Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 02:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Actually, that's not true. In several states, racial preference in college admission is prohibited by state law.
Race isn't the only thing that admissions can look at. A million things can scream out that an applicant is black, hispanic, white, or etc...

Come on. You're smart enough to know that. I could screen college applications with no race on them (and no photo) and if you told me to admit 100 blacks out of 1500 applicants, i bet that i could nail it by 95%. And i'm being modest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 02:55 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
. But race and ethnicity (or gender or sexual preference) do not have a place on this list; these are traits, not achievements.
amen. ironically, such statements invariably will get you labeled by certain dingbats as 'racist'

Old 04-06-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree with the bolded,I was an athlete and an artist, so I do believe there are more than just test scores in college admissions.

I also agree that admitting the best class of students it can find. The sole criterion in finding the members of this class and in defining "merit" should be individual achievement -- not just grades and test scores, of course, but a broad range of accomplishments, in athletics, music, student government, drama, school clubs and other extracurricular efforts. But race and ethnicity (or gender or sexual preference) do not have a place on this list; these are traits, not achievements.

Many Asian students have felt that they have been penalized, I think they have a valid reason to feel this way.

This doesn't mean they get to blame the Hispanic or Black students though.
I agree on all points.

I don't think you have to discriminate by race at all if you want a certain amount of minorities on your campus. There are other ways to get there. Florida (if i'm not mistaken) proved it.

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
He's correct though. I remember in the 90s when companies started pushing diversity. While I'm all about diversity, it was annoying because the same people that never would have hired a minority or female were now insisting on hiring people only because they were minority or femaie.
The bad thing is it still happens in those very same companies. The prejudice still exists except the women and minorities are "allowed" to go up to a certain level.
If I'm in a company and am looking to advance, I'd want to know right away. I learned real quick don't get involved in a company with a lot of family working there.

2,137 posts, read 1,903,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Race isn't the only thing that admissions can look at. A million things can scream out that an applicant is black, hispanic, white, or etc...

Come on. You're smart enough to know that. I could screen college applications with no race on them (and no photo) and if you told me to admit 100 blacks out of 1500 applicants, i bet that i could nail it by 95%. And i'm being modest.
You mean stereotypes and racial assumptions are 95% accurate? No wonder so many people hold them.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:00 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
I agree on all points.

I don't think you have to discriminate by race at all if you want a certain amount of minorities on your campus. There are other ways to get there. Florida (if i'm not mistaken) proved it.
A valid point and I agree.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:02 PM

The best way to get racial equity in colleges is to get racial equity in high schools. The best to get racial equity in high schools is to get racial equity in grade schools. The best way to get racial equity in grade-schools is get equity among family structure (ie two parent households not on government assistance). So any policy or program that promotes or incentivizes one parent families or makes it easier to get public assistance among minorities is the wrong direction for racial equity in college attainment.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
You mean stereotypes and racial assumptions are 95% accurate? No wonder so many people hold them.
I've never cared about stereotypes and racial assumptions one bit, so you're not hurting my feelings. As long as you keep it to yourself, i couldn't possibly care less.

What people feel internally is none of my concern. Just don't get in my way and i won't get in yours.
Quote:
The best way to get racial equity in colleges is to get racial equity in high schools. The best to get racial equity in high schools is to get racial equity in grade schools. The best way to get racial equity in grade-schools is get equity among family structure (ie two parent households not on government assistance). So any policy or program that promotes or incentivizes one parent families or makes it easier to get public assistance among minorities is the wrong direction for racial equity in college attainment.
Yeah, well i can't wave a magic wand and make every household a two parent household, nor can i make all schools equally good.

So..

Old 04-06-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I've never cared about stereotypes and racial assumptions one bit, so you're not hurting my feelings. As long as you keep it to yourself, i couldn't possibly care less.

What people feel internally is none of my concern. Just don't get in my way and i won't get in yours.

Yeah, well i can't wave a magic wand and make every household a two parent household, nor can i make all schools equally good.

So..
You can do pretty close to waiving a magic wand: take out the cash and benefit incentives to having single parent children.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
You can do pretty close to waiving a magic wand: take out the cash and benefit incentives to having single parent children.
Ok.

Pull all soldiers and military assets out of every foreign country first, then cut aid to every single country NOT named the United States.

After you do that, i'm down for cutting cash benefits to Americans. You first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies