Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 11:48 AM

9,142 posts, read 5,807,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
My argument with that list is that even a cursory examination reveals most, if not all of these incidents to actually be the murder of disagreeable, but not dangerous, individuals. Our warped Gun Culture has social engineered most of society to have no opinion when an armed American murders someone who could not possibly do much more than annoy them! Thanks to very recent information learned from a poster on another thread I have learned that in 61% of home invasions the assailants have no weapon whatsoever! In another 20% they have a weapon that is not a gun. In only 12% of incidents do the assailants have a gun and that gun may actually be the gun that was in the homeowners custody. Ban the damn guns. Do it now. They are a menace. They harm the very people they are intended to protect far more often than they defend them. Seriously, if a gun saved your life, your life wasn't in all that great of a danger.
Seriously?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 11:57 AM

7,825 posts, read 4,570,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
There are other ways to kill besides guns.. If she didn't have a gun she would have killed her kids some other way. Don't be so naive.
Yet she didn't...

Old 06-28-2016, 02:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Didn't @Jojajn indicate that the same technology would be available for gun systems? Who really doesn't give a damn about anyone else? Arguing strenuously that guns remain 100 year old relics is what exactly? Existing gun technology misfires occasionally you know. People don't take care of them, or whatever and they jam or otherwise don't work when needed. Spit happens. Let's get intelligent about things and either bring guns into the 21st Century, or outlaw them altogether. It's way past time.
yes guns to jam, and sometimes they fail to operate a intended, however to essentially REQUIRE a firearm to fail unless the owners hand is on it, is just asking for trouble. you have this "pie in the sky" outlook that is extremely dangerous, because you think that so called smart guns will do the trick, but they wont. if i am going to depend on something to save my life, i want the technology to be proven, and smart guns are NOT proven technology. smart guns are also dangerous technology.

i can clear a jam in a firearm, i cannot wait for the operating system to reboot in a so called smart gun.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:02 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yes guns to jam, and sometimes they fail to operate a intended, however to essentially REQUIRE a firearm to fail unless the owners hand is on it, is just asking for trouble. you have this "pie in the sky" outlook that is extremely dangerous, because you think that so called smart guns will do the trick, but they wont. if i am going to depend on something to save my life, i want the technology to be proven, and smart guns are NOT proven technology. smart guns are also dangerous technology.

i can clear a jam in a firearm, i cannot wait for the operating system to reboot in a so called smart gun.
I could possibly be giving gun designers and manufacturers more credit than they deserve but I so suspect that the very first Smart Gun available for retail purchase will be a more proven and reliable product than the first revolvers were when the status quo was the breech loading Musket. Very likely the gun would be ready to fire before you are.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I could possibly be giving gun designers and manufacturers more credit than they deserve but I so suspect that the very first Smart Gun available for retail purchase will be a more proven and reliable product than the first revolvers were when the status quo was the breech loading Musket. Very likely the gun would be ready to fire before you are.
maybe, but if you were to really think about it, and not just listen to what the gun grabbers say, you might realize that so called smart guns are a bad idea.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:17 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
You know what? If 30,000 kids a year were being drowned in bathtubs you better be damn skippy sure that American Standard, Kohler and Moen would all be called before Congress to explain the technology that they were going to introduce to help prevent them. If they couldn't. It would be showers for you and me and the rest of America, going forward. When was the last time you took a bath? Seriously.
https://everytownresearch.org/reports/innocents_lost/

Quote:
Federal data from the Centers for Disease Control indicate that between 2007 and 2011, an average of 62 children age 14 and under died each year in unintentional shootings.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:28 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

How many electronics do we have today that die and you either have to replace or go through hell to fix? A guy at work today, hard drive fail. Another blue screen of death. My DVR home security decided to switch time zones. My phone freezes constantly and I have one of the nicer ones available. How does one get "updates" with this new technology and how do we keep someone from hacking it. Can someone defeat it with a jammer.

No thanks. I'll take tried and true. Hoplophobes tough luck.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:42 PM

590 posts, read 555,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
God fearing Christian shoots her two daughters dead, and is killed by responding officer.

Police: Family argument caused mother to shoot, kill daughters - Houston Chronicle

She previously posted that Democrats are trying to take her guns. It's a shame they couldn't, two young girls would still be alive.
Where in the article does it say she was a God fearing Christian?

The actions of one person does not exemplify the virtues of the rest us who are God fearing Christians, and gun owners. Even without guns, she could have found other ways to do the unimaginable.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Default How Many More?

Clearly we aren't ready yet. That's ok. We can wait. A whole lot of people had to die from second hand smoke before smokers were finally banished to the outdoors, and 25' from hospital and other sensitive doorway areas. Dog owners used to just let their dogs go right on the sidewalk much to the annoyance and disgust of pedestrians. It took decades to bring smokers to heel, and even longer to get dog owners housetrained. Gun lovers will take longer to put down, but we will do it by gum. Scraping poo off the bottom of a shoe is one thing, getting shot to death while walking down the street just because some mouthbreather accidentally drops their gun is quite another. Untimely death will not simply be the price we have to pay for living in a free society. Seriously, do you think you would be so blase about these repeated tragedies if it was someone you actually loved? Of course not. I wonder how many of us have been directly affected. How many no longer post here because... ... one day it will be no more possible to get shot accidentally, or on purpose, than it is to be hurt that way in any other civilized country.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How many electronics do we have today that die and you either have to replace or go through hell to fix? A guy at work today, hard drive fail. Another blue screen of death. My DVR home security decided to switch time zones. My phone freezes constantly and I have one of the nicer ones available. How does one get "updates" with this new technology and how do we keep someone from hacking it. Can someone defeat it with a jammer.

No thanks. I'll take tried and true. Hoplophobes tough luck.
well said.

Quote:
Clearly we aren't ready yet. That's ok. We can wait. A whole lot of people had to die from second hand smoke before smokers were finally banished to the outdoors, and 25' from hospital and other sensitive doorway areas. Dog owners used to just let their dogs go right on the sidewalk much to the annoyance and disgust of pedestrians. It took decades to bring smokers to heel, and even longer to get dog owners housetrained. Gun lovers will take longer to put down, but we will do it by gum. Scraping poo off the bottom of a shoe is one thing, getting shot to death while walking down the street just because some mouthbreather accidentally drops their gun is quite another. Untimely death will not simply be the price we have to pay for living in a free society. Seriously, do you think you would be so blase about these repeated tragedies if it was someone you actually loved? Of course not. I wonder how many of us have been directly affected. How many no longer post here because... ... one day it will be no more possible to get shot accidentally, or on purpose, than it is to be hurt that way in any other civilized country.
and here is the REAL agenda of the gun grabbers, they want your guns, despite the second amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies