Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 09:04 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
They are worth it to me, even though it's quite sad.

There are a lot of costs for freedom.

My guess is that the civil war cost many more lives than slavery would have cost, and slavery would have eventually gone away. Was freedom worth all the deaths of the civil war? I'd argue yes.

The freedom to protect ourselves is worth the lives it will cost.
My guess is the person that says slavery would have gone away "eventually" is not looking at it through the eyes of a slave being treated like a farm animal with no freedom whatsoever.

But I think the obsession with guns, the incredible worship of guns has gone beyond any sort of reasonable perspective. I'm sure the next meme will be mental health. They'll say she had mental health problems, it wasn't the gun. Because for gun worshipers, the gun cannot ever ever ever be blamed. An NRA loving woman in Florida loves guns so much she takes her four year old shooting and lets a gun roll lose in her vehicle. The child picks it up and shoots her. Poetic? Yes, but he could have shot himself. Adam Lanza's mother was another NRA loving gun owner who bought her mentally disturbed child guns as a way to bond. He shot her first but still killed 20 first graders.

You think the cost of freedom is worth it and that is the argument. I think we went past logic years ago and it's become a battle where no compromise is possible.

Last edited by Seacove; 06-26-2016 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 09:06 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,604,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
God fearing Christian shoots her two daughters dead, and is killed by responding officer.

Police: Family argument caused mother to shoot, kill daughters - Houston Chronicle

She previously posted that Democrats are trying to take her guns. It's a shame they couldn't, two young girls would still be alive.
This is very bad. Both daughters dead and the mother is dead. RIP.

I wonder what the argument was about?

Old 06-26-2016, 09:09 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
My guess is the person that says slavery would have gone away "eventually" is not looking at through the eyes of a slave being treated like a farm animal with no freedom whatsoever.

But I think the obsession with guns, the incredible worship of guns has gone beyond any sort of reasonable perspective. I'm sure the next meme will be mental health. They'll say she had mental health problems, it wasn't the gun. Because for gun worshipers, the gun cannot ever ever ever be blamed. An NRA loving woman in Florida loves guns so much she takes her four year old shooting and lets a gun roll lose in her vehicle. The child picks it up and shoots her. Poetic? Yes, but he could have shot himself. Adam Lanza's mother was another NRA loving gun owner who bought her mentally disturbed child guns as a way to bond. He shot her first but still killed 20 first graders.

You think the cost of freedom is worth it and that is the argument. I think we went past logic years ago and it's become a battle where no compromise is possible.
Slavery eventually went away in the north didn't it? The English didn't need a civil war to do away with it. Yes, slavery would have disappeared in the south. But like I said, I think freedom was worth the sacrifice. Do you disagree and say the deaths from the civil war was not worth the cost of freedom?

Old 06-26-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Slavery eventually went away in the north didn't it? The English didn't need a civil war to do away with it. Yes, slavery would have disappeared in the south. But like I said, I think freedom was worth the sacrifice. Do you disagree and say the deaths from the civil war was not worth the cost of freedom?
From the perspective of someone not alive in the late 1800s, it was worth it. But gun owners are not being held as slaves. If anything, those who don't like guns are the ones who feel threatened. Professors in Texas are leaving universities for other states because their students can be armed. It is what it is but there will likely come a time when this country just can't keep it together anymore.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
From the perspective of someone not alive in the late 1800s, it was worth it. But gun owners are not being held as slaves. If anything, those who don't like guns are the ones who feel threatened. Professors in Texas are leaving universities for other states because their students can be armed. It is what it is but there will likely come a time when this country just can't keep it together anymore.
You can only resist slavery if you have the means to fight those trying to enslave you. Question, do you think people went into slavery willingly? If not, how is it they ended up as slaves?

How many professors left Texas due to campus carry?

Old 06-26-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
You can only resist slavery if you have the means to fight those trying to enslave you. Question, do you think people went into slavery willingly? If not, how is it they ended up as slaves?

How many professors left Texas due to campus carry?
I doubt every one will make the news but here's one. I wouldn't sit in front of a classroom of armed students. No way. Look what happened in the OP. Your life is one argument away, a student breaks up with his girlfriend and you give him a D? No thanks.

Read what he says in this article. This guy doesn't even hate guns, but says the university is not the place for armed students.

Texas Campus Carry gun law: University of Texas dean quits over it - CNN.com

Old 06-26-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I doubt every one will make the news but here's one. I wouldn't sit in front of a classroom of armed students. No way. Look what happened in the OP. Your life is one argument away, a student breaks up with his girlfriend and you give him a D? No thanks.

Texas Campus Carry gun law: University of Texas dean quits over it - CNN.com
Maybe a couple of fanatical reactionaries who are so dumb that they believe a sign will magically stop that student from bringing a gun.

Do you believe a policy against guns on campus would have stopped Charles Whitman?

Weren't guns banned from other campuses where students went on shooting sprees?

Old 06-26-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Maybe a couple of fanatical reactionaries who are so dumb that they believe a sign will magically stop that student from bringing a gun.

Do you believe a policy against guns on campus would have stopped Charles Whitman?

Weren't guns banned from other campuses where students went on shooting sprees?
Again, you are ignoring how guns amp up a tense situation, not unlike the OP. If someone is determined to go into a building and shoot people, they will. But we see stories every day like the OP where a domestic dispute turns fatal because a gun was handy and a gun always wins the argument. A professor in front of a bunch of young students, any one of which could be having a bad day has to decide if a Texas university is his only choice.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Again, you are ignoring how guns amp up a tense situation, not unlike the OP. If someone is determined to go into a building and shoot people, they will. But we see stories every day like the OP where a domestic dispute turns fatal because a gun was handy and a gun always wins the argument. A professor in front of a bunch of young students, any one of which could be having a bad day has to decide if a Texas university is his only choice.
Why aren't we seeing these bad day murders at gun ranges? If people with guns snapping were a real issue, we'd be seeing at the hundreds of gun ranges in Texas where everyone is armed.

BTW, what age do you have to be in Texas to conceal carry?

Old 06-26-2016, 09:58 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
I am all for the 2nd amendment, but that campus carry bill just pisses me off so bad! Stupid legislature. While passing campus carry, they refused to pass a bill to make texting and driving illegal.

They claim a law won't change behavior, but I was old enough to remember never once wearing a seatbelt until it became a law when I was a teenager. Our generation's parents let us stand in our seats and lay in the back window area of the car. To be fair, when I was a baby most cars did not have seatbelts, but even after they became standard hardly anyone wore them until it became law.

Same thing with open containers. It was common to drive while drinking a beer until they passed the bill saying open containers of alcohol weren't allowed inside the vehicle. Now most people follow that law. There are always idiots that will still do it, but the vast majority is law abiding.

Laws do change behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies