believe that one person (obama, bush etc etc) can fix our issues. Our government is a reflection of our society. Our government and politicians can't get away with what isn't acceptable in our society on an individual level. Nixon was an example of that. Point being we need to stop blaming any president. Because he just isn't all uber powerful.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:31 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Again the point is lost - most are not against helping those who need help. Our frustration is to those who have made a living off handouts from the gov't - and there are many.
If these people are breaking the law, then they should be prosecuted. If not, then you can petition for the law to be changed.
Quote:
I would definitely be upset, but not at the woman in front of me. I'd be upset at a system that promotes downsizing and the race to the bottom for workers. I don't get upset over other people's choices. Do you get upset at drivers who don't drive as you think they should? If not, try to transfer that attitude toward people's grocery list choices.

Quote:
There are many government sponsored programs that stick it to the middle class. SNAP isn't one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies