Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2018, 01:00 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm on the fence about these type of situations, as every one is a bit different. It's just too easy to call security "racist" for asking someone if they are a guest in the hotel, and the person being asked is intentionally deceptive about who they are and what they are doing, all to provoke a reaction.

Like MPowering said, hypersensitivity leads to apathy on the part of the rest of us who are being bombarded with stories like these.

Some, in fact most, are genuine examples of racial bias, but some seem manipulated to appear that way on the part of the "offended". And without going thru all 40 pages, has anyone mentioned Hallway Harry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy73I2re7mI
Hallway Harry seems a little drunk to me.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:04 PM

2,828 posts, read 824,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You realize there are people working full time on salary from activist groups just trying to CREATE situations like this.

If this man is legit I believe it’s a terrible thing but I don’t believe he’s legit, sorry. Had the camera all ready to go, the social media outrage so well coordinated.
Yea what was it 2 or 3 in the morning sitting with his feet up wearing a black hoodie on the lobby phone and a cell phone in his pocket, yep sounds like a set up to me. Why in the hell didn't he go to his room and use his cell phone?

Old 12-31-2018, 01:06 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Yea what was it 2 or 3 in the morning sitting with his feet up wearing a black hoodie on the lobby phone and a cell phone in his pocket, yep sounds like a set up to me. Why in the hell didn't he go to his room and use his cell phone?
So DoubleTree would be wise to fire a Security Guard so easily played?

Old 12-31-2018, 01:06 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I know who did this. It doesn't change the fact that he was seeing color. It can even be a flaw of people of color.

I addressed that already. I don't really care what you say you do.
I think it's instinct to view people who look differently than you, such as in shades of pigment or a dwarf or a disfigurement and think of that person as different. That why society has elites and dregs. It's human instinct to weed out the different, the weak, and the weird.

Trying to change a basic instinct is never going to work.

The best we can hope for is a tolerant behavior to those who weird us out or we think as different than us.

Speaking to people we find weird is by far the best way to not have misconceptions about a person's looks. Avoidance leads to hate.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:08 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Everyone stays outraged and screaming about something. 428 posts here of nothing.

The guard made a mistake. Put him in a Diversity class. After that, I guarantee he won't do it again. Problem is solved.

Peace & quiet again.

(I would say everyone happy, but some just refuse to be such.)

Old 12-31-2018, 01:09 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
I do not understand what a black hoodie has to do with anything, and he was using his cell phone, IDK why we thought before it was the lobby phone.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:28 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I think it's instinct to view people who look differently than you, such as in shades of pigment or a dwarf or a disfigurement and think of that person as different. That why society has elites and dregs. It's human instinct to weed out the different, the weak, and the weird.
There is an instinctual element to it but by the time you reach adulthood you should know better than pull someone over simply because they have a "wide set nose".

Quote:
Trying to change a basic instinct is never going to work.

The best we can hope for is a tolerant behavior to those who weird us out or we think as different than us.

Speaking to people we find weird is by far the best way to not have misconceptions about a person's looks. Avoidance leads to hate.
Having pulled Castile over 53 times in a short span they most certainly should have been familiar with him. (no one gets pulled over this often unless there is profiling going on)

Old 12-31-2018, 02:11 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I worked in HR for many years, and then became a member of management who actually did the hiring. Now I teach job skills to underprivileged women. I work closely with the state workforce commission. These women have it drilled into their head "Clean up your social media. Make sure your email address isn't something skanky." Etc. Etc. We are responsible for what we post. What we post reflects our values, our lifestyle (or what we want our lifestyle to be), what's important to us, etc.

What's the best indicator of future behavior? That's right - past behavior. That's just common knowledge, not rocket science.

One time I served on a jury. Wow it was interesting and I learned so much about so many different aspects of the law, as well as life in general. It involved a case of criminal trespass vs possible police brutality. To be honest, I didn't like ANYONE involved in it - not the guy who came into the house, not the woman who let him in,not her enabling weird mother, not the landlord, not the cops, nobody. But I did feel like maybe the cops went a little overboard (everyone was African American in this particular story by the way). So I felt some sympathy for the guy who did come over when he had a restraining order against him, and when the jury convened I said, "I don't know - I hate to find him guilty because I can sort of see where he's coming from, and I do think the police might have overreacted." Thankfully, another guy on the jury said, "Look, we're here to determine if he criminally trespassed. Period. Is he guilty of criminal trespass? Because we don't know really anything else about him at this point, nothing about his history, nothing about events leading up to this - so is he guilty of criminal trespass in this case?" And yes, he was. Reluctantly and with some distaste, I voted that he was guilty and he was found guilty by the court.

And THEN we got to hear the rest of the story, during the sentencing phase. NO WONDER the cops were so put out with him. He had been found guilty of assault, criminal trespass, yada yada yada over and over again - with this same woman in fact, IN THIS SAME APARTMENT COMPLEX. He had outstanding warrants too. But we couldn't hear any of that prior to sentencing. Wow, we were glad when the judge threw the book at him after it was all said and done!
I'm with "another guy on the jury". And it's ok with me if the judge sees fit to try to, in his/her view, balance things out during sentencing. Because sometimes even a judge's sentence can get overruled by a higher court. I think we have a system that tries to get to some kind of equalness/fairness/balance for everyone at the same time. Impossible? No. It's called justice and every very rare once in a while justice plays out in a courtroom. But it's also very rare to see justice done if the data coming into court is more subjective than objective, more looking at the past than looking at the here and now.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:38 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Yea, no doubt, but when he said he "asks white people the same thing" he wasn't lying, there is video of him doing just that. So now one asks the question, is he really racist, or just a douche? It's not always so obvious.
I agree. If a white guy is an ass toward me I think he's an ass. When he's an ass toward a black person, he's still an ass, but many will jump the gun and claim he's a racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
To add to this do you want to employ such a person? Knowing that they are going to always be looking to be offended. This becomes a complete liability. There comes a point where it is not worth hiring certain people considering the lawsuits, trips to human resources for some petty slight. Might as well just not employ such a person. The risk factor is not worth it.
I've been posting about this issue for more than a year and referenced it again in a post in this thread before the one you quoted. Nobody is going to put their hide on the line, their career in jeopardy, or their reputation at stake. We all misstep. Few can afford to have their head called for when they do.

All of this started with the white SJW's on the far left and some black folks have taken the bait. No suggestion coming from that crowd has further advanced the living conditions of black folks. In fact, all of their *advocating* has done nothing but the opposite.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:22 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well....I must not have a chip on my shoulder because I checked the box on nearly every point of your black "friends".

The last time I remember being really angry it was at cancer for taking a couple of loved ones before their time, recently. I am no longer angry though, just seeking knowledge of how best it can be prevented and or fought.
Your post deserves a more thoughtful post than I have time for now (New Years Eve and all).

However in case I forget, run out time, or the thread gets locked, I do want to ask a question and give a bit of helpful advice.

First, why quote my post and only put black friends in " " ?
Do you really doubt I have black friends, or am I misinterpreting your meaning?

Second, cancer is an insidious disease that does not play favorites based on race, gender, religion, etc.
So unfortunately we all have had friends and loved ones suffer and ultimately die from it. I do believe this will be a disease we one day defeat (at least many forms of it), but until then let me pass this on to you and anyone else who is interested.

A field of study which has had promising results is known as angiogensis research/therapy. The pioneering
leader (Dr. Judah Folkman) has since passed, but his protege (Dr. Li) and the research center have come up with promising insight on how we can help fight cancer through a diet.
Granted it is not a cure by any means, but a tool that can assist in the fight with those who have cancer. It can also theoretically help prevent or limit cancers growth via dietary choice we make every day.

Watch this Ted Talk presentation for some interesting information;

https://www.ted.com/talks/william_li?language=en

Happy New Year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies