Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2019, 07:20 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I used to be a ferocious homophobe. The sight of them enraged me. I didn't know any personally but felt qualified to judge and harass them.

Then one day I found out that one of my hunting buddies, drinking buddies and best friends was gay. Imagine my sense of betrayal. Why didn't he tell us? LOL I mean after all those gay jokes, gay bashing sessions, he should have felt it would be all good. Right?

The man that helped me build my house. The man that had my back when we served. The man who drove 800 miles to be at my side when my first born died shortly after birth.

I guess I had a decision to make. Well he is still my best friend today and his partner is family to me. Since that day of learning his secret I have gotten to know others. Yeah I felt a bit icky at first. Then I felt a lot of shame. Hating people we dont know is pretty lame.

Where I live now there are quite a few transgenders. Some I call friend.

The whole point of my post is simple. Gays, bi's, lesbians, transgenders? They really only want 1 thing. To live their lives without being harassed, discriminated against, or excluded from benefits everyone else is allowed to enjoy. In short they want the same freedoms as everyone else.
15 years ago a gay man or woman could not sponsor the person they loved for a Fiancee or marriage VISA.
30 years ago, smacking them around was no big deal.
Today people still judge, still discriminate, and still single them out for assaults.

I don't agree with all of their demands. Transgender male to female, competing against females? Wrong
Parents pushing a 5 yearly to self identify as a different gender? A 5 year old is still looking at dirt and wondering if it will taste good. That said, every Transgender I know, claims that they always knew that they were really female. I just think that there are far too many well meaning parents trying to show how PC they are by programing their children to believe or behave in a certain manner.
I really love your post, except your statement, "imagine my sense of betrayal". Imagine his sense of discomfort. Really. Imagine how he felt. Imagine it.

Lovely that you've now embraced him. And certainly, you MUST KNOW WHY HE DIDN'T TELL YOU. You must, certainly.

Because he was afraid that the whole group would completely reject him. That's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 07:23 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
As a former atheist and gay person who's come to faith in Christ, I completely agree with Huckabee. Whether you are heterosexually or homosexually inclined, you must be willing to forsake it all in order to follow Christ. Whether of heterosexual or homosexual nature, lustful thoughts are immoral. Sex should occur only in the context of marriage. In fact, the faithfulness to which we are called in marriage anticipates the marriage of the church body of Christ (i.e., the redeemed; i.e., believers) to Christ Himself. All human relationships are inferior to our own relationship with God. It is of great comfort to me to live knowing that I am not my own but that I belong to the One who purchased me through His holy blood - that is, Jesus.

Initially, this was a hard doctrine to accept. Now, I will not put up with anyone who teaches a false gospel that affirms homosexuality.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:33 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
As a former atheist and gay person who's come to faith in Christ, I completely agree with Huckabee. Whether you are heterosexually or homosexually inclined, you must be willing to forsake it all in order to follow Christ. Whether of heterosexual or homosexual nature, lustful thoughts are immoral. Sex should occur only in the context of marriage. In fact, the faithfulness to which we are called in marriage anticipates the marriage of the church body of Christ (i.e., the redeemed; i.e., believers) to Christ Himself. All human relationships are inferior to our own relationship with God. It is of great comfort to me to live knowing that I am not my own but that I belong to the One who purchased me through His holy blood - that is, Jesus.

Initially, this was a hard doctrine to accept. Now, I will not put up with anyone who teaches a false gospel that affirms homosexuality.
I can see why this - or any other dogma - would be hard to accept.

Problem is - this is a political forum. Whatever comfort a Buddhist finds in Buddha, a Wiccan in the Priestess or a Hindu is Krishna has exactly zero to do with what is being discussed.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
It’s not very fair, but I believe it stems from the history of promiscuous public behavior among gay men. I was born & raised myself in San Francisco and was aware at a rather young age of the gay men on Polk St. who enjoyed cavorting in public and in the bathhouses still in existence at that time. Some gay men frequent cruise locations, whereas lesbians generally don’t. Lesbians have historically been more covert with their libidos.
Believe me, some weird sex was happening in the Haight and all over the country at the same time!

Ever hear of a 4 marriage? A 6 Marriage? Free Love wasn't about gay people (in general)????

My guess is that the Catholic Church was knee-deep in their "love" at the time also...am I right?

Old 04-09-2019, 07:40 PM

During the Bush years we used to say the last refuge of Republicans was "I only **** my wife" - that being their top selling point. Of course, with the Trump years and Newt and Vitter, Ensign and dozens of others we now see that talking point has come and gone.

What is it now? I can only think "I'll try not to get caught ****ing anyone but my wife, so vote for me!".....

Old 04-09-2019, 08:16 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post

So, no doubt, you now pretty strongly feel that homosexuals should keep themselves a closely guarded secret and say "Hell, no!" when asked if homosexual.

And what about President Trump? Do you love him about as much as Jesus Christ?

Old 04-09-2019, 08:16 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I really love your post, except your statement, "imagine my sense of betrayal". Imagine his sense of discomfort. Really. Imagine how he felt. Imagine it.

Lovely that you've now embraced him. And certainly, you MUST KNOW WHY HE DIDN'T TELL YOU. You must, certainly.

Because he was afraid that the whole group would completely reject him. That's why.
LOL I was being sarcastic.... Kind of. I did feel betrayed, but that's how you feel when you deny your own guilt. Thus the sarcasm. I certainly do understand.
The group did reject him, me too for about a day. I suddenly realized how empty my life would suddenly become if the man I called brother were to be gone. On the second day I called him and told him to come on over and bring his partner with him. We were having a cook out damn it. After that my friend knew his partner was welcome any time, every time. Especially sense his partner is a beer snob like me.

They just visited me here in January. It reminded me of one of the things I miss most. The weekend get togethers.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
LOL I was being sarcastic.... Kind of. I did feel betrayed, but that's how you feel when you deny your own guilt. Thus the sarcasm. I certainly do understand.
The group did reject him, me too for about a day. I suddenly realized how empty my life would suddenly become if the man I called brother were to be gone. On the second day I called him and told him to come on over and bring his partner with him. We were having a cook out damn it. After that my friend knew his partner was welcome any time, every time. Especially sense his partner is a beer snob like me.

They just visited me here in January. It reminded me of one of the things I miss most. The weekend get togethers.
Well, there ya go. That's why he didn't express his sexuality.

Because everyone, except you, rejected him.

THAT'S why gay people keep quiet. That's why we, the general public, don't know who they are. Because they're hiding.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:05 PM

623 posts, read 233,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If Republicans had their way, I'm certain it would be illegal for gay people to hold hands in public. Homosexuality would still exist, as it always has, but it would be pushed deep into the closet.

Part of the reason American Republicans are so sympathetic to Putin is they like his anti-gay propaganda law.
So you admit there IS a homosexual agenda AIMED at children since you just said Putin has an anti homosexual propaganda law...precisely my point,they would be more accepted if they didn't try to brainwash the young into accepting something that isn't normal nor wanted...adults brainwashing children into thinking like them is abuse. My children are allowed to think as they please if they ask questions I answer them, kids are curious creatures so when they see 2 women or 2 men holding hands OF COURSE they have questions and I have answers. I refuse to bend to a sick societies sick ideas of what's normal.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:13 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.R.I.O.N View Post
So you admit there IS a homosexual agenda AIMED at children since you just said Putin has an anti homosexual propaganda law...precisely my point,they would be more accepted if they didn't try to brainwash the young into accepting something that isn't normal nor wanted...adults brainwashing children into thinking like them is abuse. My children are allowed to think as they please if they ask questions I answer them, kids are curious creatures so when they see 2 women or 2 men holding hands OF COURSE they have questions and I have answers. I refuse to bend to a sick societies sick ideas of what's normal.
So you need laws to force everyone to live like you think they should and punish those who don't. I get it. That is what #MAGA means at its core. Everyone should be forced to live like the white evangelicals believe they should. Everyone should know their place and be dealt with strictly if they venture outside of what the government tells them God's will is.

Hopefully there's enough freedom loving Americans left in this country to push back against this white Christian nationalist hijacking of everything in our society that is currently happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies