Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 04:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times

Advertisements

Guns are not the problem. The problem is our society considers providing, if not mandating, psychiatric therapy, including incarceration for the most dangerous, more of a problem than some wacked out woman killing her kids because she is a psychotic with a gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 08:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in other words you dont give a damn about anyone else but you, and what ever you want. you also have NO foresight.

If I didn't give a damn about anyone else I would not post tirelessly about the insanity of America's Gun Culture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
when the batteries in a smoke detector start to die, there is an audible warning of that fact.
Didn't @Jojajn indicate that the same technology would be available for gun systems? Who really doesn't give a damn about anyone else? Arguing strenuously that guns remain 100 year old relics is what exactly? Existing gun technology misfires occasionally you know. People don't take care of them, or whatever and they jam or otherwise don't work when needed. Spit happens. Let's get intelligent about things and either bring guns into the 21st Century, or outlaw them altogether. It's way past time.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
No the number DOES NOT continue to rise! When you don't even have a minimal basic grasp of the FACTS how can you expect anyone to listen to anything you have to say? You're totally ignorant on the topic and sure that you know "something" needs to be done when you're completely wrong about the reality.

Homicides are half what they were 20 years ago and you want to do something? If liberals had their way the crime rates would have been going up for the last 20 years, not down.

The homicides that upset rational people, i.e. examples like the one under discussion, have NOT gone down and are, in fact, increasing. Suicides have not gone down and are, in fact, increasing. Gang thugs are somebody's child I imagine, but I don't know... do you think we would be getting Democrats to spend 24 hours on the Senate floor if homicides were only experienced by those in the gang community? Sorry, people operating way above your level or mine also think something needs to be done. What that is exactly is the conundrum. Digging in behind the 2nd Amendment will only go so far.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:09 AM

643 posts, read 472,036 times
That is an obtuse statement. Ever heard of the woman who drown her kids in the tub because she thought they were being possessed? I guess by your logic or lack thereof the gov. should ban baths.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
What is your argument to the people on this list?

Cases in which guns saved lives
My argument with that list is that even a cursory examination reveals most, if not all of these incidents to actually be the murder of disagreeable, but not dangerous, individuals. Our warped Gun Culture has social engineered most of society to have no opinion when an armed American murders someone who could not possibly do much more than annoy them! Thanks to very recent information learned from a poster on another thread I have learned that in 61% of home invasions the assailants have no weapon whatsoever! In another 20% they have a weapon that is not a gun. In only 12% of incidents do the assailants have a gun and that gun may actually be the gun that was in the homeowners custody. Ban the damn guns. Do it now. They are a menace. They harm the very people they are intended to protect far more often than they defend them. Seriously, if a gun saved your life, your life wasn't in all that great of a danger.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:18 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
God fearing Christian shoots her two daughters dead, and is killed by responding officer.

Police: Family argument caused mother to shoot, kill daughters - Houston Chronicle

She previously posted that Democrats are trying to take her guns. It's a shame they couldn't, two young girls would still be alive.
There are other ways to kill besides guns.. If she didn't have a gun she would have killed her kids some other way. Don't be so naive.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:22 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
In all her profile pics she had the same expression, and her eyes look weird.
Anyway, what a terrible tragedy. Wonder what set her off?

I have 3 relatives over the years (I have a large extended family) who used a gun to commit suicide. One was my brother-in-law when he was distraught over the divorce with my sister. He was always a good guy, but lost it, took a bunch of pills when she came to his place to sign some divorce papers, but he flipped out and tried to choke her. She pushed him away, called the police and he got his gun. Police tried talking him down, but he turned the gun on himself.

I'm glad I don't live in an area where I feel the need to have one, and I don't live in a rural area so I don't hunt. Guns scare me... too many things can go wrong.
and some people want to take away the police's ability shoot people with weird eyes before they have a chance to commit a crime!

Old 06-28-2016, 09:23 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
My argument with that list is that even a cursory examination reveals most, if not all of these incidents to actually be the murder of disagreeable, but not dangerous, individuals. Our warped Gun Culture has social engineered most of society to have no opinion when an armed American murders someone who could not possibly do much more than annoy them! Thanks to very recent information learned from a poster on another thread I have learned that in 61% of home invasions the assailants have no weapon whatsoever! In another 20% they have a weapon that is not a gun. In only 12% of incidents do the assailants have a gun and that gun may actually be the gun that was in the homeowners custody. Ban the damn guns. Do it now. They are a menace. They harm the very people they are intended to protect far more often than they defend them. Seriously, if a gun saved your life, your life wasn't in all that great of a danger.
This is a tragedy that occurred when this man was told to arm himself because of a number of home invasions in the area!

Quote:
Stanley Wilkinson had a plan on how he would use his gun if an intruder ever came into his home: He and his wife would hole up in the bedroom and call 911, using the gun only to let an intruder know there was someone in the house.

But late Monday night, when he heard a noise outside his Rochester home and thought his granddaughter was sleeping upstairs at the other end of the house, the 61-year-old grabbed his pistol and went to investigate while his wife called 911. He told police that when he saw a figure at their patio door, he believed it was an intruder and fired two rounds, hitting the person once. That person turned out to be his granddaughter.
Rochester pastor who shot granddaughter thought she was intruder - StarTribune.com

Old 06-28-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
That is an obtuse statement. Ever heard of the woman who drown her kids in the tub because she thought they were being possessed? I guess by your logic or lack thereof the gov. should ban baths.
You know what? If 30,000 kids a year were being drowned in bathtubs you better be damn skippy sure that American Standard, Kohler and Moen would all be called before Congress to explain the technology that they were going to introduce to help prevent them. If they couldn't. It would be showers for you and me and the rest of America, going forward. When was the last time you took a bath? Seriously.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
There are other ways to kill besides guns.. If she didn't have a gun she would have killed her kids some other way. Don't be so naive.
They were NOT kids. They were grown women, one of them about to be married. How easy do you think it would be to drown them both in the tub? Butcher knife? Maybe she would get one of them. Both? Unlikely. She could try and poison them. Yes these things happen. They take time and planning. I don't know, given that it happened the way it did, THIS woman was not the type to plan a poisoning. Guns are a least common denominator if impulsiveness that produce results far out of proportion to the effort necessary to employ them. That is bad for society at large. Very bad. Orlando simply could not have happened any other way but with a gun or a bomb. Do you imagine it is easier to manufacture, transport, place, arm and detonate a bomb than to blast away with a Sig Sauer assault rifle on full auto? Who is naive? Not I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies