Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2018, 12:50 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times

Advertisements

OP, I'll only write that many mental disorders aren't formally identified until years after symptoms started showing

Old 06-03-2018, 01:03 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times
TDS is but one of the dangers of 'Identity Politics'... when your politics crash and burn, so does your identity.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:35 PM

20,110 posts, read 9,028,155 times
I hope those suffering from TDS find peace in their miserable lives some day.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:43 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,402,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I hope those suffering from TDS find peace in their miserable lives some day.
As well as those who suffer from:

Obama Derangement Syndrome (ODS)

Hillary Derangement Syndrome (HDS)

Michelle Obama Derangement Syndrome (MODS)

Pelosi Derangement Syndrome (PDS)

Which is nearly every pro-Trump poster on C-D.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Interesting piece from last year in Salon. https://www.salon.com/2017/01/08/you...e-his-critics/

"Ironically, efforts to pathologize or psychologize those who oppose Donald Trump actually reflect deeper problems with both him as a candidate and now president-elect, as well as his supporters. Psychologists and other observers have concluded that Donald Trump may suffer from narcissistic personality disorder. He is an egomaniac with delusions of grandeur. Trump is also profoundly ignorant, and as the Atlantic pointed out in a blistering condemnation during the 2016 campaign, "he appears not to read." His movement possesses the attributes of a political cult. Trump is now also the leader of a Republican Party (and broader conservative movement) that acts more like a religion than a functional political organization interested in responsible governance."

I see this constantly on this forum, and I'm not sure if people who constantly go on about it realize that nobody actually thinks this is a disorder. It's just a nuisance where people toss it casually into any attempt to hold a conversation where parties are not in agreement.

where was salon when the left was using obama derangement syndrome or even earlier when it was bush derangement syndrome? and where were you when these were also tossed out regularly?

Old 06-03-2018, 01:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I think if you are a liberal, following Trump on Twitter and you find yourself going bald, you probably do have TDS. You should start wearing a cone like they put on dogs, so you can’t pull your hair out.
I think you're just a liberal who is worried about Trump being president. And, he's not running the smoothest ship ever, so maybe those liberals have something to be concerned over.

Me, I'm just not that worried. It'll all sort itself out one way or another anyway.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I actually agree with this statement. Now if we could only manage to convince those on the left that the color of Obama's skin was not the primary reason many people didn't like him, we'd be getting somewhere. But that may be asking a bit to much from the left, seeing as how that has been their "go to" narrative for the last 10 years or so. I'm sure there were some who didn't like Obama because he was a black man, but those people were definitely in the minority. Most didn't like Obama for his policies, not his race.
Perhaps they were, but they were a very vocal minority and the people who had other reasons for not liking Obama tended to side with those types instead of calling them out for their racist, bigoted attitudes.

So, yeah... maybe don't align with racists if you do not want to be seen as sharing their sentiments.

Lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas and all that.

Me, I see some antifa types out throwing bottles through shop windows and setting cars on fire and I say "those people are destructive idiots."

I don't say "well, what about that time when the Klan did that!"

Nah... my first reaction is to disapprove of property destruction.

If the first reaction of anyone hearing that a fellow conservative is behaving in a way that suggests that he or she might feel comfortable donning a white hood and burning crosses in yards, maybe it's time to decry what that person did, even if your politics are otherwise in alignment.

During this whole Roseanne thing, I have seen way too many people defending her for me to believe that they aren't either:

1) In agreement with the way she is talking
2) Just don't care if she hurts other people, even if they don't agree

Either stance is problematic.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:55 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Never, nor will they admit to being part of Cult 45.

Look, the only derangement here is that of the Trump worshipers. It is an objective statement of fact that Trump is dishonest, a liar, untrustworthy, immature, and saddled with a long history of failing to keep his promises and sticking it to people for petty and immature reasons. He's also a bigot, but I don't expect that to dissuade his hard-core supporters.

So, we're left with a man-child who nobody would seriously trust with their money, house, or wife. Before Trump ran for office as a Republican, he was seen as simply a crude, over-the-top boar - a gross caricature of what wealthy people are, and that was it. But all he had to do was utter the right hatred and say the correct lies, and now the far-right forgets reality and blindly supports him. THAT is derangement.

One amusing example from my personal life is an old right-winger at work. He has 3 adult daughters, lots of guns (oh, does he love his guns!), and he has had made it clear to anyone who asks that if any man "ever messes with his daughters, he'll blow them away."

Aside from how "mature" that attitude is, what of Trump's well-documented habit of cheating on his wife and being a sexual predator? Oh, well... he has every excuse in the book for that, of course! Funny how that works - if Trump messed with HIS daughters, wouldn't he have to "blow him away?" And funny how he forgets that all the women Trump has treated so poorly are OTHER men's daughters - I guess only his deserve protection?

That, right there, is derangement of a cult-like level.
LOL, yea, Rambler is the perfect name for you.

As for the accusation of cult behavior, showing your TDS much? No chance of misdiagnosis there. If you don't agree with him then those who do are a member of a cult. So typical of liberal thinking.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:00 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Perhaps they were, but they were a very vocal minority and the people who had other reasons for not liking Obama tended to side with those types instead of calling them out for their racist, bigoted attitudes.

So, yeah... maybe don't align with racists if you do not want to be seen as sharing their sentiments.

Lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas and all that.

Me, I see some antifa types out throwing bottles through shop windows and setting cars on fire and I say "those people are destructive idiots."

I don't say "well, what about that time when the Klan did that!"

Nah... my first reaction is to disapprove of property destruction.

If the first reaction of anyone hearing that a fellow conservative is behaving in a way that suggests that he or she might feel comfortable donning a white hood and burning crosses in yards, maybe it's time to decry what that person did, even if your politics are otherwise in alignment.

During this whole Roseanne thing, I have seen way too many people defending her for me to believe that they aren't either:

1) In agreement with the way she is talking
2) Just don't care if she hurts other people, even if they don't agree

Either stance is problematic.

at least you also recognize the fact that if we are going to bring more civility to political discourse, we have to start with ourselves. jesus once said remove the log from your own eye before you try to remove the twig from your neighbors eye.

but until we become more civil in our political discourse, we are going to see issues like the ones with rosanne and samantha bee.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
***Special note to another one of your posts. Josef Menegle and Hitler were not on opposing sides during WWII. Instead he was probably more evil than Hitler, being a sadistic murderer under the guise of being a MD. I guess he forgot his Hippocratic Oath or was not in school that day.

I guess you missed my post or have just not gotten around to responding. However your reply above directed at another poster has me baffled, especially in light of your OP.

We are talking about TDS, not whether regular folks who don't like Trump as president do so for rational/ideological reasons, right?

So while you do not strike me as someone with TDS that I recall, why do you boil down what you dislike about him on a physical and/or attractiveness level?

I am a hetero guy, so his looks are irrelevant to me. But even if Hillary would have been elected, I would not be judging her on her looks, attractiveness to me, etc.
That would be completely irrelevant to how she was doing her job.

As to not being able to find even one thing you like about him, I find that had to believe, so maybe you are starting to be infected by other people/posters with TDS.
I certainly can fault in any president, but I can also find favor as well, even for those who I ideologically/politically oppose.
So let me take one recent example of something positive Trump did, and use it as a thermometer to gauge whether you are coming down with TDS.

Trump signed into law the "Right To Try" bill aimed at helping terminally ill patients access drug treatments, that are yet to be fully approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
To me that seems like a no brainer, but I do not suffer from TDS.
So what is your view on this?

Diagnosis to follow your reply.

`
I know Hitler and Mengele were on the same side... not sure why that was part of this, but... moving along.

I mentioned Trump's appearance because I was trying to find something nice to say. I surely do not admire his business acumen (he really does not have any), or his elocution (he sounds like a dottering fool most of the time and he uses words smaller than the average 3 year old). I generally cannot say as I think he's doing much that will lead the country in a good direction. The 2 or 3 times I have said "well, that thing Trump did was okay" it was usually some thing that ANY president would have done, regardless of who got elected.

So, I was looking outside the standard to find stuff. Like, did I appreciate him as an entertainer (not) or as a good parent (nope)... so what was there left?

Nothing, really. I cannot find much to say about him that is flattering and I know I don't have any sort of derangement syndrome or whatever.

I also am not sure I could find anything complimentary to say about Dr. Phil or Dr. Oz.

Though, I do not specifically dislike either of them. I just don't really like them, either.

So, I dislike Trump. The man, the president... I have never liked him.

If you want to talk about people I dislike where it's more about their policy decisions, it's easier to refer to someone like a Paul Ryan or a Mitch McConnell. I never heard of either of those guys until they were in office, so maybe I would not have liked them before, either. I mean, Ryan idolizes Ayn Rand.

As for the Right to Try law... I am fine with it in theory. The reason I do not find it heroic is because I spent a decade working in big pharma and I know that they've had compassionate care provisions in place for a very long time that allowed people to try out drugs that were not FDA approved but had already been through human trials, so this thing he is doing is really just creating a way for big pharma to circumvent the FDA a bit easier... money. It is all about money.

People who were dying always had the ability to petition to get meds that were not fully approved yet.

Example: back in 2009 (I think it was, maybe it was 2008) when they thought we'd have an H1N1 pandemic, some drug companies had new formulations of existing medicines that had been through first-in-human trials, but had not yet made it through FDA approvals and had their NDAs approved to commence pharmacy sales.

People who got really sick with H1N1 were given some of these drugs to speed up their recoveries and help prevent the potential for lingering illness that would lower their immune response and leave them open to secondary infections and possible death.

So, yeah... it is always been possible to do this. It's just easier now. And, that was a win for big pharma more than for patients.

Once pharma is willing to put stuff out there that isn't even through human trials yet, you will know we have arrived at a true policy that is there to benefit people who would otherwise die without trying these medications.

I see it as a neutral sort of a thing he did, as far as patients are concerned. It's big for pharma, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies