Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 12:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

I just skimmed from last night but once again page after page after page of "it's their fault", "No, it's their fault", "no, it's their fault", with no one discussing the problem.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:15 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Like I said... we need to rethink our stance on the war on drugs. Now, I did notice a burglary charge there! Drugs are one thing, do all you want as far as I'm concerned. Just don't harm someone in the process! Burglary on the other hand... not cool! Furthermore, rioting and looting is counter-productive, because as I've also stated before it is only going to further the police state, and cracking down even harder with more uneccessary laws!
It was a 4th degree burglary charge so it was not serious. A definition of 4th degree burglary in MD is as follows:

Quote:
Fourth Degree Burglary
Fourth degree burglary is split into several sections. All of these crimes are misdemeanors and carry a maximum of three years in prison.
1. Simple Breaking and Entering
It is a crime under this statute to break and enter into either a dwelling or storehouse, regardless of any intent or lack of intent to do anything inside the building.
2. Intent to Steal in a Building
A person cannot be inside a storehouse or dwelling or on the nearby property of that building (such as a yard or garden) with the intent to commit a theft.
3. Possession of Burglar’s Tools
While committing a fourth degree burglary, a person cannot possess burglar’s tools with the intent to use those tools.
By this definition, Freddy more than likely didn't even steal anything. Many times police to place these lessor charges on people arrested to make them look more serious.

I have been arrested before and was charged with both a felony and a misdemeanor. The felony was particularly atrocious IMO as it was "cruelty to children" which one would think involves beating or harming a child. I was charged with that because I had our dog, a pit mix in the car with my son who was 4 at the time. We were taking the dog to the groomers and the officer who arrested me felt that my dog's breed was "vicious" that that the breed placed my child in danger. I was also charged with "reckless conduct" which one would think involves fighting or doing something against the police. The legal definition in GA of reckless conduct has to do with having HIV and knowingly having sex with other people spreading HIV (my lawyer mentioned all of this during legal proceedings, which is why I know about it). I do not have HIV and was not involved in reckless conduct so it was thrown out. I did not beat my child or have a fight in front of him so the cruelty to children was thrown out as well but until I paid money to get those charges expunged from my record, they would show up and people accused me of being a child abuser especially at places I have worked. Just like many on this thread believe, when you are CHARGED with a crime, people automatically assume that you committed the crime. I don't know if Freddy was actually convicted of anything, but I do know that I was charged with crimes I did not do and they still show up even after they have been expunged due to the nature of my work as I work with government sometimes and have to do an FBI screen and all my charges show up on an FBI screen. For many people, these charges ruin their lives and the unknowing public will see a list like that and think that since he was charged he actually did all of them when that may not be the case at all.

Also, I bet an ignorant cop put the 4th degree burglary charge on Freddy because he had what they considered "burglar's tools." Something that people also said about Trayvon Martin. My husband has been charged with a similar crime in GA. He was riding his bike at night and cops arrested him due to suspecting him of being a copper thief at a local church. He had a screw driver in a book bag he had (he always carries a book bag when riding a bike) and they searched his bag without his permission, he was hoping they would search and see he had no drugs and let him go but they saw the screw driver and said he had "burglars" tools so arrested him. That case was also dismissed and we had to pay to get that charge expunged as well.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:21 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,014,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It was a 4th degree burglary charge so it was not serious. A definition of 4th degree burglary in MD is as follows:

By this definition, Freddy more than likely didn't even steal anything. Many times police to place these lessor charges on people arrested to make them look more serious.
I bet an ignorant cop put the 4th degree burglary charge on Freddy because he had what they considered "burglar's tools." Something that people also said about Trayvon Martin.
Burglary is burglary. You saying it isn't serious doesn't change anything. You also don't know if he stole anything. Then you went on to say some ignorant cop probably put the charge on him for having burglar tools. Way to go with all your assumptions. Trayvon Martin and your life story are irrelevant.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Dew View Post
Burglary is burglary. You saying it isn't serious doesn't change anything. You also don't know if he stole anything. Then you went on to say some ignorant cop probably put the charge on him for having burglar tools. Way to go with all your assumptions. Trayvon Martin and your life story are irrelevant.
burglary is not burglary.

Look at the definition I posted.

If you have tools on you that a cop thinks you may use to steal something, like a screw driver or a hammer, then they can charge you with 4th degree burglary in MD.

I only shared that a similar thing happened to my husband, a 40 something year old, college educated black man who was riding a bike. I didn't make any assumptions and only brought up Trayvon Martin due to him also being accused of buglary due to have "buglar's tools."

ETA: 4th degree burglary in MD according to the definition means that Freddy did not steal anything. Police felt he "intended" to steal or that he had "burglar's tools." 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree burglary is actually stealing something. Not 4th.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:26 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:

I have been arrested before and was charged with both a felony and a misdemeanor. The felony was particularly atrocious IMO as it was "cruelty to children" which one would think involves beating or harming a child. I was charged with that because I had our dog, a pit mix in the car with my son who was 4 at the time. We were taking the dog to the groomers and the officer who arrested me felt that my dog's breed was "vicious" that that the breed placed my child in danger. I was also charged with "reckless conduct" which one would think involves fighting or doing something against the police. The legal definition in GA of reckless conduct has to do with having HIV and knowingly having sex with other people spreading HIV (my lawyer mentioned all of this during legal proceedings, which is why I know about it). I do not have HIV and was not involved in reckless conduct so it was thrown out. I did not beat my child or have a fight in front of him so the cruelty to children was thrown out as well but until I paid money to get those charges expunged from my record, they would show up and people accused me of being a child abuser especially at places I have worked. I bet an ignorant cop put the 4th degree burglary charge on Freddy because he had what they considered "burglar's tools." Something that people also said about Trayvon Martin.

I do get what you're saying, and boy what a mess that you had to deal with! Obviously you were in control of the dog, no? As for burglary, well... it really comes down to staying out of other peoples property, or not touching or taking something that doesn't belong to me, which was instilled in me at a very young age! Unfortunately, as we've seen burglary can be a high risk profession, because you can end up shot by the property owner. I don't blame the property owner in those instances, because what it comes down to is the intentions of the burglar weren't known, and quite frankly, the burglar didn't belong there in the first place. At any rate, perhaps if we were to rethink our stance on the war on drugs, he wouldn't have had as big of a "rap sheet!"

Old 04-29-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
burglary is not burglary.

Look at the definition I posted.

If you have tools on you that a cop thinks you may use to steal something, like a screw driver or a hammer, then they can charge you with 4th degree burglary in MD.
Regardless of the degree of burglary, it is still burglary and has many definitions. Who said he had tools to steal something? That is an assumption on your part.

Quote:
I only shared that a similar thing happened to my husband, a 40 something year old, college educated black man who was riding a bike. I didn't make any assumptions and only brought up Trayvon Martin due to him also being accused of buglary due to have "buglar's tools."
You did make an assumptions because you keep talking about burglar tools as if that is the reason he was charged when you don't know. Trayvon Martin wasn't even arrest so that doesn't even matter.

Quote:
ETA: 4th degree burglary in MD according to the definition means that Freddy did not steal anything. Police felt he "intended" to steal or that he had "burglar's tools." 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree burglary is actually stealing something. Not 4th.
More assumption on your part because you're making claims as to what happen when you don't know and still trying to add burglar tools into it. Even went so far as to say an ignorant cop probably did it. Why skip over breaking and entering? Why skip intent to steal inside a building?

Last edited by Devon011; 04-29-2015 at 02:42 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Dew View Post
Burglary is burglary and has many definitions. Who said he had tools to steal something? That is an assumption on your part.

You did make an assumptions because you keep talking about burglar tools as if that is the reason he was charged when you don't know. Trayvon Martin wasn't even arrest so that doesn't even matter.

More assumption because you're making claims to what happen when you don't know and still trying to add burglar tools into it. Even went so far as to say an ignorant cop probably did it. This is what happen when people assume
LOL, I made no assumptions at all.

I provided you the definition of 4th degree burglary. Too bad that if you are unable to comprehend said definition and see that all 3 categories do not have to do with stealing. I will break it down for you

Category 1 - You are accused of breaking into a residence or business
Category 2 - You are accused of being in a building or the yard/garden of a building and the police accuse you of having the "intent" to steal
Category 3 - You have "burglar's tools' (this is where I got the burglar's tools from) and the police accuse you of having "intent" to use said tools to steal

None of the categories above for 4th degree murder say that you broke in and stole something.

Also, charges are not convictions. People are charged with things all the time that they didn't do.

Maybe you are mad because you think I am speaking specifically about black men but I'm not. Prior to the merging of the threads, I was posting about how I don't feel that this riot and protests are racially motivated. IMO I feel the motivation is behind the fact that police officers (either white, black, hispanic or Asian) are not treated in a similarly criminal manner when they commit criminal offenses against regular citizens.

I gave an example of "Ray-Ray getting mad at Tyrone and killing Tyrone. Ray-Ray goes to jail for life. Officer Bob gets mad at Tyrone and kills Tyrone and Officer Bob gets paid administrative leave and a fat pension." It is a double standard thing and it causes a lot of anger, which is why what happened in Baltimore happened.

I also mentioned that Baltimore PD has a long history of corruption and abuse. Last year the city paid out over $6 million dollars in damages to victims of police brutality.

I will also note that I know for a fact that whites, Asians, and Hispanics are victims of police brutality as well and I feel that all Americans benefit from black people putting the focus on this issue and seeking to find ways to decrease injustice in policing. IMO most Americans are in agreement with me, which is why most do support the cause, they just don't support rioting and violence.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:43 PM

Mass protests scheduled tonight in multiple cities to support Baltimore

Old 04-29-2015, 02:48 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
A friend said re the Affordable Elder Center burned...look at your home ins...it says...
not coverage 'civil insurgence'....gulp.
Home and commercial policies can vary greatly on that point because typically the police will protect family homes aggressively (as will the homeowners) but not so much commercial businesses.

A lot of that can come down to state by state treatment and then in some places they just won't bother to offer insurance because the premium would be insanely high.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
LOL, I made no assumptions at all.

I provided you the definition of 4th degree burglary. Too bad that if you are unable to comprehend said definition and see that all 3 categories do not have to do with stealing. I will break it down for you

Category 1 - You are accused of breaking into a residence or business
Category 2 - You are accused of being in a building or the yard/garden of a building and the police accuse you of having the "intent" to steal
Category 3 - You have "burglar's tools' (this is where I got the burglar's tools from) and the police accuse you of having "intent" to use said tools to steal

None of the categories above for 4th degree murder say that you broke in and stole something.
You did make assumptions it was burglary tools. You skipped over the fact that it said simple breaking and entering or intent to steal inside a building or burglar tools..Yet you went to burglar tools and claimed an ignorant cop probably did it. Clearly you didn't comprehend it. Murder?

"Fourth degree burglary in Maryland can be any of four different crimes, all of which are misdemeanors punishable by up to three years imprisonment. Breaking and entering the dwelling of another person is fourth degree burglary, even without the intent to commit another crime. Breaking and entering the storehouse of another person is a fourth degree burglary, even without the intent to commit another crime. Being in or on the surrounding land belonging to a dwelling or storehouse of another person with intent to commit theft is a fourth degree burglary. Possession of burglar’s tools is also a fourth degree burglary."

Quote:
Also, charges are not convictions. People are charged with things all the time that they didn't do.
So? So you're trying to argue that he was falsely charged and suddenly all innocent?

Quote:
Maybe you are mad because you think I am speaking specifically about black men but I'm not. Prior to the merging of the threads, I was posting about how I don't feel that this riot and protests are racially motivated. IMO I feel the motivation is behind the fact that police officers (either white, black, hispanic or Asian) are not treated in a similarly criminal manner when they commit criminal offenses against regular citizens.
Why would I be mad? Did I mention a race?

Quote:
I also mentioned that Baltimore PD has a long history of corruption and abuse. Last year the city paid out over $6 million dollars in damages to victims of police brutality.
Any organization can have corruption. Baltimore is no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies