Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 05:43 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Robin, are you even thinking before you type? Doesn't seem like it to me.

Exactly. I know the poster you're replying to didn't say this, but it reminds me of another non-argument. There are many different (and shady) tactics they pull to avoid discussing the real issue. The whole "Oh, why don't they just get over it!?" attitude is particularly amusing. I also like the bit about how "Gays have equal rights because they can marry someone of the opposite sex just like we can!" It's like they don't even fully understand what being homosexual means, yet they feel they're experts on the subject
It's strange since I'm straight and can understand what they are actually fighting for and everyone else around me ignores the most obvious reason for the discussion

Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,590,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
What bearing does a religious text have on secular law again?

I'm confused.
it has no bearing " none whatsoever " to people that don't believe in the religious text , but people that believe in the religious text tend to try and base theirs laws on that " said religious text " for an example take a look at the founding fathers. George Washington and others and almost a century later Abraham Lincoln believed in the ( Daddy In The Sky ) along with the majority of other government leaders " and this was true up to about 50 years ago ( The 1960"s) .

So people like me that can't support ssm , and truly want homosexuals to have a set aside domestic relationship/institution equal to marriage support Domestic Partnership and Civil Unions in stead of Homosexual Marriage because Heterosexual Marriage is sacred to us ( and we are not Bigots ).

Last edited by Howest2008; 10-05-2012 at 10:45 AM..

Old 10-05-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Why do you insist on ending a sentence with the ellipsis grammar tool when it's not meant for such a thing? Nevermind the fact that you need an extra period after the ellipsis in order to complete the sentence. You just let that drag on and you sound incredibly teen-angst like by doing so.

That being said - why do so many detractors of SSM always refer to some religious text when as arguments against a secular law? There's separation of church and state for a reason. Take a look at Iran for a government where religion is infused within.
because it's my prerogative to do so as I wasn't even attempting to follow proper grammar rules. your option of me being a teeny bopper is interesting , but of no concern to me,

Old 10-05-2012, 10:56 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
it has no bearing " none whatsoever " to people that don't believe in the religious text , but people that believe in the religious text tend to try and base theirs laws on that " said religious text "
Not from what I've seen. Most of the "Christians" I've spoken with on the subject of polygamy, for example, are very much against it. And that's just one of billions of examples. Frankly, I think so many "Christians" oppose gay marriage due to personal prejudice that cannot be blamed on God, Jesus, or the Bible.

Quote:
So people like me that can't support ssm , and truly want homosexuals to have a set aside domestic relationship/institution equal to marriage support Domestic Partnership and Civil Unions in stead of Homosexual Marriage because Heterosexual Marriage is sacred to us ( and we are not Bigots ).
Of course you can support it. Opposing gay marriage is not biblical. People have only reasoned that since the modern-day Bible condemns homosexuality (it's being debated whether or not homosexuality was condemned in the original texts), that gay marriage is also a "sin". But that reasoning is no more solid than an alternative I can offer: Not letting them marry just means they'll be committing two sins instead of one (homosexual acts + fornication). I know that it has been implied that letting gays marry "encourages" homosexuality. But since it has yet to be established that at least some gays are not born that way, this assumption is unfounded.

Interestingly enough, it would make more sense to keep psychics, adulterers, prostitutes, and promoters of other religions from getting married or adopting (since these are all things people unquestionably choose to do, and therefore can by encouraged to do). However, all these people are allowed to marry. Hmm, strange.

Opposing remarriage is biblical, however. But I've never heard of a Christian or Christian group publicly encouraging/pushing for legislation pertaining to remarriage. Why? Simple. They don't have a prejudice against people who remarry.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Marriage predates Judeo-Christianity. Christianity did not involve itself with marriage until the 16th Century. In case you weren't aware, Christianity didn't exist when Jesus turned water into wine.
Quote:
I never said Jewish weddings didn't exist. But they weren't the only types of marriage, nor did Jews create marriage.
marriage did exist during the beginning of the BIBLE in the form of bible stories, the BIBLE stories existed before the JUDEO-CHRISTIANITY text were written down...all of this came about long AFTER ADAM and EVE and ABRAHAM were dead and long after the GREAT FLOOD came and went . the jewish faith came into existence with MOSES and the LAW. CHRISTIANITY came into existence three day after JESUS was killed and was raised from the GRAVE. CHRISTIANITY involved themselves with MARRIAGE when JESUS was raised from the GRAVE 2,000 YEARS AGO

Last edited by Howest2008; 10-05-2012 at 12:18 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 11:27 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:

marriage did exist during the beginning of the BIBLE , the BIBLE existed before JUDEO-CHRISTIANITY...came about long AFTER ADAM and EVE and ABRAHAM were dead and long after the GREAT FLOOD came and went . the jewish faith came into existence with MOSES and the LAW. CHRISTIANITY came into existence three day after JESUS was killed and was raised from the GRAVE. CHRISTIANITY involved themselves with MARRIAGE when JESUS was raised from the GRAVE 2,000 YEARS AGO
Have no clue what you're rambling about but you have no idea what you're saying. The current Bible didn't exist until well after Christianity started. The Hebrew Bible did not exist before Judaism.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Not from what I've seen. Most of the "Christians" I've spoken with on the subject of polygamy, for example, are very much against it. And that's just one of billions of examples. Frankly, I think so many "Christians" oppose gay marriage due to personal prejudice that cannot be blamed on God, Jesus, or the Bible.

Of course you can support it. Opposing gay marriage is not biblical. People have only reasoned that since the modern-day Bible condemns homosexuality (it's being debated whether or not homosexuality was condemned in the original texts), that gay marriage is also a "sin". But that reasoning is no more solid than an alternative I can offer: Not letting them marry just means they'll be committing two sins instead of one (homosexual acts + fornication).

I know that it has been implied that letting gays marry "encourages" homosexuality. But since it has yet to be established that at least some gays are not born that way, this assumption is unfounded.

Interestingly enough, it would make more sense to keep psychics, adulterers, prostitutes, and promoters of other religions from getting married or adopting (since these are all things people unquestionably choose to do, and therefore can by encouraged to do). However, all these people are allowed to marry. Hmm, strange.

Opposing remarriage is biblical, however. But I've never heard of a Christian or Christian group publicly encouraging/pushing for legislation pertaining to remarriage. Why? Simple. They don't have a prejudice against people who remarry.
I can't support ssm but I can support domestic partnerships and civil unions which would give gays equal rights. the BIBLE condemns all homosexual acts in the original language and text , and every homosexual church know this to be the truth , so they use the logic that a loving GOD would not send a gay to HELL.

now if GOD says that a marriage is one man and one woman under christianity and one man and multiple woman under the law of moses " anything different to that is a sin unto GOD meaning that all homosexual marriages are a sin.

I view homosexual marriage and domestic partnerships and civil unions pretty much like I view COMMON LAW MARRIAGES when two members of the opposite sex live in the same household as man and wife over a set time limit set by the state they live in. common law marriage husbands and wives don't have wedding licenses from the government , but do have martial right if they go through a court hearing before a judge.

the BIBLE states that there are two reason ADULTERY and DESERTION that could DISSOLVE A MARRIAGE and ALLOW for REMARRIAGE.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Have no clue what you're rambling about but you have no idea what you're saying. The current Bible didn't exist until well after Christianity started. The Hebrew Bible did not exist before Judaism.
I was sort of hard to understand what I meant was that the text and stories in the BIBLE existed before they were written down into the so called BIBLE ADAM and EVE predates the bible.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:13 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
I was sort of hard to understand what I meant was that the text and stories in the BIBLE existed before they were written down into the so called BIBLE ADAM and EVE predates the bible.
Not sure what your point is. Adam and Eve probably were not real people. Most Jews take them as figurative, seeing as Adam is the Hebrew word for humanity/mankind.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:23 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:
I can't support ssm but I can support domestic partnerships and civil unions which would give gays equal rights. the BIBLE condemns all homosexual acts in the original language and text , and every homosexual church know this to be the truth , so they use the logic that a loving GOD would not send a gay to HELL.
No, no one knows this to be truth. And anyone who's being honest will concede that the modern-day Bible and the texts from which it was derived may very well carry different messages.

Arsenokoités and Malakos: Meanings and Consequences | CLGS

Quote:
now if GOD says that a marriage is one man and one woman under christianity and one man and multiple woman under the law of moses " anything different to that is a sin unto GOD meaning that all homosexual marriages are a sin.
And where did "GOD" say any of this, either in the Old or New Testament? As of yet, I maintain that "GOD" didn't say it, just people who have an obvious prejudice against gays, because that's the only group of biblically defined "sinners" they don't want getting married or adopting children, evidently.

Quote:
the BIBLE states that there are two reason ADULTERY and DESERTION that could DISSOLVE A MARRIAGE and ALLOW for REMARRIAGE.
Yes, if they leave you. If you ended the marriage, according to the Bible, you may not remarry unless you ended it because they were cheating on you.

So again, the fact that there is seemingly no opposition among so-called "Christians" to all the remarriage going on (a "sin" explicity defined in the Bible) and so much opposition to gay marriage (something they've only reasoned to be a sin) tells me that what motivates them is not reverence for what "GOD" has told them to do, but a prejudice that is all their own and cannot be blamed on the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies