Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 07:20 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yes you did.

You said.....
The REAL TRAITORS were those who led us into that cesspool in the first place.
The person that led us there was President Truman. Can't argue that. It's history.

Of course I get that you were only using these hysterics in vain attempt to discredit the party you were responding too. I assume that you don't really mean it either because you didn't really know the history, or you thought the rest of us didn't.

My bad, I should have said those who started a war of choice (which I consider a cesspool) for NO good reason.

And if you really want to discuss vain attempts at discrediting things, as I've said, I'll be happy to dig up a thread about Foxconn displaying 'alternative facts' attempting to discredit others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 07:26 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
My bad, I should have said those who started a war of choice (which I consider a cesspool) for NO good reason.
Fair enough. Thanks for correcting.

Vietnam was not a war of choice like say Iraq II, Libya, or Syria. But rather it was caused by a series of very bad choices, starting with the reestablishment of French Colonial rule after WWII that made that war happen.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:31 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Fair enough. Thanks for correcting.

Vietnam was not a war of choice like say Iraq II, Libya, or Syria. But rather it was caused by a series of very bad choices, starting with the reestablishment of French Colonial rule after WWII that made that war happen.
One of the CIA guys on the Ken Burn's series said that when the French pulled out of Vietnam we should have seen that as the end of world colonialism, instead of a further fight against Communism, and re-unification of Vietnam. I agree, but hindsight is 20/20.

Remember, all the "wars" in Africa in the 70's as colonialism was dying, but left a VOID in which every, crazed Warlord wanted to get rich at the expense of the populace. They came to power crying "kick out the colonial powers" yet exploited their own people, often worse than the Europeans did.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:40 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times
I've been watching the Ken Burns series on the Vietnam war for the past couple of nights. Very well done as you'd expect from a Ken Burns work. It still amazes how we got sucked into such a quicksand pit. Should have been obvious from the start that it was a no-win situation.

Last edited by r small; 09-19-2017 at 08:24 AM..

Old 09-19-2017, 08:46 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,299 times
Jane Fonda made a mistake 45 years ago. She has apologized and, she has moved on with her life and is seemingly quite happy. To bad others cannot do the same.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:54 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Jane Fonda made a mistake 45 years ago. She has apologized and, she has moved on with her life and is seemingly quite happy. To bad others cannot do the same.
She told others to "get over it". I don't know why. Nobody is obsessed with her. lol It looks like she is the only one who doesn't want others to "forget about it."

Old 09-19-2017, 10:38 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,275,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Little known factoid..Ho Chi Minh helped the US during WWII by working with the OSS to return downed pilots to their countries--he received a letter of commendation for it.

He stated in his diary that he was perplexed he was fighting the US--since all he wanted for his country was the right to self-determination..the same thing that the colonists wanted during the Revolutionary war.

We picked the wrong side, that time.

left propaganda..........self determination under communist rule, that is retarded if you ever knew what is true communism.

Ho Chi Minh was a puppet of communist China and the Soviets......sure he was our ally during WW 2 against Japan but so was Stalin and Mao who later became our enemies in the Cold War, what's your point?

the left was on board to defeat the Nazis but fighting communism in the cold war they sure sided with the enemy and were hostile to our Veterans coming home for the war.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:43 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Ho Chi Minh was a puppet of communist China and the Soviets......sure he was our ally during WW 2 against Japan but so was Stalin and Mao who later became our enemies in the Cold War, what's your point?

the left was on board to defeat the Nazis but fighting communism in the cold war they sure sided with the enemy and were hostile to our Veterans coming home for the war.
The American Left was usurped by the Communists, and did as much, or more to get U.S. soldiers killed as the Russians, and Chinese. They acted as traitors, and Fonda symbolized their disgusting philosophy. The ideology of today's left is even more Communist than in the 60's, and 70's. They certainly fell for their story book, utopian lies, that is for damn sure.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Lack of knowledge of history is noted.

If any actor/actress went to ISIS and did same - they would be in jail !
What knowledge do I lack?
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Why would you start with Ike and not Truman?

The History Place - Vietnam War 1945-1960

And to your point, the way people like Obama and Bush armed the powder keg known as the Middle East, it looks like you will support a lot of spitting in the near future.
If you wanna start with Truman, be my guest.

I don't support spitting on anyone.
Quote:
Little known factoid..Ho Chi Minh helped the US during WWII by working with the OSS to return downed pilots to their countries--he received a letter of commendation for it.

He stated in his diary that he was perplexed he was fighting the US--since all he wanted for his country was the right to self-determination..the same thing that the colonists wanted during the Revolutionary war.

We picked the wrong side, that time.
Pretty much. But the truth hurts Fonda haters.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Fact is the men did not die in vain. They fought a war that you and others refused to back but yet it was OK when Kerry smeared our soldiers and Hanoi Jane sympathized with the enemy. Go burn an American flag and get it over with.
Got anything other than platitudes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Isn't there some hypocrisy in claiming self-determination while seeking to conquer your weaker neighbor to the south?

North Vietnam incorrectly saw us as a colonial power seeking to subjugate them like France, Japan, or China.

The US incorrectly saw this war as an extension of the Cold War with the North as pawns of the Soviets and Chinese.

Neither side put themselves in the shoes of the other.
It was a Civil War. They were NOT incorrect in seeing us as a colonial power because we were overtly pro French right from the beginning.

The fact that the North was trying to subjugate the South isn't a matter for the United States. That's an internal Vietnamese matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Jane Fonda is the same miserable homo sapien she ever was. When vets saw through her phony apology, her true stripes came out (again), with her acrid response that they should "get over it."

Her own father, one of Hollywood's biggest liberals (and who served admirably in WW II) was embarrassed by her, and didn't speak to her for years. 'Nuff said.

You pay for your thrills, lady.
Henry Fonda never got along with his children long before the Vietnam debacle.
Quote:
A valid point of view..from their perspective.

The US DID support the French coming back after WWII..and before Dien Bien Phu the US supported the French in their attempts to suppress the insurgency.

In South Vietnam..the US called the shots..and you can believe..had we won the war and occupied North Vietnam..we would have called the shots there as well.
Correct Evil! The United States was trying to make Vietnam a satellite, and they rejected it. That alone hurts a lot of American feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies