Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 12:17 PM

17,419 posts, read 14,663,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You misread the post.

They said it's not the factor it once was. Meaning it's decreased in significance, not gone entirely away.
If an Asian with the 3.1/31 stats has a 17% chance of being accepted into med school vs an African American's 74% chance TODAY, I would've loved to see what the stats were in 1998.

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/appl...ethnicity.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 12:45 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Who the hell said this guy is a hero!!?? He's a jackass.
so you agree. case closed.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:49 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
In 1998, Vijay Chokal-Ingam was “determined to become a doctor,” but his 3.1 GPA significantly reduced his chances. When he realized his application wouldn’t cut it, he came up with a back-up plan — he pretended to be black.

Chokal-Ingam, brother of famous actress Mindy Kaling, said he “knew that admission standards for certain minorities under affirmative action were, let’s say… less stringent.”

Brother of Famous Actress Admits He Faked Being Black to Get Into Med School

This really proves that GPA is bull****#@!@ crap that holds minorities and others back, and is unnecessary.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:50 PM

well, minority should be redefined.

Asians are not minority when it comes to higher education.

Asians, just suck it up and deal with it.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:56 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
He can call himself whatever he wants, remember?

Afterall, a man can wake up and call himself a woman the next day just because that what he "feels" like.

Maybe this Indian kid "felt" like a black person that day? Who are we to judge.

Besides we don't know if he has "one drop" of African in him somewhere.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:59 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, minority should be redefined.

Asians are not minority when it comes to higher education.

Asians, just suck it up and deal with it.
They already aren't. They are actually penalized.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
They already aren't. They are actually penalized.
well, I guess you don't get sar·casm.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:28 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,274,204 times
It's interesting reading this. Back when my sister was in highschool Her Asian friends stopped talking to her because they believed she got into Harvard because of affirmative action. Keep in mind that all of them were in the top ten percent of there class. They all had high gpas, and they all were in plenty of extra activities. But my sister got a 34 out of 36, on the ACT. And she was also from a first generation college educated family(my parents were the first out of each extended family to go to college, and they were the only that graduated). Her asian friends got relatively high scores on act, 28 etc. But all things in comparison my sister had the highest score out of all them. She was the only one that got accepted, though they all applied. while at Harvard she discovered a myth. The majority of black students that went to Harvard, were African(not black american) and most were from affluent upper middle class areas, and all of them had gone to good schools and did well in their respective high schools. Only a very small percentage, were actually black american students that actually fit the stereotype: working class, went to a crappy high school, not a very high GPA, etc. She affirmed that the majority of students fit the same mold regardless of race: high gpa, competitive act/sat score, affluent, come from educated background, went to very good high schools, etc. A tiny tiny percent did not come from this background and represented the usual stereotypes touted off about black AA beneficiaries.

That's not to say that AA doesnt happen the way the guy in the op alleged but that I think cases like his arent the norm. I think most schools have quotas of how much they might accept from certain groups(as far as race, gender, class, etc) but they typically will accept individuals that reflect the rest of the student body in terms of grades, test scores, competiveness, etc. And the individuals that are below the bar are usually a small percentage. The percentage might comprise of individuals that are black or Hispanic, etc, but even in their cases it's most likely a smaller group of individuals that got in on the sole basis of race- but the majority of students even those that are black have to meet the same competitive admission criteria as other groups. So being black does not guarantee one will get in to a college. And those schools that do make those allowances and overlook other criteria on the basis of race, aren't doing it for every black or brown person that goes to the school. The majority will still have the same expectations that they will have to meet if they want to get in.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
It's interesting reading this. Back when my sister was in highschool Her Asian friends stopped talking to her because they believed she got into Harvard because of affirmative action. Keep in mind that all of them were in the top ten percent of there class. They all had high gpas, and they all were in plenty of extra activities. But my sister got a 34 out of 36, on the ACT. And she was also from a first generation college educated family(my parents were the first out of each extended family to go to college, and they were the only that graduated). Her asian friends got relatively high scores on act, 28 etc. But all things in comparison my sister had the highest score out of all them. She was the only one that got accepted, though they all applied. while at Harvard she discovered a myth. The majority of black students that went to Harvard, were African(not black american) and most were from affluent upper middle class areas, and all of them had gone to good schools and did well in their respective high schools. Only a very small percentage, were actually black american students that actually fit the stereotype: working class, went to a crappy high school, not a very high GPA, etc. She affirmed that the majority of students fit the same mold regardless of race: high gpa, competitive act/sat score, affluent, come from educated background, went to very good high schools, etc. A tiny tiny percent did not come from this background and represented the usual stereotypes touted off about black AA beneficiaries.

That's not to say that AA doesnt happen the way the guy in the op alleged but that I think cases like his arent the norm. I think most schools have quotas of how much they might accept from certain groups(as far as race, gender, class, etc) but they typically will accept individuals that reflect the rest of the student body in terms of grades, test scores, competiveness, etc. And the individuals that are below the bar are usually a small percentage. The percentage might comprise of individuals that are black or Hispanic, etc, but even in their cases it's most likely a smaller group of individuals that got in on the sole basis of race. The majority of students even those that are black have to meet the same competitive admission criteria as other groups.
Good for your sister, may the best survive. This is what it supposes to be. just proved AA is not necessary then. Get rid of AA, no one complains.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:40 PM

17,419 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post

That's not to say that AA doesnt happen the way the guy in the op alleged but that I think cases like his arent the norm. I think most schools have quotas of how much they might accept from certain groups(as far as race, gender, class, etc) but they typically will accept individuals that reflect the rest of the student body in terms of grades, test scores, competiveness, etc. And the individuals that are below the bar are usually a small percentage. The percentage might comprise of individuals that are black or Hispanic, etc, but even in their cases it's most likely a smaller group of individuals that got in on the sole basis of race- but the majority of students even those that are black have to meet the same competitive admission criteria as other groups. So being black does not guarantee one will get in to a college. And those schools that do make those allowances and overlook other criteria on the basis of race, aren't doing it for every black or brown person that goes to the school. The majority will still have the same expectations that they will have to meet if they want to get in.

First, a 28 ACT is not a relatively high score when applying to an Ivy/Top 20 school. Not even close - so I'm not surprised at all those kids didn't get in. (I don't know if you mention that your parents were the first generation to get a college degree because you think that's a hook in admissions - it's not. If the STUDENT would be first generation to attend college, that would be a hook.)

Second, this thread is talking about med school admissions - and it's a fact that African Americans (as well as Hispanics to a certain extent) have a better chance of acceptance with far lower stats than Asians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies