Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 01:04 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,741,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
https://www.unitedvanlines.com/newsr...ers-study-2021

The trend continues. The top 7 states affluent Americans are leaving most, are all Liberal. The reasons given are apolitical, but how to explain why ALL 7 are Liberal high-tax states

NJ, NY, MA, CT, MI, CA, IL, are the top 7 in lost residents.

Just a hunch, but I think the Republicans, & Independents who identify more with Pubs, are the first to leave the Liberal states. I say this because Florida's new voter registrations lean Republican, not Democrat. For the first time in a long time, Republicans now outnumber Democrats in Florida. Florida is a huge inbound state, so carries greater weight than say tiny Vermont.

I say "affluent" Americans because generally speaking, that is who uses Van Lines to move. Less affluent movers typically use their own vehicles, pull behind trailers, and rental trucks.

Who is moving is key, because affuent people pay more in taxes, & possess greater wealth. These 7 Lib states are losing enormous amounts of future taxes, & commerce...Billions worth. That leaves less affluent taxpayers behind to shoulder the tax burden. They will also lose Congressional seats.

For those remaining behind, they are certain to see more tax increases to offset these enormous losses.
I think the ridiculously much higher cost of living is a bigger reason than taxes to move. The rising cost of living becomes more and more intolerable, while the awesome mountain views and short drive to the beach becomes more and more boring. Illinois being the exception for scenery.

As article said, lots of new retirees still moving to Florida, probably more likely to be Republicans.

No doubt a number of conservatives, affluent or not, have also had enough with blue states and have been moving out of them. Not many, but a few of them have been moving to Oklahoma. They show it by getting on local social media about a local proposed sales tax increase for streets, writing, "Please, please, please take it from a former Californian. Never vote for new taxes, ever!" With inflation way up, may not be a good time to propose hiking sales tax. But bad city streets are the no. 1 complaint. The mayor and city manager promoting the tax hike have lived in Oklahoma for decades, so are not migrants. Meanwhile, I think liberals from blue states are avoiding Oklahoma like the plaque, but not so about Texas. Unlike Texas, the cost of living will in Oklahoma will remain among the lowest of states as a result. Good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 01:04 PM

2,047 posts, read 871,648 times
Yeah these liberal minded people are so stupid, they move to these red state areas and then vote the exact same way where they came from. Literally. It’s disgusting, Stay in your own cesspool of human waste that you created.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:05 PM

4,039 posts, read 4,504,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
https://www.unitedvanlines.com/newsr...ers-study-2021

The trend continues. The top 7 states affluent Americans are leaving most, are all Liberal. The reasons given are apolitical, but how to explain why ALL 7 are Liberal high-tax states

NJ, NY, MA, CT, MI, CA, IL, are the top 7 in lost residents.

Just a hunch, but I think the Republicans, & Independents who identify more with Pubs, are the first to leave the Liberal states. I say this because Florida's new voter registrations lean Republican, not Democrat. For the first time in a long time, Republicans now outnumber Democrats in Florida. Florida is a huge inbound state, so carries greater weight than say tiny Vermont.

I say "affluent" Americans because generally speaking, that is who uses Van Lines to move. Less affluent movers typically use their own vehicles, pull behind trailers, and rental trucks.

Who is moving is key, because affuent people pay more in taxes, & possess greater wealth. These 7 Lib states are losing enormous amounts of future taxes, & commerce...Billions worth. That leaves less affluent taxpayers behind to shoulder the tax burden. They will also lose Congressional seats.

For those remaining behind, they are certain to see more tax increases to offset these enormous losses.

Taxes or demographics ?

Old 02-02-2022, 01:09 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,741,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Blue voters are moving to red states. This mass migration could turn red states purple.
But they are avoiding the plains states from Oklahoma north, like the plague, fortunately. Few liberals want to work in the oil fields or work a low paying retail or food service job or tolerate the far right Christian cultural and political atmosphere.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:09 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,291,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
i moved out of NJ (a state that is so progressive, they can’t even figure out legal weed despite people voting Yes). 5 figure annual property taxes and a governor who wants to give illegal immigrants free college tuition shows that there will never be a plan to reduce the tax burden plus all the other taxes they hit you with and constantly raising tolls. it was beaten into my head that the state is a losing proposition and it was time to move on.

if you want a low cost of living, keep the red states red.
Are you affluent though?
I don’t see affluent residents moving, they are fixing up their houses and looking around to where else they should invest in second houses. Not actually changing domicile because it is a great life if it is affordable.
The less affluent are moving because they find it too difficult to keep up with the high costs.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:12 PM

26,494 posts, read 46,842,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I think the ridiculously much higher cost of living is a bigger reason than taxes to move. The rising cost of living becomes more and more intolerable, while the awesome mountain views and short drive to the beach becomes more and more boring. Illinois being the exception for scenery.

As article said, lots of new retirees still moving to Florida, probably more likely to be Republicans.

No doubt a number of conservatives, affluent or not, have also had enough with blue states and have been moving out of them. Not many, but a few of them have been moving to Oklahoma. They show it by getting on local social media about a local proposed sales tax increase for streets, writing, "Please, please, please take it from a former Californian. Never vote for new taxes, ever!" With inflation way up, may not be a good time to propose hiking sales tax. But bad city streets are the no. 1 complaint. The mayor and city manager promoting the tax hike have lived in Oklahoma for decades, so are not migrants. Meanwhile, I think liberals from blue states are avoiding Oklahoma like the plaque, but not so about Texas. Unlike Texas, the cost of living will in Oklahoma will remain among the lowest of states as a result. Good!
Oklahoma and Kansas both have very regressively high sales taxes on all grocery food items. High taxes hit lower wage people, of which there are a very large percentage in both states.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:15 PM

20,088 posts, read 18,350,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

Most people realize that high cost of living and high taxes run together. I fact taxes literally cause higher living costs.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:21 PM

26,494 posts, read 46,842,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Most people realize that high cost of living and high taxes run together. I fact taxes literally cause higher living costs.
That is not applicable to some rural resort/retiree/recreation areas that have a high percentage of second homes, and now more permanent residents due to WFH. They generally have very high housing costs, but often low taxes.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:36 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,990,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Are you affluent though?
I don’t see affluent residents moving, they are fixing up their houses and looking around to where else they should invest in second houses. Not actually changing domicile because it is a great life if it is affordable.
The less affluent are moving because they find it too difficult to keep up with the high costs.
Very affluent families are packing up and leaving my area because they no longer have to commute into NYC.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:37 PM

7,254 posts, read 4,802,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Vermont is #1 per the linked article:
There are several blue states on the list

The 1 thing in common with all of those states is the low populations in comparison to the states they leave. Correlation is people want space or land.
Maybe to some extent but look at blue states like IL. There's crowded areas near Chicago and that's it, the rest is semi-rural or rural with small towns and small populations. Same with NY. And depending on where they're moving in those states makes a huge difference too. Portland OR and surrounding burbs are packed with people, the rest not so much.

True that VT is likely attracting people who are tired of crowds, and probably left leaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies