Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 02:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I think the big question is: what genius thought that letting African Americans with a 3.1 into a top med school is a good idea? That sounds like setting them up for failure, they will always be the dumb ones on campus, a cruel joke, adding insult to injury.
Funny, every African American i know that went to college, including myself, had nothing but positive experiences for the most part when they were there. My 4 years at ASU were some of the best years of my life. I'd do it all over again if i could.

Insult to injury? Nah...never happened. My brother and sister both went to good med schools. Both love their respective alma maters very deeply. So if folks thought they were "the dumb ones," no one was stupid enough to ever tell them they thought it.

So you can chill with the faux concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Good for your sister, may the best survive. This is what it supposes to be. just proved AA is not necessary then. Get rid of AA, no one complains.
If schools, especially private schools like St Louis, like AA and find it beneficial to their schools, why should they dump it?

Old 04-06-2015, 02:06 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I like how white males get mad at Affirmative Action when it was the discriminatory practices against miniorties and women that was the reason for the creation of AA.
I like how you completely missed the point. The scores of black students are not typically high enough for them to gain entrance into medical school, therefore the bar must be lowered to allow for more black students to get in. This is not about discriminating black students which had GPA's and test scores equivalent to the white students whatsoever.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:11 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Funny, every African American i know that went to college, including myself, had nothing but positive experiences for the most part when they were there. My 4 years at ASU were some of the best years of my life. I'd do it all over again if i could.

Insult to injury? Nah...never happened. My brother and sister both went to good med schools. Both love their respective alma maters very deeply. So if folks thought they were "the dumb ones," no one was stupid enough to ever tell them they thought it.

So you can chill with the faux concern.
Where they admitted with GPAs below the rest of the kids?

Quote:
Recent studies reveal a high dropout rate among minority college students admitted under affirmative action programs.
Quote:
The high rate of failure that follows the award of employment and educational opportunities to minority individuals unprepared to meet the challenges of higher education reinforces feelings of inferiority among members of these groups.
http://www.scu.edu/ethics/publicatio...firmative.html

Old 04-06-2015, 02:17 PM

17,420 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
If schools, especially private schools like St Louis, like AA and find it beneficial to their schools, why should they dump it?
It's across the board - not just private schools.

Why is it okay for Asians to be discriminated against when it comes to medical school admissions?

Old 04-06-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Where they admitted with GPAs below the rest of the kids?

Affirmative Action: Twenty-five Years of Controversy
Don't know...don't care. They know their scores, but i doubt they care at this point either. Their scores may have been lower, but maybe they weren't. My brother wasn't a particularly great student in high school, but he applies himself well. My sister is brilliant, so i'm pretty sure her scores were up to par. But then, i don't know. Never asked.

After all, they're both doctors...and successful ones too. My brother is a well respected anethesiologist and i was a better student than he was in high school by far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
It's across the board - not just private schools.

Why is it okay for Asians to be discriminated against when it comes to medical school admissions?
I didn't say anything about it being ok.

I'm saying that admissions departments have a right to consider more than just test scores in college admissions.

I've said this again and again on these threads....if a college is only going to take the highest scores, they don't need an admissions department. If you're admitting 5 thousand students for example, then a computer can simply grab the best 5 thousand scores and file 13 all the rest. That's easy as pie. Close down the admissions department and be done with it.

College admissions are discriminatory by nature. Everyone can't go to the college of their choice but brilliant kids WILL get into a good school if they're smart enough to apply to more than a few. Brilliant kids don't end up at community college unless they want to.

But no one has a right to end up at the elite school of their choice. I wanted to go to Northwestern because i'm a legacy, but i got rejected. Didn't have the right stuff, but hey...i ended up at a good school regardless, just not an elite one. My life isn't any worse because of it.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:36 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,625,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I like how you make racist comments against white males.
He's correct though. I remember in the 90s when companies started pushing diversity. While I'm all about diversity, it was annoying because the same people that never would have hired a minority or female were now insisting on hiring people only because they were minority or femaie.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:39 PM

17,420 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:

I'm saying that admissions departments have a right to consider more than just test scores in college admissions.
Actually, that's not true. In several states, racial preference in college admission is prohibited by state law.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:46 PM

39,237 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:

I've said this again and again on these threads....if a college is only going to take the highest scores, they don't need an admissions department. If you're admitting 5 thousand students for example, then a computer can simply grab the best 5 thousand scores and file 13 all the rest. That's easy as pie. Close down the admissions department and be done with it.

College admissions are discriminatory by nature. Everyone can't go to the college of their choice but brilliant kids WILL get into a good school if they're smart enough to apply to more than a few. Brilliant kids don't end up at community college unless they want to.

But no one has a right to end up at the elite school of their choice. I wanted to go to Northwestern because i'm a legacy, but i got rejected. Didn't have the right stuff, but hey...i ended up at a good school regardless, just not an elite one. My life isn't any worse because of it.
I agree with the bolded,I was an athlete and an artist, so I do believe there are more than just test scores in college admissions.

I also agree that admitting the best class of students it can find. The sole criterion in finding the members of this class and in defining "merit" should be individual achievement -- not just grades and test scores, of course, but a broad range of accomplishments, in athletics, music, student government, drama, school clubs and other extracurricular efforts. But race and ethnicity (or gender or sexual preference) do not have a place on this list; these are traits, not achievements.

Many Asian students have felt that they have been penalized, I think they have a valid reason to feel this way.

This doesn't mean they get to blame the Hispanic or Black students though.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:51 PM

27,158 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Yeah, considering my last three girlfriends were white, I'm pretty sure I'm not racist. Not that I care what random people think of me, anyways.

I could've said 'the white males who were in a position of making hiring decisions' or 'the bigoted, sexist, xenophobic white males', but I just assumed adults would be able to comprehend the difference between making a general statement using the appropriate relative terms and making an all encompassing blanket statement with racial undertones.

Silly me.

Not a fact, just emotional bigotry? Then explain to me how Affirmative Action came about. Don't worry, I'll wait.

And I used general terms to describe all parties, white males, women and minorities. Not all white males are racist and not all women and minorities were a victim of discrimination. Not hard to understand.

Either way it was a plain & obvious attack on white males..........period.
There is no getting around that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies