Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 10:41 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
I say Mississippi and West Virginia are the two worst states in America, but Trump would never dare criticize them.
You don't see their representatives making fools of themselves calling him racist, Hitler, white nationalist, among other things, demanding impeachment, now do you? He fights fire with fire. MSM bashes and says it's okay to bash the President, but when he does it he has to be held accountable. Nice double standard. That's why he has so many fans because he sees right through it and basically tells them to fk off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
If California wasn’t forced to fund the unproductive red states, their taxes could be much lower.
That's false. Your CA state income tax dollars are for California services, like giving illegals healthcare. So make sure you work extra hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 05:28 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
"The LAO also cites figures from a March 2016 report by the Pew Charitable Trusts. It found the federal government spent nearly $356 billion in California in fiscal year 2014, for salaries and wages, grants, contracts, retirement benefits and other benefits. That same year, California paid about $369 billion in total federal tax -- or about $13 billion more than it received -- according to the Internal Revenue Service Data Book, 2014.

Another widely-cited study from 2007 says California received only 78 cents for every dollar it paid in federal taxes."

https://www.politifact.com/californi...re-it-gets-dc/

Not that facts matter in this forum, but besides just the dollars and cents, the real issue is what can be done to alleviate these problems that are growing across all of America. Unfortunately, all too many people devote their time to exchanging partisan nonsense about all our problems than they devote to truly understanding the true causes of the problems and the truly difficult choices available to solve them.
Do you think the LAO, SOURCE: California Legislative Analyst's Office, could be a bit biased.

"for salaries and wages, grants, contracts, retirement benefits and other benefits."

I DON'T see anything about how much the DoD spends by having so many military bases there.

Or how much those bases CONTRIBUTE to the Ca economy.

As they say, figures DON'T lie BUT, liars figure"

Old 08-05-2019, 09:13 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
my comment wasn't really in response to you but a general comment about the topic.

I get a lot of people like California. I like California from a nature standpoint and weather standpoint and it does have nice places to live.

I see liberals on here bragging about rich people in California but that is dodging the poverty issue. A lot of rich people doesn't mean the state doesn't have a lot of poor people.
There is much to appreciate about California beyond the nature and the weather (though those two are hard to beat), and I'm not sure you are explaining anything about the rich and poor that everyone doesn't know, including all Californians who aren't brain dead.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
As a conservative I will say California is one of the most successful states in our union.

The drug crisis is not limited to CA.
Homelessness is not limited to CA.
Gentrification is not limited to CA.

Stop acting like it is. CA is merely a large, beautiful state to live in with an outstanding economy. A shining example of capitalism in spite of some of its leadership.
A conservative willing to consider a topic in more a fair, reasonable and objective fashion? Can't be...

Not to repeat myself, but on the other hand I think bares repeating. What is the root cause of the drug crisis? You're right. It isn't California or liberals.

What is the root cause of homelessness? You're right. It isn't California or liberals.

What is the root cause of gentrification, or the high cost of living? Or pollution, urban sprawl, racism, income inequality, lack of affordable health care, crime...

You're right. It isn't California or liberals...

Old 08-05-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
California is a dump. Yes, I used to live there.
Usually just ignore these sorts of comments but now and again I like to point out what is a classic immature drive-by toss from the peanut gallery intended only to insult. Insulting everyone's intelligence and a total waste of time.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
i bet getting permits to do any kind of housing development in California is incredibly time consuming which is gonna prevent demand keeping up with supply
You don't seem to know much about what you are going on about, but you are right there are lots of people in California anti-urban sprawl. Not sure who is pro-urban sprawl, but most people I know prefer to keep it as limited as possible after learning our hard lessons a little too slow and a little too late...

Again I grew up in southern California where there used to be thousands of acres of orange groves and open space that quickly got chewed up by housing development, malls and freeways in mindless fashion. Now you can hardly get from point A to point B 15 miles apart down there without taking all afternoon.

In northern California where I eventually moved, in the Bay Area more specifically, there has long been much more in the way of open space protected from that sort of sprawl and the BART system helps to concentrate housing where growth has continued nevertheless. Helping with people's commute, but still the traffic is getting worse rather than better.

It's about a lot more than just lack of space that drives up the prices here. It's also the amount of natural beauty that IS protected from urban sprawl. San Francisco is one of the few cities from where you can travel not too far or long and be in some of the most beautiful open spaces, farm land, Redwood forests, wilderness and open country. There is also employment opportunity, a good university system and diversity.

California is also a more inclusive, progressive place where to be a good American you don't have to target POC with fascist immigration tactics or insult immigrants (legal or illegal). You don't have to carry a Bible or wear a MAGA hat...

Last edited by LearnMe; 08-05-2019 at 10:55 AM..

Old 08-05-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
Growing from immigration. The people that have grown up in Ca are leaving. They have seen the negative change that has happened over the years.
So "growing from immigration" is a negative change then?

Old 08-05-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I bet, without looking, that Californians' FED Taxes paid to the US govt exceeds most other states and without California's contribution to our economy we be hurting.
I guess you don't have to look at my comment #276, but your bet would be a winning one either way...

Old 08-05-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Nonsense. Educated suburban voters have money, and don't like to see it wasted. Most want to keep the most they can.

They may have been bleeding hearts in college but as soon as they started to make money along with paying for kids to raise, mortgages, insurance, etc., it changes.

I read somewhere that the average Trump voter has a salary in the 70s.
I was a liberal when I went to college, not a "bleeding heart," and I am still a liberal who has always been against my tax dollar being wasted. One man's wasted tax dollar, however, is another man's chance for a better education, help with health care, cleaner water, protected environment, mass transit...

When will conservatives quit the mindless rhetoric and finally focus their attention where and how it should be focused?

Old 08-05-2019, 09:51 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, he blew the GOP's chances with the well-to-do conservatives in Orange County once he raised their taxes. He's mostly popular in the hinterland away from the coast, and with property values there being what they are, most of them don't have a problem with their property tax deduction being capped.
Trump 'won' Newport Beach in 2016.

In 2020 we'll see if he's dug enough of a hole in four years to chalk up a 'loss' there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies