Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2016, 07:23 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times

Advertisements

Close friend of my family is comprised of three bothers; Older and two younger twins. One left to study abroad and the other remained in the US to study. They both came out during that time and didn't reveal it to each other until they joined a year or so later for a family get together. The older brother is not gay.

Both younger brothers (now in their late 30s) have been with their partners for more than a decade. My MIL has been with her partner for as long as I've been married (15+ years). After she came out, she did date a bunch of other lesbians in a short period of time... but we attribute that to adjusting to her "new life". My boss has been with his partner for 20+ years. I do have one co-worker that cannot seem to carry even a short term relationship.... but I bet it has to do with personality and being young/immature.

Gay/Lesbian couples will experience the same/similar relationship problems the rest of us do.... I don't think it is valid to really put a lot of stake in sexual preferences as a primary even influential factor. There are 101 reasons for a couple to split.... most of it has nothing to do with sexuality... (My bet is on MONEY and financial goals )

I remember seeing a study that shows that gay/lesbian divorce is lower than the typical population but it admits that statistics may not reveal the true meaning until much later. Until recently, marriage wasn't possible so many of those being married today have been together for decades... so they've worked all of the newly wed couple problems already... So I wouldn't put much stake in those stats... it is in my opinion that by the time the study matures the differences will be small.

It is my personal feeling that many couples split after experiencing the stresses of having children. Divorce is more common among child bearing couples than those couples choosing not to have children. Obviously, a lot of the gay/lesbian married are opting not to have children.... so naturally less stress to the relationship.

When my wife's grandmother was informed about her daughter's coming out of the closet, the 80 year old joked... "It was about time."

Old 11-25-2016, 07:27 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Just within the last 20 years? After thousands of years of human existence on this earth? It must be something more.

Bit by bit, indoctrination in schools, hurling accusations to create guilt of the principles you hold being wrong (in the view of others), putting the opposing view into entertainment reinforcing the alternative thinking in minds via entertainment and so on.

Wearing people down.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:38 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Marriage is a relatively newer societal construct. The bible has passages that can be read and interpreted to be against homosexuality. I think a lot of people take their cue from that.

I think the bible is old and outdated and foolish in many respects. Sorry Christians, but it's just how I think. I think if gays want to get married who am I to stop them. Who am I to tell other sentient beings how to live their lives, assuming of course they aren't hurting others.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:41 PM

1,850 posts, read 819,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Who am I to tell other sentient beings how to live their lives, assuming of course they aren't hurting others.
And yet, oddly, you do tell other beings how to live their lives because you demand that they follow your belief of total acceptance of almost any behavior. It's a farce when people claim that "accepting everything" means they're not forcing beliefs on others.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:21 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
And yet, oddly, you do tell other beings how to live their lives because you demand that they follow your belief of total acceptance of almost any behavior. It's a farce when people claim that "accepting everything" means they're not forcing beliefs on others.
Nobody is making any demands on you or what you believe.....How on earth does what I believe or accept force anything on others? That is ludicrous.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Nobody is making any demands on you or what you believe.....How on earth does what I believe or accept force anything on others? That is ludicrous.
If you agree with the other guy (I assume you do, since you referred to my response to him), then you demand that I follow your belief of acceptance, which contradicts my belief, which means you are forcing your belief on me and also contradicts your claim of acceptance of other beliefs. It's very simple.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:34 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
I made that point earlier. Gay marriage is built on a foundation of lies. Gays didn't care about marriage until roughly five years ago, when they suddenly remembered how important it was to them. Then it was like "omg, I would kill myself rather than not be married!!" Then they got gay marriage and about 10 of them got married and the rest continued to just live with each other, like they could before gay marriage.
Nonsense.

There were gay couples as far back as the 1970's trying to marry legally. One couple, Jack Baker Baker and Michael McConnell brought their fight all the way to the US Supreme Court.

Oh ... and since Obergefell decision " ... about 10 of them got married" ???

C'mon ... how many same sex marriages have really taken place since the very first legal ones in Massachusetts in 2004?

Old 11-25-2016, 08:36 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
It's a farce when people claim that "accepting everything" means they're not forcing beliefs on others.
This is not true.

This is the very core of the first amendment and the notion of separation of church and state.

One person honoring their belief system is not considered forcing that same belief system on another. Both people are free to honor their faith/belief even if they contradict each other.

You don't have to accept another person's behavior but you certainly don't have the right to impose on it. You are free to voice your opinion but you cannot simply act on it.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:36 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
If you agree with the other guy (I assume you do, since you referred to my response to him), then you demand that I follow your belief of acceptance, which contradicts my belief, which means you are forcing your belief on me and also contradicts your claim of acceptance of other beliefs. It's very simple.
You can believe anything you want.

No one is forcing you to marry a person of the same sex.

Likewise you have no right to force your prejudices on other people.

It's that simple.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:42 PM

I find it amusing that once all the arguments collapse, everyone always goes to "well ...well ...you're not being forced to marry a person of the same sex." That's an observation, not an argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies