Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:18 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheMatrix View Post
wow, another ignorant comment; shocking
You don't support an end to the war on drugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Because that weed leads to stronger drug use and then the person usually has to start stealing from others to support that habit. Better to put them behind bars before they kill someone doing their life of crime. Not to mention they may end up on the road with you and kill you in an accident. IT IS ABOUT SAVING LIVES.

How many people have died as a result of pot alone?
How many people die EVERY DAY as a result of alcohol?

Where is the evidence that Pot leads to harder drugs?
Can it be said also that alcohol leads to harder drugs?

I don't really have a horse in the race, but I see evidence that pot does more good than bad to the body, alcohol destroys lives. The worst consequence I've seen with pot is the danger of getting arrested for it. I knew a guy in college who got arrested for some small amount when he was a juvenile. He got put in "juvie" and it ruined his life for a LONG time. He was one of the brightest, most interesting, and untroubled people I knew at the time. He worked for me as a dishwasher at the restaurant I managed.

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Yeah and what? Because there might be a few hipsters with sleeve tattoos working on their start up that that somehow means that most people in the upper ranks have tattoos or piercings now? Get real. I said they're still an anomaly in the upper ranks.
Hon, I guarantee there are a bunch of people who have tattoos, piercings, smoke pot & you would never know. It's 2017, try to keep up.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:21 AM

307 posts, read 246,148 times
Quote:
yes, I do

I support personal responsibility and the right for everyone to be able to do whatever they want as long as it does not negatively affect others

Old 08-03-2017, 09:21 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That's a very big streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch!

You break the law when you drive over the speed limit or have one drink too many before driving home, does that also lead to hard drugs because they're already breaking the law?

If anything I'd say the only thing about cannabis that contributes to people trying hard drugs is all the lies they've been told about cannabis. When they smoke a joint and find all that Reefer Madness stuff is just that, madness, why would they believe they haven't been lied to about other drugs too?

And after all, the government tells them marijuana is no different than heroin.
I don't disagree but when a person decides to smoke weed for the first time they are making a very deliberate choice and deciding to cross a very bold line our society had drawn. The same cannot be said for speeding or jaywalking or other petty civil violations. I think if we moved that bold line to a more reasonable place it might even have a positive impact on problems we have with harder drugs. Don't put the pot smoker in the same "illegal drug user" group as the meth heads and junkies and maybe there will be less comingling between the groups.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:22 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
I think this issue is more generation than R vs D. Most younger Rs I know want some form of decriminalization of drugs.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Hon, I guarantee there are a bunch of people who have tattoos, piercings, smoke pot & you would never know. It's 2017, try to keep up.
Pumpkin, I didn't say just have tattoos, I said sleeve tattoos, covered in tattoos. And I never said that they had to smoke pot. I know people of every stripe smoke pot. I bet my old high school principle is smoking a fatty right now.

My point is that in the upper ranks, unless they're an anomaly, very few look like this.

Look at how cool she looks! So, edgy. Who wouldn't want to take a bong hit and call Trump a fascist with her?

She proly runs a hedge fund, no?

Old 08-03-2017, 09:24 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:

The war on drugs like most wars is a racket, lots of people making lots of $$$ from it.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheMatrix View Post
yes, I do

I support personal responsibility and the right for everyone to be able to do whatever they want as long as it does not negatively affect others
Then what's the problem? I was just asking because you said that what you don't find in pot shops are illegal pills and harder drugs. Would you be OK with their being coke stores, heroin shops, or PCP dispensaries?

And I agree with your basic principle, just wondering how it would look in practice.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:29 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Because that weed leads to stronger drug use and then the person usually has to start stealing from others to support that habit. Better to put them behind bars before they kill someone doing their life of crime. Not to mention they may end up on the road with you and kill you in an accident. IT IS ABOUT SAVING LIVES.
You best do yourself a favor and google the amount of pain killers sold in West Virginia by big pharma. A West Virginia paper did a series. I saw a senator on tv talking about it They reported 9 million pain killers were sent to one pharmacy in 2 years. The pharmacy was located in a town of less than 1000 people.

I am an old woman who has never smoked pot. Some of my best friends do. I've thought about growing it to supplement my SS.

People older than me smoked pot before it became illegal, including my mom. And DH first boss who was trained by General Patton.

Pot was made illegal because the cotton farmers did not want the competition from hemp.

You want to speak of addicted people stealing from others. Check out big pharma, Wall Street and the Congress of the USA who legalizes it. They are all addicted to money. And they give not one thought to how they get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies