Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 10:17 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,188,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I was an honor roll student and definitely didn't want to be there. I was beat just about every day and the days I wasn't I had to be on guard to avoid being jumped. I was often jumped anyway, of course. I lived in terror at home and at school too. At least at home I got a breather when people were away and I was left home alone. At school there was no escape. By the time I was 16, I wanted to drop out of school. The school staff lied to me and told me if I dropped out of school that I'd never be able to get a job. "No one will hire a drop out" they said. All I needed to do in life was 'go to school and make good grades and you can get a job anywhere.' I went to school, made good grades, and couldn't get a job anywhere. They lied to my face so that I could stay put and be hurt even more.

I am in my 40s and been sick all of my life. I have little to no social skills from going to school. When would I have learned those? My skills were trying to be invisible and trying to stay away from everyone. Since I still got beat up, those skills weren't very good, were they? I have had no friends. I have PTSD since I was a child. I have trouble trusting anyone. I would have been better off had I never gone to school. I have never had the opportunity to be gainfully employed at any time in my life. I fill out the applications and they never want me.

I was always blamed for the abuse I was forced to endure. Teachers/staff told me things like "You bring it on yourself" "You can stop it any time you want to" "You know what you're doing". I would walk down the hall to my next class and one of them would walk up to me and punch me, for example, and the teachers/staff would insist I caused it to happen. I'd be sitting at my desk and someone would walk by and hit me and I'd be blamed for that too. I never did a single thing to any of them, but I somehow deserved to be terrorized daily.

I don't have much compassion for these teachers. I find myself reflecting on all the teachers that did nothing when I'd be attacked sometimes right in front of them while they did nothing. I wonder how many of these teachers stood by while someone like me was harmed and did nothing. It's kind of a karma.

If I'd dropped out of high school my life would have been better. I could've got my GED later, but I would've avoided a lot of problems had I not been forced to go to public school.
Sounds pretty odd to me. I never had a bad teacher...99.9 percent of them were good human beings. I enjoyed going to school. Got to see all my friends...and keep an eye on all those all those hot chicks in my highschool.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:17 PM

914 posts, read 643,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I have to believe the majority of kids in those schools never behave like the handful do. It's grossly unfair to the students who know how to behave to have their classes disrupted by a minority of losers, but teachers / administrators sit on their hands.
This woman's statement should be heard far and wide. Just what "duty" are we assigning our teachers to? Do we need to give them hazard pay?

It seems they tie the hands of the teacher, they gag him/her, and hang his/her retirement in front of their noses to force them to stay.

Is this what a teacher must go through to teach here in the USA?

Old 09-09-2019, 10:56 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I worked in the Compton Ca schools the three years before the LA Rodney King Riots of 1992. In the high schools the school police patrolled in 4 man squads, if anything broke out a lone cop stood a big chance of being taken down and his gun getting in enemy hands The only thing new now is that the student has a movie camera to record the incident. And the kids have been raised on UFC fighting and are more dangerous than ever before in hand to hand fighting.

As a kid every now and then Blackboard Jungle from 1955 would rotate to TV on our independent station's movie block. On Room 222 in the early 70s the lead teacher Mr Dixon had to break out his Marine skills to put down a student in one episode. By the late 70s on The White Shadow TV show Coach Reeves had to stop the rape of the assistant Principal. I am just saying violence against teachers is not something that is new
School violence is nothing new. I think what is new is the lack of consequences. What else is know is the fact that this stuff gets put on social media.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:02 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
This woman's statement should be heard far and wide. Just what "duty" are we assigning our teachers to? Do we need to give them hazard pay?

It seems they tie the hands of the teacher, they gag him/her, and hang his/her retirement in front of their noses to force them to stay.

Is this what a teacher must go through to teach here in the USA?
There are more teachers who feel the way that woman does. Many have made themselves heard, and then found themselves no longer teaching. Many people are raising their voices. In many cases, alot of people aren't listening.

I also want to bring something else. Philadelphia's former mayor, Michael Nutter, a Black man, lashed out of the groups of Black teenagers who were attacking people in Downtown Philadelphia. Alot of Black people attended the speech where he lashed out at said teenagers. There were Black people in the crowd hearing him and agreeing with him. Sadly, the people who should have listened to him the most, they weren't hearing him. The teenagers who were out causing violence weren't listening. They didn't care. They didn't care that they embarassed themselves, their city, and their race. They didn't care about anything except causing violence and exerting their anger on other people.

Some people will never listen because their either too cowardly, or they just don't care.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
I work in a Level C program, this is about the highest program for public schools dealing with students who have behavior issues, including fighting and assaults similar to this. Many of these students would fall under being "at-risk" because many want to drop out. Dropping out of school, leads to prison and you can get the idea... I see things like this similar from time to time. Stabbing with pencils (have seen this from time to time), fights between students and even staff getting hurt by students. I have not seen a full on assault like this though. I have to wonder how much trauma these girls had to be like this.

I tried to break up a fight between two middle schoolers once, that is not easy. I was told by the behavior coach I work with not to again because I had a cut from an errant foot during the rolling around. I wonder with the kids, if they didn't want to break it up for this reason. That said, I don't get the catching it on cell phone video at all though. The current culture of video anything is dumb IMHO and I am fairly into tech and social media...

Old 09-10-2019, 01:07 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Black women are more likely to get abortions than any other demographic. And yet, a majority of murderers and murder victims are Blacks, particularly males.
I know.
Nature's own ethnic cleansing.
And the longer people like you come up with excuses like it's not their fault but society is holding them back the longer it will happen.
Which is a win-win all round.
Let 'em keep blasting the crap out of each other.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:51 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I support any and all barriers physical and otherwise to keep the bad away from the good and the incompatible away from the compatible.
Unfortunately, the "good" speak out of both sides of their mouth. Once their children screw up, because the have and they will, they want no consequences for their children.

Why do you think we now have these leniency laws? It was to keep things fair for all groups.

Earlier when I said my daughter lives a better life, because she now has conflict resolution skills that I didn't, I was not implying that I was violent. It was the other way around. I was a minority in a mostly WASP area. But those children rarely got consequences that you are proposing now. Now we have enough money and sense to stay away from both groups. That is why she has a better life.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:01 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Black teacher being terrorized by Black students. Sounds like it isn't just White teachers being terrorized. That Black woman did what she was supposed to. That's why she's a teacher. Sounds like a violent underclass problem to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D8wksBOiy0
That poor woman was a substitute teacher, probably one of the most thankless and underpaid jobs in this country. However, based on profession demographic percentages, black teachers are more likely to be assaulted than any other demographic. There are a number of reasons for this, starting with a higher percentage of black teachers work in high poverty urban schools.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:01 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Maybe these children were traumatized by a mural of George Washington, see George Washington mural 'traumatizes' San Fran students, or G-d Bess America, see Racism, Kate Smith & School Brawls.
I don't think this is a time for jokes. I certainly don't find that video funny at all.
Yesterday I responded in a "flip" manner to Green_Mariner's post. This is a more thought-out response. Before editing, I incorporated Rhodesia's response. I think Green_Mariner responded well to the point, so I deleted my response to that part of the post.

The point in my post was that certain minority leaders spend a great deal of time finding offense in inanimate objects. People who actually run cities or school districts are forced to react to the protests. The course of least resistance is to take down a statue, conceal or demolish a painting or mural, or rename a bridge or highway, regardless of whether there is actual offense created by the memorial. Nine times out of ten it is only the "leader" who thinks twice about it. Particularly in the case of George Washington or Thomas Jefferson. Robert E. Lee, admittedly, is a closer call.

However, addressing the actions of long-dead people does nothing to address the very real problems in the schools or cities. Whatever that teacher did to trigger the assault, for example, the students involved are doing nothing to further their future. Indeed they are hurting it if they get a juvenile or criminal record from the incident, if they just develop a reputation as people to be avoided or even if they put a potentially valuable advisor out of action through injuries, reassignment or death.

My point is that these same minority leaders show little concern for the future life achievements of the assailants or the other classmates, and a lot of concern for historical grievance. While unnecessary offense should be avoided, I see little in the way of trying to steer people towards constructive values.

Last edited by jbgusa; 09-10-2019 at 05:11 AM..

Old 09-10-2019, 05:18 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default JV records sealed, cleared to purchase a firearm thru a nics check

Most importantly the attackers will have the JV records sealed and be eligible to purchase a firearm and pass a nics check.

Of course their lawyer will charge, the teacher allowed herself to be beaten, by his client. the beater will claim delayed ptsd in which she will regret having attacked the teacher. The beater now suffering nightmares. Nightmares she would not have to endure if only the teacher stopped her from attacking.

hope the JV's didn't miss their free lunch.

Think that is a weird scenario, how about that judge from DC suing the dry cleaner for 7 million dollars for losing his pants.

A brave new world where everything is turned upside down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies