Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 12:25 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Not true. I don't know about Holmes, but Adam Lanza stole his mother's guns. He did not go through a background check.
So... doing a more extensive background check on him would have made no difference. Just like many of us are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 12:25 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Not true. I don't know about Holmes, but Adam Lanza stole his mother's guns. He did not go through a background check.

Of course. But the guns were purchased by his mother who passed background checks. Stolen guns is a whole different matter.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:26 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
And still in your example, the expanded background checks would have absolutely no effect.
The executive actions are still biased against the legal owners, not criminals. If laws meant anything, then Lanza wouldn't have taken the guns as stealing is also against the law.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:26 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
How so?
Already answered.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:28 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, I did. Automobiles are more deadly, both in sheer numbers AND in statistical proportion. There are no restrictions on who can own an automobile. Even kids can own them. And owning an automobile isn't even a Constitutional Right that shall not be infringed.
My question had nothing to do with automobiles.

My question was 'do you think that legally insane people or people with violent criminal backgrounds should be able to obtain weapons'.

You didn't answer that.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:28 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
If Obama wants to stop gun deaths, put gang task forces into Chicago, Detroit etc., where the majority are shot.

Nothing will stop the madness in Chicago, or Detroit all the gun laws in the book, will not stop that madness.

Ya think criminals and gang members play by the book boy are you wrong.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:30 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Relax.

If you can pass the background check, nothing changes for you.

Conservo #1: “Obama thinks he’s a king. He just ignores congress and tramples the constitution!â€

Conservo #2: “Obama is in way over his head. He’s a weakling and has no executive experience. The world laughs at the USA!â€

Conservo #1; “No! He’s a tyrant!â€

Conservo #2: “No! He’s a wimp!â€

The Obamaphobic right should hold a convention and come up with a consistent position on the president and then have Limpbaugh inform all members.

Carry on.

I don't see any inconsistencies in the above statements. Obama does ignore the Constitution and he is has no executive experience. America has become a laughing stock because of him. None of those statements are untrue and none of those statements are in conflict with one another.

Obama is acting like a tyrant in that he is bypassing the Constitution and acting unilaterally to enact laws without Congress. Obama is a wimp (I prefer feckless) in that he has done nothing to show strength against the threats by ISIS, he lost the advantages that our soldiers earned in Iraq. He released 5 terrorists in trade of a defector. He entered into an agreement with Iran to give Iran nuclear capabilities without Congress (again, against the Constitution) and that has resulted in Saudi Arabia now posturing against Iran. He bragged about the "Arab Spring" in Egypt, which has led to the destabilization of the Middle East. He has spied on our Israeli allies, given classified information about Israel to Iran, and has been pwned by Putin with regard to Syria.

All in all, I would say your definition of "Obamaphobia" is in reality a factual description of the feckless and Constitutionally ignorant resident in the White House.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
More onerous background check. Limits on buying guns from a private owner much like people buy automobiles from a private owner every day. And automobiles are more deadly.
Did Obama state some kind of limit to the number of guns a person can own? I missed that...

Old 01-05-2016, 12:32 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
The 2nd amendment says no background checks? I think not.
Actually, it does. "Shall not be infringed" means obstacles to owning a weapon. Since a background check implies that getting a gun can be denied, it does say that.

Last edited by ringwise; 01-05-2016 at 12:56 PM..

Old 01-05-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
How can you say this? All the executive order does is require background checks on gun show sales by people who sell guns for a business. As the statistics frequently bare out, these aren't the guns that are used in crimes (and especially not the crimes that Obama is using as the basis for this action).
How can anyone know that? No one is keeping a record of what guns were sold to whom at those shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies