Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 09:30 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
But are you high right now? Because I never said I was against it's legalization but that I just dislike the culture surrounding pot and how people extol it's great potential. That's it. That I am all for it's legalization. That I like pot, but I just hate pot heads.
I don't like the word "high". It invokes an inaccurate picture to those with little or no experience. What's your definition of high? I bet it's different than mine.

So probably the most accurate way to answer your question is yes, I use cannabis during the day. Does it make me high? No, not by your definition.

The strains I use don't cause the stereotyped reactions that are so ingrained in the mind's eye of so many. In a different thread I tried to convince someone that there really are strains that are useful for creativity, focus, and energy, but I doubt I had much success. Most people are simply too locked into their stereotypes to believe that cannabis usage results any anything other than couch-locked Cheeto eaters who's brains are slowed down.

I am in high tech. If you knew the truth about the percentage of people like me who use it for focus and creativity in the high tech field it would absolutely astound you. We're the ones who can afford and are supporting a multi-billion dollar per year industry, not the ones you so hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 09:32 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Putting people into the criminal justice system and messing up their lives because of pot is ridiculous.

I feel the same about paperwork violations for traffic. They are for the most part revenue generation but people who slip up end up getting charged with misdemeanors and becoming "criminals". No one should be on the path to being a "criminal" by having an expired registration.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:35 AM

37,192 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
A piece of advice, if I may. You probably should do your research on why pot became illegal in the first place before you start proclaiming your expertise.
IIRC, it had a little something to do with putting black people in jail.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:36 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I only have a glass of wine in the evening with dinner. Though thanks for asking.
Alcohol is worse than pot. Thanks for playing.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:37 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I don't like the word "high". It invokes in inaccurate picture to those with little or no experience. What's your definition of high? I bet it's different than mine.

So probably the most accurate way to answer your question is yes, I use cannabis during the day. Does it make me high? No, not by your definition.

The strains I use don't cause the stereotyped reactions that are so ingrained in the mind's eye of so many. In a different thread I tried to convince someone that there really are strains that are useful for creativity, focus, and energy, but I doubt I had much success. Most people are simply too locked into their stereotypes to believe that cannabis usage results any anything other than couch-locked Cheeto eaters who's brains are slowed down.

I am in high tech. If you knew the truth about the percentage of people like me who use it for focus and creativity in the high tech field it would absolutely astound you. We're the ones who can afford and are supporting a multi-billion dollar per year industry, not the ones you so hate.
Dude, I get everything you're saying, but it doesn't mean that pot is still the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am sure it's a great homeopathic way to ween off pharmaceuticals but my point is that just because it has some benefits it doesn't mean that everyone is going to see it as the wonder drug alternative that might revolutionize our way of thinking and help society foster greater understanding or whatnot. It's a natural herb that has some benefits and was unjustly maligned for many decades. I support it's legalization but that's about as far as I personally go, and don't need a pot evangelist to proselytize me into the church of cannabis.

It's precisely the preachyness of the pot culture that might annoy some people, even if those people might agree with a lot of their salient points. It just needs to be legal so people won't needlessly go to jail for it.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:39 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I don't disagree but when a person decides to smoke weed for the first time they are making a very deliberate choice and deciding to cross a very bold line our society had drawn. The same cannot be said for speeding or jaywalking or other petty civil violations.

In many states, possession of small amounts of pot for personal use IS a petty civil violation which is why I consider it no more a leap into CRIME! than other petty civil violations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I think if we moved that bold line to a more reasonable place it might even have a positive impact on problems we have with harder drugs. Don't put the pot smoker in the same "illegal drug user" group as the meth heads and junkies and maybe there will be less comingling between the groups.

Exactly! I think the 'authorities' need to be more honest and taking cannabis from Schedule 1 would be a good start. As it is I can see when some innocent takes a few tokes and finds they're not hopelessly hooked the next day, why they would begin to think perhaps all those Schedule 1 substances are no different. Telling them it's illegal is one thing, lying to them about its affects is quite a different thing and IMO serves no real purpose and can only be detrimental in the long run.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:43 AM

307 posts, read 246,007 times
Quote:
Then what's the problem? I was just asking because you said that what you don't find in pot shops are illegal pills and harder drugs. Would you be OK with their being coke stores, heroin shops, or PCP dispensaries?

And I agree with your basic principle, just wondering how it would look in practice.
Are you high ?

my comment was in response to the poster that said pot could / would lead to harder drugs. I responded by giving an example of how / why that happens when you visit a place to buy pot, and have easy access to the harder drugs, and how that is not the case where it's legal.

anyway, to answer your question, yes, I would be ok with it. I don't care much for alcohol, so I don't go into those store, but I don't care who does either

Old 08-03-2017, 09:44 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Alcohol is worse than pot. Thanks for playing.
Alcohol is a horrible drug.
It has ruined countless lives, including lives of people who didn't even use any.

So...your solution is to give the population more drugs to play with.

Ok.

I do agree that jail time for drug use is totally stupid.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:46 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Pumpkin, I didn't say just have tattoos, I said sleeve tattoos, covered in tattoos. And I never said that they had to smoke pot. I know people of every stripe smoke pot. I bet my old high school principle is smoking a fatty right now.

My point is that in the upper ranks, unless they're an anomaly, very few look like this.

Look at how cool she looks! So, edgy. Who wouldn't want to take a bong hit and call Trump a fascist with her?

She proly runs a hedge fund, no?
She's an actor & she probably makes more than you do.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:46 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
Dude, I get everything you're saying, but it doesn't mean that pot is still the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am sure it's a great homeopathic way to ween off pharmaceuticals but my point is that just because it has some benefits it doesn't mean that everyone is going to see it as the wonder drug alternative that might revolutionize our way of thinking and help society foster greater understanding or whatnot. It's a natural herb that has some benefits and was unjustly maligned for many decades. I support it's legalization but that's about as far as I personally go, and don't need a pot evangelist to proselytize me into the church of cannabis.

It's precisely the preachyness of the pot culture that might annoy some people, even if those people might agree with a lot of their salient points. It just needs to be legal so people won't needlessly go to jail for it.
Did I say any of the things in bold? No, I did not.

If I came across as preachy then I apologize, that was not my intent. However, I think it is more likely that you have somehow become hyper-sensitized to it.

I am simply trying to write facts and provide information using words that people won't or can't read into. Apparently I am failing. But not on the facts part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies