Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:59 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And appearances are justification for going to war?
I didn't say it was justified, just stating their motivation. Yes, it was selfish, and self serving as politicians feared for their jobs, and as we all know just want to be re-elected at all costs. Damn the consequences. However, there was tremendous public, and media pressure to stop communism up until the mid to late 1960's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 07:00 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
A LOT of people were anti-viet nam if you are old enough to remember.

November 15 1961 over half million people marched on DC.

Fonda was young and opinionated just like every young person.

Not saying she did not do some things she probably shouldn't have and I am sure she regrets now.

A lot of american soldiers were spit on when they came back from Nam.

Some times I think people just want to transfer their disgust about themselves and they way they acted onto someone else.

I say 'get over it'.
I say "get through it"

You don't get "over" something. Soldiers who have been through combat don't get "over" the horror of war; some can never get "over" the horrible treatment they received from their fellow country men. They learn to live with it, and they learn to get through it.

She should get over it though. She should get over the feeling of wanting to be the center of attention all the God damned time.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:01 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
As usual, you're off base. I DID address what was said and will ALWAYS maintain the real traitors were those who took us to and sustained a war there.

Hate to burst your self-righteous bubble but Truman wasn't the man who did so. Perhaps you've become too accustomed to 'alternative facts' to separate them from reality?
You just called Truman a traitor to the USA.

Your argument failed on all levels.

Attacking me, as you do to most everyone here, only highlights that.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I didn't say it was justified, just stating their motivation. Yes, it was selfish, and self serving as politicians feared for their jobs, and as we all know just want to be re-elected at all costs. Damn the consequences. However, there was tremendous public, and media pressure to stop communism up until the mid to late 1960's.
I agree with you.

Which is why one should never judge history using perfect hindsight.

I just read an article,
72% of Americans supported the war against Iraq in year 2003
Seventy-Two Percent of Americans Support War Against Iraq

Now, that support goes down to zero perhaps. LOL

Some even blame the soldiers.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:08 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You just called Truman a traitor to the USA.
I did NO SUCH THING!

Quote:
Your argument failed on all levels.
You have a vivid imagination!

Quote:
Attacking me, as you do to most everyone here, only highlights that.
I attacked no one, I stated simple facts. Would you like me to dig up a thread about Foxconn in which you stated that :

Quote:
Foxconn said it was due to Trump.
yet several requests for factual support of that statement went unanswered and no such claim could be supported by the cited article?

BTW: That's not an attack, it's a simple statement of fact.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:08 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Some even blame the soldiers.
As others have said, our soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines were treated horrible when they returned here. That was a horrible period of our history. Through the aviation community, I know a good amount of men who served in different capacities in Vietnam. Some flew missions, and were shot at, and some were wounded in ground warfare. None of them deserved the treatment they received. They were just pawns in a political, and economic upheaval.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:09 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
I completely agree! What's shameful is we apparently learned nothing from the experience.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
As others have said, our soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines were treated horrible when they returned here. That was a horrible period of our history. Through the aviation community, I know a good amount of men who served in different capacities in Vietnam. Some flew missions, and were shot at, and some were wounded in ground warfare. None of them deserved the treatment they received. They were just pawns in a political, and economic upheaval.
I agree with you and see the point you are making.

Maybe I am just the minority here. I don't think they are pawns, I view them as heroes. I dont expect anybody to agree with me, however.

A lot of South Vietnamese thank the American troops till this day for liberating them. This is just a fact. (not saying the war is justified or worth it, but American troops have done some wonderful things for these people.)

Old 09-19-2017, 07:14 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
I did NO SUCH THING!
Yes you did.

You said.....
The REAL TRAITORS were those who led us into that cesspool in the first place.
The person that led us there was President Truman. Can't argue that. It's history.

Of course I get that you were only using these hysterics in vain attempt to discredit the party you were responding too. I assume that you don't really mean it either because you didn't really know the history, or you thought the rest of us didn't.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:18 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:

Of course I get that you were only using these hysterics in vain attempt to discredit the party you were responding too. I assume that you don't really mean it either because you didn't really know the history, or you thought the rest of us didn't.

Well if anyone would understand that type of argument it would be some one who does it all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies