Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 09:46 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
LMFAO. Yep, and if DC were to suddenly fall into the Atlantic or get hit by an asteroid or something cool like that most of we Western states wouldn't notice much either Fluffy. Minus CA most of the West would have a BBQ and crack a jug. You way overestimate your own importance in your precious "seat of power". You may find the way we live out here to be beneath a "civilized" and "educated" () person such as yourself, but that don't matter much in the big pic. The more we deal with all the "enlightened" urban crowd ( of which you are a prime examplle) the more we like our horses. As goes Montana, lol, so goes the rest of the REAL West. It would be more "noticable" than you think.
That's cool. Everybody has to live somewhere. You and the horse have a good time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 09:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
Montana has a bill that any gun or ammo made in the State will not be illegal. I may be moving, they have guts
Better research that carefully! They're not too welcoming to outsiders!

Old 03-15-2009, 10:12 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Better research that carefully! They're not too welcoming to outsiders!
A lot depends on where your coming from and what your bringing with you. If you show up dressed in Birkenstocks and a Greenpeace T shirt fresh out of California with an attitude of "we are here to help" the reception will be quite cool indeed. This is true of Nevada, large parts of Oregon, Idaho, Utah, parts of Arizona,Wyoming, New Mexico, and lest we forget, Texas. We Westerners are getting quite fed up with being told we must "change" to suit the mentalities of wacko urban transplants being regurgitated out of liberal Mecca's like the Bay Area, and a slew of others from other states to numerous to mention. "Local" communities ( read small ranching and farming towns) in the West are naturally standoffish of transplants spouting off about how great is was where they came from and trying to make us just like that. Montana is certainly no exception there. And that is understandable.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:23 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
A lot depends on where your coming from and what your bringing with you. If you show up dressed in Birkenstocks and a Greenpeace T shirt fresh out of California with an attitude of "we are here to help" the reception will be quite cool indeed. This is true of Nevada, large parts of Oregon, Idaho, Utah, parts of Arizona,Wyoming, New Mexico, and lest we forget, Texas. We Westerners are getting quite fed up with being told we must "change" to suit the mentalities of wacko urban transplants being regurgitated out of liberal Mecca's like the Bay Area, and a slew of others from other states to numerous to mention. "Local" communities ( read small ranching and farming towns) in the West are naturally standoffish of transplants spouting off about how great is was where they came from and trying to make us just like that. Montana is certainly no exception there. And that is understandable.
Don't forget Alaska.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:41 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,634,206 times
I lived in Montana for 2yrs. Military base, they are honest to a fault and straight foward talking people with a heart.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:36 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Don't forget Alaska.
Ah , yes, quite remiss of me. AK has a definate place amongst the true West. And to Siverone, you are quite correct. Montana is the one western state that I have not actually spent time in but I have known quite a few punchers that came from there. And they are truly fine representitaves of the breed I like to call REAL Western folks. ooooo, that dreaded "Cowboy" word that so many ignorant people like to use as a derogatory term. Lol, whatever. We ain't a dead breed yet. And ain't likely to be anytime soon. God Bless Chris LeDeaux! "Why I live beneath these Western Skys"............

Old 03-15-2009, 05:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Who are you going to sell your products to? The "buy American" people wouldn't be using your services, you'd be emigrating to another "country" and be subject to their tax structure and immigration regulations.
Remember, you have relinquished all relations with the USA.

The government of Montana would have to increase it's "governance" to take care of all things your population will require: education, medical, colleges, any infrastructure, your own constitution, laws, religious differences, etc.

I think it would be an interesting experiment, I'd like to see it.
Again, how do you think they got by up here before all the "outsiders" found them? I'd say that up until about 15 years ago most didn't know this state was even here or have any notion to have their "summer" house here and the locals did just fine. They sold thier goods to each other buying totally local, didn't care that no chain stores existed nor did they want them. What they couldn't get here they took a "vacation" and went to Spokane and Missoula. Worse case we could go to our trading partners to the north (Canada) where we can get anything we want. So, not really as hard as you'd like to think.
Oh, just to get something straight, I really hope it never comes to this as it'd probably get ugly but if it did I guess I'd choose to stand behind my state.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:25 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
This seems to be the new trend lately--this state or that one making threatening noises about leaving the Union. You notice that all we ever get are some mumblings by a legislator--who's likely only grandstanding so he can pick up a few extra votes the next time he runs for election. But nothing ever gets past this point.

Hey, you live in one of these states and you want to secede? Stop talking, get some mass petitions up, send 'em in to the capital. Go ahead and secede, and see how far you get.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:26 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
THANKS for including IDAHO........ We are a Western State, with Western Folks!!

How can you not LOVE a COWBOY, when he puts his chaps on!!!

Old 03-15-2009, 06:01 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Why? where in the constitution does it say that you have the right to be a homosexual? Please quote the passage if you can...

As for almost going blue, not really true. The reservations voted with who they thought would give them more and the rest were college towns and towns that have been invaded by west coast $$$ libs like Bosangeles. Yes we have a Dem as a govenor but he has stood up to the government on several occasions like RealID for one. Told the feds "ahhh NO, not going to happen here. You see if he starts acting like Pelosi and company he'll be out the door next election and I'm guessing a third party might just get in. Depends how ticked the population is at that point.
Inalienable rights. The boundary issue is clearly on the side of gays getting harassed and unwanted interference. Hetero couples don't belong in any bedroom but their own, and neither does the church unless they've been invited. End of discussion. Nobody owns the patent on god, separation of church and state isn't optional. Especially when religious extremism wants to force it. They're willing to tear republican party to shreds (king solomon parable here) to get what they want. These are not true christians if only people would check the good book for themselves.

It doesn't matter what party or state you're in. You either support the constitution or not. The red rhetoric feeding the masses paranoia is the death throes of GOP held hostage by religous interference. We've got a better chance of minding that constitution with Obama as constitutional law professor than we ever did with Bush or McCain. Whatever anyone wants to call themselves, that's the difference between being American (abiding the constitution), or not (doing whatever you want).

2nd amendment rights has my support, until extremists, criminal element, or children are thinking they're entitled to military scale weaponry. 2nd amendment would be better protected if NRA were policing their own. If it were up to me they'd be writing the legislation themselves that would target criminals/ extremists to debunk any valid argument left. Montana pointing it's guns at percieved enemy liberals (who are your brothers in case you forgot) in word or deed isn't my idea of responsible gun ownership or the true spirit of right to bear arms.

Your very behavior is what moderates who otherwise would have supported you see. Paranoia used as a tool to create artificial affinity will have an unpleasant outcome that threatens everyones right to bear arms. Yes sir, this includes MY right to bear arms. Still want to believe you're talking to liberally liberal kumbaya? You're shooting yourselves in the foot and the so-called leadership putting crap in your ear trying to get your support at any price will mean the end of legitimacy because immaturity and lack of discernment is what's being displayed.

NVplumber-- I hear everything you're saying and agree, but rural people do have a habit of doing it to themselves. Those birkenstock shoes wouldn't be in the town council if the locals weren't in the habit of grousing themselves about greener grass. It takes two to tango. Whatever city folks have got came at a huge sacrafice not just in pooled money to build infrastructure, but cooperation in a system that restricts freedoms. That's the nature of compensating for people stacked upon each other like sardines- the laws get more complicated. Westerners, southerners, rural folks in general-- be very very clear what it is you're complaining about to gov't, and whatever local legislation solution you're saying yes to, be certain of the true price not just in terms of $$$.

I think that subject is a whole other thread, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies