Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 12:27 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Not sure what your point is. Adam and Eve probably were not real people. Most Jews take them as figurative, seeing as Adam is the Hebrew word for humanity/mankind.

off the top of my head the word Adam means man/kind made from the red earth , because Eve was intact within the body of Adam before they were divided into two human beings.

some jewish believers think that Adam and Eve are real people and other do not believe.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
No, no one knows this to be truth. And anyone who's being honest will concede that the modern-day Bible and the texts from which it was derived may very well carry different messages.

Arsenokoités and Malakos: Meanings and Consequences | CLGS

And where did "GOD" say any of this, either in the Old or New Testament? As of yet, I maintain that "GOD" didn't say it, just people who have an obvious prejudice against gays, because that's the only group of biblically defined "sinners" they don't want getting married or adopting children, evidently.

Yes, if they leave you. If you ended the marriage, according to the Bible, you may not remarry unless you ended it because they were cheating on you.

So again, the fact that there is seemingly no opposition among so-called "Christians" to all the remarriage going on (a "sin" explicity defined in the Bible) and so much opposition to gay marriage (something they've only reasoned to be a sin) tells me that what motivates them is not reverence for what "GOD" has told them to do, but a prejudice that is all their own and cannot be blamed on the Bible.
I'm not trying to convert you over into my way of thinking om homosexual marriage that would be impossible , however what I'm trying to do is lay out the facts before you. God is the one who designed marriage " case in point ( Adam and Eve ) and not ( Adam and Steve ) "that's the way it was from the very beginning until God allowed men to have multiple wives " because of the hardness of theirs hearts.

I'm going to give you some scriptures tomorrow and you can reject or accept them at your own will , because I'm too busy to do it tonight otherwise I would do it tonight . I'm against homosexual marriage just like I'm against common law marriages but at the end of the day I can't stop common law marriage and homosexual marriages , domestic partnerships or civil unions or any other type of relationship that people want to get into. But the thing about me is I'm not losing any sleep over this matter like a lot of people are doing , because as long as I know the truth the sunshine will always shine on me tomorrow.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:55 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,769,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I'm not trying to convert you over into my way of thinking om homosexual marriage that would be impossible , however what I'm trying to do is lay out the facts before you.
You aren't presenting facts, you're presenting your opinion, based on your interpretation, of a text 4000 years removed from its language, context, and culture.

Quote:
God is the one who designed marriage " case in point ( Adam and Eve ) and not ( Adam and Steve ) "that's the way it was from the very beginning until God allowed men to have multiple wives " because of the hardness of theirs hearts.
God never made explicit statements about marriage. Heterosexuality is by far the most common form of relationship, thus the cultures in question are obviously going to discuss that as the majority audience. The fact that the Bible doesn't specific a minority situation, does not mean anything. The Bible never mentions Intersex individuals either, and yet they exist. You're trying to add to the Bible what isn't there. Jesus said something about that being very bad.

Quote:
I'm going to give you some scriptures tomorrow and you can reject or accept them at your own will , because I'm too busy to do it tonight otherwise I would do it tonight . I'm against homosexual marriage just like I'm against common law marriages but at the end of the day I can't stop common law marriage and homosexual marriages , domestic partnerships or civil unions or any other type of relationship that people want to get into. But the thing about me is I'm not losing any sleep over this matter like a lot of people are doing , because as long as I know the truth the sunshine will always shine on me tomorrow.
If you're going to quote any of the famed "Clobber" passages (Leviticus, Romans, Corinthians, Timothy), don't bother. I assure you you don't understand them, and I'm frankly tired of texts being pulled out of context to condemn people.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:13 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,385,808 times
I notice you didn't give a direct response to the link I gave you...

Quote:
I'm not trying to convert you over into my way of thinking om homosexual marriage that would be impossible , however what I'm trying to do is lay out the facts before you. God is the one who designed marriage " case in point ( Adam and Eve ) and not ( Adam and Steve ) "that's the way it was from the very beginning until God allowed men to have multiple wives " because of the hardness of theirs hearts.
Okay, the fact that God's very existence is not factual aside, where does the bible say God allowed men to have multiple wives "because of the hardness of their hearts"? Further, where does it say that every couple after Adam and Eve should have anything in common with them? Might as well use this logic to argue that only nudists should be allowed to marry

These are the same people who messed everything up in the first place, according to the Bible. And now you want us all to imitate them!?

Quote:
I'm going to give you some scriptures tomorrow and you can reject or accept them at your own will , because I'm too busy to do it tonight otherwise I would do it tonight .
Deal

Quote:
I'm against homosexual marriage just like I'm against common law marriages but at the end of the day I can't stop common law marriage and homosexual marriages , domestic partnerships or civil unions or any other type of relationship that people want to get into. But the thing about me is I'm not losing any sleep over this matter like a lot of people are doing , because as long as I know the truth the sunshine will always shine on me tomorrow.
Well I will agree with one thing: It is easier to not worry and be happy like the song says, when it isn't your freedoms being messed with or your behavior being judged. The sun will shine on us both tomorrow, because we're heterosexual and therefore not obligated to justify loving who we love to the rest of the world. I'm just glad I live in this day and age; otherwise, I'd be very much in the same boat as the homosexuals because the love of my life happens to be a different skin tone than I

Thankfully, society has at least evolved to see the silliness in opposing interracial marriage. So because things are working just as I need them to personally, all is right with the world

Old 10-06-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I notice you didn't give a direct response to the link I gave you...
Quote:
I didn't believe a word of the link therefore I didn't respond to it

Okay, the fact that God's very existence is not factual aside, where does the bible say God allowed men to have multiple wives "because of the hardness of their hearts"?

You
can't prove the super natural can you (?) When the scribes and pharisee question Jesus on Divorce!

Further, where does it say that every couple after Adam and Eve should have anything in common with them? Might as well use this logic to argue that only nudists should be allowed to marry

Adam and Eve were perfect and a role model for every person to come after them. Before my kids came along I walk around the house nude myself " I was married just like Adam and Steve" Oh My Bad (Eve).

These are the same people who messed everything up in the first place, according to the Bible. And now you want us all to imitate them!?

Adam and Eve (not) Adam and Steve were far greater human beings than we are and will ever become. You and I would've messed it up a great deal more than a perfect man and woman.

Deal

Well I will agree with one thing: It is easier to not worry and be happy like the song says, when it isn't your freedoms being messed with or your behavior being judged.

If I was a BIGOT it would be the hardest thing from me to do , but I'm not a bigot so it's was a walk in the park for me you see. Homosexual aren't worried about equal rights and theirs freedom " get this " they are worried about being judged ( and remember the bible tells me not to judge doesn't it ) well I'm not saying that I'm sending them to Hell " out here in California I have worked with and been around " a whole lot of (Gays) ( Homosexuals) and some of them are the best people that you could ever meet.

Homosexuals next agenda is to viewed as totally normal like the Heterosexuals , and if you aren't aware of this you very soon will be , so GOD says that the SUN SHINES on the good and the bad , and THE RAIN falls on the just and the unjust " everybody have a great day tomorrow.

The sun will shine on us both tomorrow, because we're heterosexual and therefore not obligated to justify loving who we love to the rest of the world. I'm just glad I live in this day and age; otherwise, I'd be very much in the same boat as the homosexuals because the love of my life happens to be a different skin tone than I

You better pick the right state to live in one of MITT Advisor called POTUS Barack Obama LAZY and a PIZZA BOY....LOL......all states of the United States didn't BAN INTERRACIAL MARRIAGE

Thankfully, society has at least evolved to see the silliness in opposing interracial marriage. So because things are working just as I need them to personally, all is right with the world

My wife wants to use the INTERNET YOUR TIME IS UP(!)

Old 10-06-2012, 07:46 PM

269 posts, read 255,842 times
Can anyone prove morality? No. Not ONE person who goes out of their way to position themselves as a moral arbiter can prove why their morality should be adhered to. What makes morality, what's moral, black and white.

So putting that catch-word out of the way, we look at facts. Factually speaking, there is no logical reason to be anti-gay, let alone be against marriage equality. It's akin to being anti left-handedness. The only so-called reasons NOT based on emotion are tradition and procreation. Although even the tradition argument, is really an emotional attachment to things "they way they've always been." That isn't a valid reason to stop progress. Traditions begin and end. And we all know procreation has never been a requirement to be married.

So, no, same-sex couples marrying is not a moral issue. It's a social issue and it's a legal issue. Moral, no.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I didn't believe a word of the link therefore I didn't respond to it
If you can't provide a counterargument, maybe, just maybe that means you could be wrong? Maybe what the modern day Bible says about homosexuality isn't what the original texts said?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0
where does the bible say God allowed men to have multiple wives "because of the hardness of their hearts"?
Quote:
You can't prove the super natural can you (?) When the scribes and pharisee question Jesus on Divorce!
In other words, you cannot show us where in the Bible "GOD" supposedly said this... Okay.

Quote:
where does it say that every couple after Adam and Eve should have anything in common with them?"
Quote:
Adam and Eve were perfect and a role model for every person to come after them. Before my kids came along I walk around the house nude myself " I was married just like Adam and Steve" Oh My Bad (Eve).
So again, this isn't something the Bible ("GOD") says. It's just something you say, gotcha.

Quote:
Quote:
Adam and Eve (not) Adam and Steve were far greater human beings than we are and will ever become. You and I would've messed it up a great deal more than a perfect man and woman.
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the notion of Adam and Eve being "perfect" isn't biblical, either. This is more of you pushing your own personal reasoning as the will of God. Risky business for a believer, if I'm not mistaken.

At any rate, I disagree. I think I would've been leery of advice coming from a talking snake

Old 10-07-2012, 07:08 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,502,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101flyboy View Post
Can anyone prove morality? No. Not ONE person who goes out of their way to position themselves as a moral arbiter can prove why their morality should be adhered to. What makes morality, what's moral, black and white.

So putting that catch-word out of the way, we look at facts. Factually speaking, there is no logical reason to be anti-gay, let alone be against marriage equality. It's akin to being anti left-handedness. The only so-called reasons NOT based on emotion are tradition and procreation. Although even the tradition argument, is really an emotional attachment to things "they way they've always been." That isn't a valid reason to stop progress. Traditions begin and end. And we all know procreation has never been a requirement to be married.

So, no, same-sex couples marrying is not a moral issue. It's a social issue and it's a legal issue. Moral, no.
Logic --- A > B; B > C; therefore, A > C. Fido is a dog; All dogs are animals; therefore, Fido is an animal.

How many social policies or personal opinions have the certainty of logic ? Most people have developed some sense of right and wrong, through being taught, life experience, revelation, or something else.

Though you and others mock 'tradition,' the nation's history, traditions, and practice are used by our courts to determine whether a right is fundamental under the Due Process Clause.

True, procreation isn't a requirement to be married. But civic marriage in the U.S. is in part to encourage heterosexual couples to bear and raise children in committed married relationships, as imperfect as they are.
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

Old 10-07-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
True, procreation isn't a requirement to be married. But civic marriage in the U.S. is in part to encourage heterosexual couples to bear and raise children in committed married relationships, as imperfect as they are.
Yeah, I've heard that claim before. Have yet to see any substantiation of it, of course...

Old 10-07-2012, 07:54 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,505 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've heard that claim before. Have yet to see any substantiation of it, of course...
You don't know that even today Catholic church grants anullemnet of marriage if parties can't have offspring together?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies