Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2019, 02:10 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
And yet the US team is kicking butt while you people pound on your keyboards & whine like babies. Huh.
Boy ain't' that the truth. A bunch of cry babies is what I read. This entire thing has been blown out of proportion.

Trump is polarizing by design. He ran on the platform of Us vs Them, he has done and said a whole lot of things that many Americans find repulsive. So naturally there is a large segment of our population that does not support him. Instead of recognizing this his supporters go into freak out mode every time their boy is criticized.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 07-03-2019 at 02:27 PM..

Old 07-03-2019, 02:12 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
As a lifelong soccer player myself I was disgusted by their poor sportsmanship. Running up a score like that is just plain rude. On top of that, Rapinoe’s refusal to act like an adult and be prideful in her position on America’s highest-level soccer team is an embarrassment. We already had a Hope Solo, we don’t need any more terminally angry hateful women pouting and complaining their way through the world’s upper eschelon of soccer competition.

Just shut up and play. Your careers will be over before you know it, trust me. I’m recovering from knee replacement right now in fact thanks to all those years on the field. I’m happy to be remembered for my playing skill, and not my pouting and complaining antics.
OMG - rude? I think it's rude that a game should have a winner! Now who is sounding like a snowflake? This is a professional sport - not pee-wee league.

Oh I get it, girls are supposed to play nice.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:17 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Yes, the woman's soccer team is very good compared to its competitors. My problem with the sport (apart from the disgraceful behavior of the player in question) is that the general differences in skill between the different national teams seem to be like night and day. Sure, the US has some "peers," but there seems to be more legitimate competition among men's teams.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:28 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yes, the woman's soccer team is very good compared to its competitors. My problem with the sport (apart from the disgraceful behavior of the player in question) is that the general differences in skill between the different national teams seem to be like night and day. Sure, the US has some "peers," but there seems to be more legitimate competition among men's teams.
Yeah I have noticed that as well, the gap between the good and mediocre teams is much larger with the woman for some reason.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:39 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah I have noticed that as well, the gap between the good and mediocre teams is much larger with the woman for some reason.
Different cultures put a different set of values on athletic performance, if the Cold War was still on a would guarantee that an East German Womens team would be giving Team USA fits every 4 years.

Even among men different sports claim the absolute top athletes depending upon location . If soccer were a bigger deal here our top guys would not bulk up to be American football players and then the men as well as the women might be more competitive in this sport

Old 07-03-2019, 02:54 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Hardly anyone watches women's soccer. It's boring.
You people sure whine about it. Cry on, crybabies.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:06 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Different cultures put a different set of values on athletic performance, if the Cold War was still on a would guarantee that an East German Womens team would be giving Team USA fits every 4 years.

Even among men different sports claim the absolute top athletes depending upon location . If soccer were a bigger deal here our top guys would not bulk up to be American football players and then the men as well as the women might be more competitive in this sport
If you mean American Football as NFL Football most Soccer players would have alot of bulking up to do. Regardless as to their athleticism they just dont have to frame for football. Neither do many Baseball or Hockey players.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:13 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Hardly anyone watches women's soccer. It's boring.
I disagree. I find women’s soccer more competitive then the men’s. Maybe your have a thing against women.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:42 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
She may be great at soccer but she’s sorely lacking in other character traits. She comes off as very bitter and angry.
I don't agree...but it is truly amazing that men competing professionally (football, e.g.) often get away with violent and abusive behavior especially toward their partners, but they're just too valuable to sideline. Oh, I guess as long as it's off the field it can be more easily ignored. But hey, even in football they put on quite a show with their touchdowns - guess that's all okay.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:58 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Seattle Storm (WNBA) apparently is GF of Megan Rapino. She had a profanity-laced, valley-girl-speak-laced OP ed about the situation in a local newspaper yesterday.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en...-rapinoe-uswnt

I don't imagine I could even get the title past the CD naughty-language filter. Here's a small sample:

Quote:
O.K. so now that that’s out of the way, I’ll answer The Question. The one that’s probably most on your mind. And by that I mean: What’s it like to have the literal President of the literal United States (of literal America) go Full Adolescent Boy on your girlfriend? Hmm. Well… it’s WEIRD. And I’d say I actually had a pretty standard reaction to it: which was to freak out a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies