Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 07:37 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Really? That's all that happened to "blacks" in this country?

How could there have been an all-inclusive women's struggle when during major women's struggles (mainly white women), black women were experiencing segregation?
Because some black women didn't care, didn't want to participate, didn't have the smarts, didn't work to be a part, made excuses? I don't know? You got an answer?

I have two black friends. They are dark and smart. They benefited.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 04-06-2015 at 07:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 07:44 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,604,210 times
This idiot didn't prove anything except that he's a right wing fraud.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:47 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Because black women didn't care, didn't want to participate, didn't have the smarts, didn't work to be a part, made excuses? I don't know? You got an answer?

I have two black friends, not that I care they are black. They benefited.

Guessing you are one of those generational Americans that is completely uneducated or in denial when it comes to your own national history.

What is your excuse? You didnt care, didn't want to participate, didn't have the smarts, didn't work to be a part, made excuses?

I don't know. You got an answer?

There is no reason why anyone should pass through the American educational system and be so clueless. My parents would understand and they were born and educated elsewhere.

What a shame.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:50 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Guessing you are one of those generational Americans that id completely uneducated or in denial when it comes to your own history.

What is your excuse? You didnt care, didn't want to participatec didn't have the smarte, didn't work to be a paer, made excuses?

I don't know. You got an answer?

There is no reason why anyone should pass through the American educational system and be so clueless. My parents would understand and they were born and educated elsewhere.

What a shame.
Can you spell? I understand your frustration. Your failure in life isn't my fault or any other person's fault....

Old 04-06-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Can you spell? I understand your frustration. Your failure in life isn't my fault or any other person's fault....
I can surely spell which is why the posted was edited before you posted. On my phone which is obvious. Nice try though.

Your lack of education and ignorance IS your fault and your failure in life. You're angry because you were called on it and couldn't run from it.

You wasted your affirmative action as a woman.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:14 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,274,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
First, a 28 ACT is not a relatively high score when applying to an Ivy/Top 20 school. Not even close - so I'm not surprised at all those kids didn't get in. (I don't know if you mention that your parents were the first generation to get a college degree because you think that's a hook in admissions - it's not. If the STUDENT would be first generation to attend college, that would be a hook.)

Second, this thread is talking about med school admissions - and it's a fact that African Americans (as well as Hispanics to a certain extent) have a better chance of acceptance with far lower stats than Asians.
28 is high enough for regular universities. But for Ivy League? No it's not. It's not even close to competive, but that's my point-her friends tried to say that my sister only got in due to affirmative action since they were upset that they were not as competive. When in reality she got in-over her friends-because she did better. It was easy for her friends to use race as a scapegoat when the reality is that they did not do as well as she did.

As for med school, I wasn't aware of what you stated, my only point was that being black does not always mean your guaranteed admissions into a program over other groups. On some level the majority of applicants that get accepted into a certain school or program still will fall into the range of what is expected as competive criteria-that reflects the overall student body. There will be a percentage that fall into the lower range of performance or stats compared to the rest, those that are on the high end, and those that are in between. But most are within range.

I wonder if(and this is based on the assumption that what you say is correct) if this is a result of the number of Asian applicants versus the number of black applicants applying to med school that results in SOME black students falling in the lower range getting accepted. From observation it's common for Asians(East indian) to apply to more rigorous programs including med school but I imagine that compared to other demographic groups the number of east Asians could very well exceed that of Hispanics and blacks and that might be when schools start to look at race more closely when looking at applicants-if the school is wanting to even out the "flavor" (lol).

But the guy seems like an idiot. Yes he proved that in his specific case being black helped but if AA was banned then he wouldn't have had a shot regardless. His GPA sucks(IMO), and what he's shown is that as racist as aa felt to him, even if it didn't exist he would have still failed to get in because he wasn't competive. It's sad that he only saw "race" as the problem and didn't also examine the fact that he wasnt competitive.

Beyond that affirmative action doesn't solely benefit blacks it also benefits white women and often white women benefit from AA far more than other groups.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:27 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,274,204 times
Quote:
Because some black women didn't care, didn't want to participate, didn't have the smarts, didn't work to be a part, made excuses? I don't know? You got an answer?

I have two black friends. They are dark and smart. They benefited.
Actually the womens right movement was segregated. It started out as an effort for all women regardless of race to have rights but soon became about white women rights. There are reasons this happened, but it isn't because black women didn't want to be apart of it. You can review your history book, but essentially it came down to black men wanting rights(since they were men) and white women realizing that to make a case for womens rights they would have to separate themselves from black rights. They would have to make a case for why white women deserved privileges before we could even begin to think about giving black men privileges. They would have to push for themselves and abandon ship(I.E black rights, black women, etc). This led to the seperation of the two. At least that's the short summed up version.

In addition womenhood was different for black and white women.

White women were treated differently as women-differently from black women-the playing
field wasn't even the same. Sojourner truth illustrated this in her "aren't i a woman speech". In any case, I thought it was largely known that white women are the biggest benefactiories of affirmative action.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:04 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
In 1998, Vijay Chokal-Ingam was “determined to become a doctor,” but his 3.1 GPA significantly reduced his chances. When he realized his application wouldn’t cut it, he came up with a back-up plan — he pretended to be black.

Chokal-Ingam, brother of famous actress Mindy Kaling, said he “knew that admission standards for certain minorities under affirmative action were, let’s say… less stringent.”

Brother of Famous Actress Admits He Faked Being Black to Get Into Med School
Who the heck is FAMOUS Mindy Kalling?

Old 04-06-2015, 10:15 PM

17,419 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Who the heck is FAMOUS Mindy Kalling?

You know what would be awesome?

If there was a machine, kind of like a typewriter, where you could type in a question or a person or a thing and it would magically give you all the information you ever wanted on it.

Kind of like a super-duper interactive encyclopedia.

What a world it would be if someone could invent that.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Actually the womens right movement was segregated. It started out as an effort for all women regardless of race to have rights but soon became about white women rights. There are reasons this happened, but it isn't because black women didn't want to be apart of it. You can review your history book, but essentially it came down to black men wanting rights(since they were men) and white women realizing that to make a case for womens rights they would have to separate themselves from black rights. They would have to make a case for why white women deserved privileges before we could even begin to think about giving black men privileges. They would have to push for themselves and abandon ship(I.E black rights, black women, etc). This led to the seperation of the two. At least that's the short summed up version.

In addition womenhood was different for black and white women.

White women were treated differently as women-differently from black women-the playing
field wasn't even the same. Sojourner truth illustrated this in her "aren't i a woman speech". In any case, I thought it was largely known that white women are the biggest benefactiories of affirmative action.
That poster is willfully ignorant. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that African-Amercan struggles and general women's struggles were and continue to be different. Who doesn't know that black women only gained the right to vote over 40 yes after white women? And it wasn't a gender issue but a racial one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies