Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 10:01 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times

Advertisements

If she didn't have a gun she probably would have stabbed her daughters with a knife. that woman went plain old nut bag crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 10:03 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I am all for the 2nd amendment, but that campus carry bill just pisses me off so bad! Stupid legislature. While passing campus carry, they refused to pass a bill to make texting and driving illegal.

They claim a law won't change behavior, but I was old enough to remember never once wearing a seatbelt until it became a law when I was a teenager. Our generation's parents let us stand in our seats and lay in the back window area of the car. To be fair, when I was a baby most cars did not have seatbelts, but even after they became standard hardly anyone wore them until it became law.

Same thing with open containers. It was common to drive while drinking a beer until they passed the bill saying open containers of alcohol weren't allowed inside the vehicle. Now most people follow that law. There are always idiots that will still do it, but the vast majority is law abiding.

Laws do change behavior.
Of course they do and as soon as some unstable student shoots someone on campus, they will just say he suffered from bad mental health.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:28 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
I am all for the 2nd amendment, but that campus carry bill just pisses me off so bad! Stupid legislature. While passing campus carry, they refused to pass a bill to make texting and driving illegal.

They claim a law won't change behavior, but I was old enough to remember never once wearing a seatbelt until it became a law when I was a teenager. Our generation's parents let us stand in our seats and lay in the back window area of the car. To be fair, when I was a baby most cars did not have seatbelts, but even after they became standard hardly anyone wore them until it became law.

Same thing with open containers. It was common to drive while drinking a beer until they passed the bill saying open containers of alcohol weren't allowed inside the vehicle. Now most people follow that law. There are always idiots that will still do it, but the vast majority is law abiding.

Laws do change behavior.
Should they pass a law making it illegal for a driver to talk to any passengers?

Road chat: Talking to passengers can be as dangerous as using a cell phone | University of Michigan News

We already have laws on the books for reckless driving.

Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 545.401 | FindLaw

If a cop sees you texting and not paying attention, he/she can pull you over and cite you.

We don't need additional laws when we already have them.

Should we have Tweeting and driving laws? How about Snapchat and driving laws?

Reckless driving laws give cops the discretion to cite you for any activity in which you are not driving safely.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:44 PM

9,139 posts, read 5,806,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
If she didn't have a gun she probably would have stabbed her daughters with a knife. that woman went plain old nut bag crazy.

Then nobody wouldda cared a whit.
(Exceptions being those who knew her.)
We might not have even heard about it.
#OnlyGunViolenceMatters

Old 06-26-2016, 11:47 PM

9,139 posts, read 5,806,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Of course they do and as soon as some unstable student shoots someone on campus, they will just say he suffered from bad mental health.
It's cute that you think that the "unstable student"
wouldn't have a gun if it were "not allowed."

Old 06-27-2016, 05:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
What is the gun violence rate of students carrying vs those not legally carrying vs. the general population?

I understand your concern with guns but you have to understand where legal gun owners are coming from. Where I live a conservative estimate of gun ownership is going to be about 90% of households and many of them are going to have multiple guns, I can buy a gun almost as fast I can buy a loaf of bread, a concealed carry permit is easy to obtain, I can carry a concealed gun in my car with a permit, I can walk down the street with a gun with no permit and while I wouldn't call it common gun shots are not out of the ordinary especially around hunting season. This isn't some back woods community either, it's semi rural middle class area where the houses are separated by a few hundred feet.

Violent crime is practically non existent and other crimes are very low. Nobody is getting shot here and even accidents or self inflicted gun shots are rare. If we were to adjust for the lower population over the last four decades there should have been at least 4 or 5 murders in that time span if the national rate held true. Even in my County with population of 300K if you were to exclude two very small cities the gun crime rate is extremely low, the vast majority of that population is going to be living in dense housing and there is going to be a lot of gun owners.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:47 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
What amendment prevents the government from taking our bathtubs?

http://www.biography.com/people/andrea-yates-235801

Old 06-27-2016, 06:32 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Mental illness, undiagnosed, as usual.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:10 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:

Laws do change behavior.
no laws themselves DO NOT change behavior, but the ENFORCEMENT of those laws change behavior. if the state says you have to wear our seat belt, but they dont write any tickets, then few will wear the belts. on the other hand if the state is handing out $400 tickets for not using your seat belt, you are going to start using it regularly.

the key here is enforcement of the laws.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:30 AM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
no laws themselves DO NOT change behavior, but the ENFORCEMENT of those laws change behavior. if the state says you have to wear our seat belt, but they dont write any tickets, then few will wear the belts. on the other hand if the state is handing out $400 tickets for not using your seat belt, you are going to start using it regularly.

the key here is enforcement of the laws.
If they won't enforce gun laws on the local level how would they do it at the Federal level. Assault weapons bans in NY, NJ and Conn have but a fraction of volunteers signing up and even the local LE say they won't enforce it.

Here in CA you can merely say a name for a ticket, you don't have to produce ID. They also won't tow your car anymore. No shows in court are common when you use a fake name and address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies