Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2019, 09:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Women’s soccer wouldn’t exist if not for Title IX garbage.
Not really, it was around in Europe in the 1900's though the men were threatened by a British game attracting 53k. The men's Soccer league actually banned women from playing in stadiums attached to a men's team, preventing women having that sized platform.until a year before the "Title IX garbage." But, please double down on the lies. https://historycooperative.org/goal-...-rose-to-fame/

Old 06-12-2019, 09:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I had to look all of this stuff up because I had no idea what 9 pages of chatter was about. I feel stupider for doing so! Who the heck cares about any of this? It's nonsense and non news.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:49 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Not really, it was around in Europe in the 1900's though the men were threatened by a British game attracting 53k. The men's Soccer league actually banned women from playing in stadiums attached to a men's team, preventing women having that sized platform.until a year before the "Title IX garbage." But, please double down on the lies. https://historycooperative.org/goal-...-rose-to-fame/
Women's football did well during World War 1, due to the mens teams all being at war, indeed many teams didn't come back from the war, and a few matches post war did attract a significant crowd, particuarly Preston which had a very good team under Dick Kerr. Preston played at Everton's Goodison Park in a match to raise money for charity, and people were eager to support charity Post WW1, and there was a good crowd.

Although given there was no television at the time, there was little else to entertain the masses. Indeed in 1918, a baseball game between the US Navy and US Army at Chelsea FC's Stamford Bridge stadium in London attracted 38,000 fans, including King George V and baseball was popular in parts of the country, indeed the US Army, US Navy and Canadians played a number of games in London, and the posters for some of the games are in the link below.

Baseball! U.S. Army versus Canadians | Imperial War Museums

Anglo-American Baseball Project

However in terms of the women's football (soccer) game it was never going to displace the men's game, and in terms of crowds, back in those days, it hardly cost anything to get in to watch, you stood on the terraces and men's teams reguarly had massive crowds, with over 147,000 being packed in to Hampden Park for a men's Scottish Cup game in 1937.

The women's game was generally played at smaller grounds but kept going, however it never generally had the fan base that the men's game had.

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-13-2019 at 03:21 AM..

Old 06-13-2019, 03:00 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Looks like she is a white supremacist too from the photos in the linked article.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:39 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
I wonder what her chances are for being someone's spokesperson after soccer.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:31 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9999 View Post
Forget the team's political beliefs, their late goal celebrations yesterday were the epitome of bad sportsmanship. I'm fine with running up the score but the over-the-top celebrations were completely uncalled for. Based on most news reports this morning, most American agree.
There will be payback for that. Not well taken by the international football community.

I played soccer through college and coached kids until age 45. There is an unwritten rule in soccer about running up the score that transcends that notion in American sports.

When one has clearly defeated a team, there is no point in humiliating them. You simply re-arrange your offense and defense as well as change personnel to allow the opponent to get a few goals and stop the bleeding. We would have kids practice certain moves for the rest of the game to get experience exercising these "one on one" move in real time and setting up plays but not executing them. It's cool to see every kid on the field try a double scissors and execute it properly.

I ALWAYS put our worst players in striker forward positions. Why? A lot of garbage passes in front of the goal from skilled crosses or set ups by the mid-fielders, resulting in certain scoring opportunities. Anyone could punch such set ups into the goal. By scoring, it builds the confidence of these kids and actually removes them from the area in which they are traditionally placed (fullbacks) in which they can cause more damage to the team and never get the opportunity to score.

I have had kids come to me as young adults and tell me they never had so much fun in a sport as playing soccer on my team. Sports are about building confidence and trying to transfer some life lessons from the field to daily life. Winning (and losing) can be very instructive, but humiliation is rarely beneficial.

Depending on the age of the team, I would also forfeit games in which there was a significant rain. I liked playing in the rain in college and high school, as you didn't get that hot and it put the defense at an advantage. But there is no point in having kids under age 13 go out and freeze their asses off and be miserable just for a game. Oddly, many parents would be upset with me, as it tarnished the team's "record"! Everyone thinks their kid will play in college and missing that one game will make all the difference. I got news for you- your kid is either fast, or they aren't. That genetic issue is the basis for a good player- you either have it or you don't. When you see 4.6 forty speed blow by you, suddenly you understand.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:43 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
And if the U.S. Soccer Federation didn't have a policy requiring players to stand respectfully during the playing of the anthem, she'd be taking a knee again, as she did in 2016.
Representing the US is different than private teams but they obviously have no policy. If they are going to start forcing athletes to sing they are going to be very busy as very few sing the anthem.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:46 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
What happened to all the team supporters crying about the womens team getting unfairly criticized because of their gender for doing things that gets mens teams and players criticized all the time?

Did you finally google who Collin Kapernick was? Did you finally google Charles Barkley?

Old 06-13-2019, 06:56 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I wonder what her chances are for being someone's spokesperson after soccer.
Nike will USE her to virtue signal to the Lesbians and anti American clientele. You know the Che Guevara shirt wearing people, and those with body piercings. Democrats.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:01 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Women’s soccer wouldn’t exist if not for Title IX garbage.
I'm probably going to sorry for asking but why is Title IX garbage, I can hear those knuckles dragging along the ground.

I didn't know they had Title IX in the other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies