Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 06:46 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well 80% of Americans want universal background checks how big is that NRA voting block. They aren't the largest lobby funding wise but it is most definitely an impact.
There are universal background checks, or did you not know that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
NRA tells them how to vote.
The NRA doesn't give really large donations to any one politician, so why does congress listen?

It's because there is one of the largest, and most passionate voting blocks behind the NRA.

I know you guys refuse to acknowledge this, but it's a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 06:53 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
There are universal background checks, or did you not know that?

The NRA doesn't give really large donations to any one politician, so why does congress listen?

It's because there is one of the largest, and most passionate voting blocks behind the NRA.

I know you guys refuse to acknowledge this, but it's a fact.
It’s called lobbyists! Hello? hugeeee

Old 08-08-2019, 09:12 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I think mass shootings are prime candidate for better background checks! Duh!
Except this individual had no criminal history in TX and a background check would have done nothing.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:27 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
It’s called lobbyists! Hello? hugeeee

After talking to the NRA, Trump will confer with Hannity on what to do.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:29 PM

31,074 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Except this individual had no criminal history in TX and a background check would have done nothing.
Good point. Are there any of the shooters that would not have passed a background check. The San Bernadino Terrorists had their neighbor buy them.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:32 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
The NRA doesn't even make the top 50 of political donors.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php?id=

The NRA is trying to protect a NATURAL RIGHT, specifically upheld in the Constitution. Nothing more.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:54 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Good point. Are there any of the shooters that would not have passed a background check. The San Bernadino Terrorists had their neighbor buy them.
Straw purchases are illegal but I guess their neighbor did not know better. The Columbine kinds got it the same way.

Universal background checks won't accomplish a damn thing. I think they're only pushed because to enforce that law you'd probably need to greatly increase the powers of the ATF to track gun owners.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:56 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,201 times
Let's face it, Democrats will never vote for Trump even if he cures their mother's of cancer.

If Trump does something to tee off his base, they may not vote Democrat but they may stay home instead of voting and with margins as small as they are, he loses.

I don't know about independents, but I don't think anyone is passionate about universal background checks. People will forgot and move on.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:34 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The NRA is trying to protect a NATURAL RIGHT, specifically upheld in the Constitution. Nothing more.
Please. NRA's very own TV channel went nuts over a children's TV series depicting cognizant trains when it added a non-white character.

https://www.snopes.com/tachyon/2018/...resize=768,428

They've long ice abandoned the "muh rights!" platform.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-09-2019 at 09:04 AM..

Old 08-08-2019, 10:55 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
As an NRA life member and supporter of our civil rights, I'm glad the NRA is finally standing up and doing something. Trump has to understand that people DID vote for him to stand up and protect our rights against the whiny loons on the left. If he can't do this-he is losing votes. IF he supports either "red flag" laws or registration (aka "universal background checks")-I will not be voting in the next presidential election.

Trump needs to remember who his supporters are and protect the civil rights of American citizens-not sell out Americans to score political points-from people that would never vote for him in a million years anyway. If we wanted our rights taken away-we'd vote for Democrats in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies