Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 12:14 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I would say none of them do, and you can't prove that any of them do either.

re: cars, we DO try to make it harder for dangerous people to get behind a wheel. We require insurance, updated license every so often, etc. That point has been time and again, and you'll never get it, so I'm done bothering with you. If you want to be in league with the NRA that's your choice, but a growing majority of Americans do not accept mass carnage and violence as an acceptable price to freedom and democracy.

1) Invalid comparison. There is no constitutional protection for owning a car. It's a privilege, not a right.

2) The NRA does not support "mass carnage and violence as an acceptable price to freedom and democracy". You don't appear to know anything about the NRA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 12:15 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Obama has given congress 2 1/2 yrs to come up with a gun control bill and they have come up with jack time is up something need to be done. NRA loves mass shooting after one happens they can fear monger the publican and there will be a increase in gun sales for 2 to 4 weeks after a big mass shooting There is no reason some need 5 to 15 guns 1 hand gun for home protection is enough and you do not need to take it everywhere you go like the park or doctor office

You apparently have a problem with the way our government was set up in the form of checks and balances. Here is a little hint, Obama is NOT a dictator, nor a king! Furthermore, as to the bolded, says who? You? So long as one does not use that gun or guns to commit a crime, it is nobody's business how many guns that one owns or doesn't own, or where they carry it! Again, nobody needs 4 cars, a boat, several motorcycles, or every single technological gadget that gets invented such as an x-box, i-pod, smart phone, or smart tv...ect... but if one wants to p*** their money away, then rock on! Yeah I know, freedom is a b*** ain't it?

Old 01-05-2016, 12:15 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,454,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Interesting examples, since the weapons used in those attacks were obtained legally, using background checks. Holmes used a very popular sporting goods chain store, as well as a local gun shop and everything was done properly.

Exactly well stated.
I will say it over and over again, think I know something about this, since I have had two family members murdered, stated this many times on this forum.

As the one scumbag ass whole crazed maniac druggie, who killed my family member not even 35 YEARS OF AGE when he was killed.

In court stated to us the family, the scumbag that there is always a way for criminal element to get guns, or weapons of some sort, yes the scumbag told us that right in court. He said once a felon has it in them to kill, it will be, and they will get there guns or weapons of choice no problem. What did I do after that, bought a gun legally, took courses went to target practice learned how to respect the gun, clean the gun, and properly store bullets. If you own a gun, buy it legally and learn how to shoot the damn thing.

He was let out many times prior to the murder of my cousin. Judges also have something to do about this, letting career criminals who commit the same thing over and over again, let out way too early for there crimes. What the hell is that about.

Law abiding citizens of this Nation have a right to buy guns, and protect themselves, there families, and there property and I don't give a damn if you agree or not. After having family members murdered, it leaves a very bad taste in your mouth. You no longer trust anyone. These fine people were murdered in the privacy of there own homes.

You do not have to agree with my opinions, nor me agree with yours. If my family members had a gun, they may have been able to save there own life.

Judges need to get tougher for career criminals never mind this let them out early for good behavior crap. To only get out and do the same crime again but each time worse. I am bitter to this day.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:16 PM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Gabby Gifford's shooter also purchased legally at a chain sporting goods store.

These high profile shootings were done by people buying legally who passed background checks. So they should not be used as examples for this, it makes no sense.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:17 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,403,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I disagree. As he said, things do not happen overnight. I think people are getting fed up with mass shootings and weapons being available to just about anyone.

It might take 10 years, maybe only 5. But it WILL make a difference in time.
How can you say this? All the executive order does is require background checks on gun show sales by people who sell guns for a business. As the statistics frequently bare out, these aren't the guns that are used in crimes (and especially not the crimes that Obama is using as the basis for this action).

So wait 5 years, 10 years, or 100 years, and you still won't be any safer as a result of this useless executive action. It will literally make ZERO difference. Weapons are still available to just about anyone before and after this action.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:17 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Obama just wants to stop the stupid people from killing one another.
No, he doesn't. They kill each other more in the 'hood than anywhere else. And nothing he announced today will stop that.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:20 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
How is it going to be harder for law abiding citizens to protect themselves?
More onerous background check. Limits on buying guns from a private owner much like people buy automobiles from a private owner every day. And automobiles are more deadly.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:21 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Interesting examples, since the weapons used in those attacks were obtained legally, using background checks. Holmes used a very popular sporting goods chain store, as well as a local gun shop and everything was done properly.
Not true. I don't know about Holmes, but Adam Lanza stole his mother's guns. He did not go through a background check.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:21 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
If Obama wants to stop gun deaths, put gang task forces into Chicago, Detroit etc., where the majority are shot.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:23 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

But it will be harder for law-abiding citizens to protect themselves.
How so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies